Uber, can we get a PA devlog like Amplitude do for their games?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by rabbit9000, October 7, 2014.

1. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

http://g2g.amplitude-studios.com/RoadMap2/Dungeon-of-the-Endless

This here is a roadmap to one of the best games to ever come out of an early access program, Dungeon Of The Endless.

I think PA really needs this now for the rest of its developed life. It'd be great for the community to track milestones and also would stop a lot of people wondering and asking when feature X is going to added to the game.

I for one would love to see where Unit Cannons are currently, or the UberKrogoth or the functionality of Save Games.

The same thing could probably be done for Human Resources too.

They also have a really cool public design document that includes customer requested features and whether its even reasonable to add them alongside their own ideas for the game

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?20930-G2G-Amplitude-s-List-of-Community-Feedback

If Uber were to follow Amplitude's model of public development and community interaction it might really smooth over some of the wrinkles between them and their highly strung community.
    nawrot, vegnis, Fricia and 1 other person like this.
  2. genouious

genouious Member

I shall second this!
    nawrot likes this.
  3. HeadClot

HeadClot Member

I shall third this!
    nawrot likes this.
  4. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

I'm gonna add that I probably AM one of the highly strung members of the community.
  5. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Agreed!
  6. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

1) how dare you, the best Early Access game is obviously either Stonehearth (it has one of these, too) or Maia.

:p

2) while this would be pretty, and nice, it doesn't actually help Uber or the community.

You could have a milestone sitting at 20% for three months. People would still ask the same questions.
    HeadClot and igncom1 like this.
  7. HeadClot

HeadClot Member

What about a public Trello page?

Similar to what Epic games does?

LINK - https://trello.com/b/gHooNW9I/ue4-roadmap
  8. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

That's more of a project management tool (similar to Yodiz, if you want to Google that, albeit Trello is public-facing) - also an important distinction is that's there because UE4 development has been open-sourced to an extent - you can have community contributors, etc.

I doubt Uber have such plans for PA, at least yet. Their robust modding framework seems more of a priority, and quite honestly is probably why these features take so long for Uber to implement (complete guesswork). Designing something to work is one thing. Designing it to work with generic use cases, have extensibility and also protected visibility (so modders can work on it without horrifically breaking core components) is another thing entirely. I have some experience in designing (and writing) such systems myself (back in university I did my final year project on it, worked on concepts in the years since then).

Don't get me wrong - it's a good idea. If Uber decide to do this, I'd be happy.

I just don't think it'll necessarily help the core problem of people being dissatisfied with Uber's rate of progress (which will invariably differ per person).