Kremlinology

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nimro, October 6, 2014.

1. nimro

nimro Member

Since the announcement of Human Resources there has been a great deal of (often hilarious) tea-leaf reading going on in the forums, and on the subreddit(1). I'd just like to remind everyone of the advice on the cover of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic.

I'd like to share three choice quotes from the Human Resources announcement thread:

There really is no need to jump onto the forums in a panic and post about the abandonment of PA, how Uber is just grabbing all the money it can, how Uber is obviously going to run out of money within 30 days, how the whole Uber staff have new Maseratis and have pre-ordered the solid gold Apple Watch. It's going to be OK. We don't get an overabundance of communication from Uber, sure. But we have had one communication, which told us everything we need to know: PA is still being worked on, we're still going to get shiny new things.

Good things, done properly, take time :)

(1) Although the subreddit does have the "WE'RE ALL DOOMED' level turned up to 11, here it's a cool 7 ;)
  2. nimro

nimro Member

Whoops this was meant to go in General Discussion! If a mod could move it for me I would be eternally grateful. :oops:

Edit: THANK YOU KIND AND GENTLE MODERATOR
    Last edited: October 6, 2014
    cptconundrum likes this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I even moved it before I saw your report :p

That Kremlinologie stuff is funny. Nice example of how too much silence creates ground for too much speculation.
    Remy561, nimro and FSN1977 like this.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I love how you spelt it wrong even though it's right in front of you and you obviously read up on it.
  5. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Another thing:
    Any work on the Uber engine(I'm just calling it that, its the engine PA runs on) that happens as a result of the HR project will benefit PA.

If during HR development they implement a new method that improves the framerate by 10 fps, then PA will improve by 10 fps. They are using the same engine!
  6. doud

doud Well-Known Member

The typical marketting bullshit i hear all the time in the software company i work for, in order to justify failures to deliver promises to customers. In the end, something new has been created - BAAS The bullshit as a service -
    abubaba likes this.
  7. cola_colin

My mind germanized it.
    Raevn likes this.
  8. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Dont worry too much, the goal will probably not be reached.
  9. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I even heard one of the other Uber games (the one you least expect) is running on an early version of the PA Engine.

I had some thoughts on about how limited the Uber Engine we have now is regarding Asymetric Faction support (largely initiated by the HR kickstarter):
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/thoughts-on-asymetric-factions.64971/

HR has to be designed for truly asymetric factions. So that means they have to develop the Engine into that direction, making asymetric factions a thing for PA too (hopefully).
  10. cola_colin

How exactly is the engine not able to deal with asymetric factions?
    You could mod those into PA right now.
  11. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Wat? How is asymmetrical factions an engine limitation? We already have access to different tech in GW, how are separate factions different? It's just about content, not the engine itself.

Edit: ninja'd by colin.
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

He actually spelt it right by french standarts.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Don't desecrate The Queen's English!
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@Geers -_-" I'm in a clan with "phoenix" in it.