Opening builds and strategies?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, October 10, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I've been playing Statera for much too long.

I used to be a pretty good player in the past, but now I really have no idea what build to use, or how to affectivevely use the units.

Any opening builds you know that work? The last time I played vanilla was before the factory first, and Statera has extra storage rather than extra production.

I heard something like... One factory, two fabs with that, then some units, commander builds second factory, and then sort of expand.

Anybody mind giving some help, so I can get back into the competitive spirit? It's hard to manage all these strategies in multiple balances without getting mixed up. :p
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I can't help you with competitive.

But usually, first factory, two fabbers, com builds factory's while fabbers build radar/power/mex's

Usually does me for the basic early game, building more fabbers if I have space/time, or just going full production if a enemy is close enough to raid and harass continuously.

3 fabbers is great early game, but more then that needs serious power plant construction with your factory's running.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I highly recommend using pa stats replays to see what the top players use, because it's actually kinda complicated the build i use personally. It's also easier to watch a game.

Looking at the replays of people like foerest, zykey, elodea etc. should really give some nice builds.

Again, i don't want to sound cocky or some other word that describes this but i think i made a pretty good replay example in this game i had with a player called Jaguar. It was a nice game tbh.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

BUILD MOAR UNITS!!!

And blow up the enemy commander.

Do that, and you'll win – I guarantee it.
    radongog and Geers like this.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Pfff...

I had no idea, thank you!

Oh, random, but I just received the singularity trophy, one of the secret trophies, really wish I knew what it was. -.-
    Remy561 likes this.
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

fac fac mex fac mex mex pgen fac pgen pgen pgen pgen pgen fac fac fac

First fac should make two fabs for expansion + radar and then spam dox. Bot fac first is the only way this patch.

Singularity is for 2000 likes by the look of it.
  7. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

Press random buttons till something happens
    Remy561, Kryoclasm and igncom1 like this.
  8. stuart98

Bro, that ain't rad.
  9. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Go orbital that's usually who always wins
  10. stuart98

lolnope.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

What would you do without me? ;-)
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  12. Kryoclasm

Kryoclasm New Member

I have been watching videos by Masterofrofolness. Has helped me tremendusly and they are very entertaining to watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterofRoflness
  13. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Opening builds will definitely vary depending how you play yourself. Personally I like to get a good eco going so I don't run into trouble later so I start with building 3 metals and 2 power gens, then I work on a aerial defensive parameter around my base so air factory and bot factory to defend from the rush of ground attacks. After that I'll just keep on going with building either more factories or walls and defense turrets/aa depending on the type of game, how many players are playing, if all starting on the same planet ect.... You don't need to go completely all out eco at the start, 3 metals is all you need to spew out fighters fast and 2 power gens is more then enough for your first few buildings but I would suggest not waiting too long before you build T2 power gens and some storage's for them.

About all the advice I can give, I'm not a competitive player, just play against AI so as I said, depends on your play style but thats how I start... I'm sure a few players don't like talking about their start build, me, I don't play online so don't matter to me lol..
  14. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

HERETIC BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!1!1!!11
    masterofroflness and squishypon3 like this.
  15. steambirds

steambirds Member

My opening depends on what type of planet I am on. If I am on a moon, I'll start with an air factory and a bot factory. On any other planet I usually just go two bot factories.
  16. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I personally think air is *very* powerful this patch, so I usually start bot -> air (especially on larger maps where the speed of air can allow you to harass quickly).

Also 1 fabber expansion can work (but you *have* to look after it) as that way you can run an additional factory early on.

If your on a small map, moving to tanks earlier is a good idea as their additional health / fire-power can be brought to bear quickly enough to not just get swamped by dox. In that situation getting a couple of bot factories + couple of air then hard tanks works well (especially if you push hard with you com backed up by the tanks- the com can demolish blobs of dox and allow the tanks to get in close).

Larger maps are better suited to hard dox + air instead, at least until you can build a gate up close to your opponent to get the tanks in range.

As many have said it's highly situational- there is no '1 build to rule them all' which is nice, even if certain aspects are common.
  17. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I noticed your dox take out the bombers fairly easily. My main weakness is that my doxes die cause of bombers : / . Do I have to get a bigger group which takes out the bombers?
  18. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

You can dodge bombers but it needs close attention to the micro, you will usually lose 1 or 2 dox though however quick you are. The best counter to bombers is the Commanders AA :p
  19. cdrkf

Small groups of dox are bomber fodder- the larger the group the more air resistant it is, though it is situation dependent- a large group of dox, in the open with nothing else to shoot at will kill bombers, the same group of dox attacking some building will get *shredded* by bombers as they're already focusing on firing at the buildings (which have *lots* of health).

Another issue for dox vs bombers is you can use fighters (more dox resistant due to speed) to fly over and distract the dox thus allowing you to get bombers in to kill them....
  20. cdrkf

Good point- with small groups of dox you can dodge if you've got the micro skillz :p