Offline Play Is Coming October 9

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, October 7, 2014.

1. jimosfear

jimosfear Member

Holy damage control for a flailing kickstarter...

Being able to play galactic war offline wasn't the sort of offline I was looking forward to though. Hosting our own servers is what we want and it is "down the road".

If "down the road" is within 28 days, I could see myself chipping in to the new kickstarter. Never has there been such an ambiguous deadline as "down the road".
    cmdandy, Remy561, ArchieBuld and 3 others like this.
  2. pizzapotamus

pizzapotamus Member

That would be completely freaking unreasonable as they pitched it as a DRM free game, it's really simple DRM free means no DRM, zero, zilch, zip, nada.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  3. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Hosting server more important than offline and LAN skirmishes? o_O
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well then I guess you think playing on playfab shouldn't require a login either? I don't think it's unreasonable for a company to have something to sell. Anyway evidently I was wrong on that part!
    spittoon and dom314 like this.
  5. pizzapotamus

pizzapotamus Member

Maybe your only issue is whether Uber fulfills their promises from the PA kickstarter and you can't care about DRM as general principle one way or the other but if that's not the case you should note that in the FAQ for the HR kickstarter they state directly that the game will have always online DRM(and that that is a great thing!).
    elkanfirst and kayonsmit101 like this.
  6. cdrkf

Cola thinks he can mod that in anyway- lan means it has pretty much everything needed, the host your own servers is probably limited by ui, which cola says he can handle in pa stats, will be interesting :)
  7. jimosfear

jimosfear Member

It was a core promise of the PA kickstarter, I remember this clearly. It has been a long time.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  8. cdrkf

Actually the faq for hr also states offline is a possibility depending on funding... I think they may be saving that capability for an update during the campaign, you need to have some room to up the ante during a kickstarter if you want to keep the pledges going...
  9. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Eh, it will come. I have no doubt about it.
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Hey, I'm waiting until I get this patch in-hand to test it out - but if it pans out as promised, I'll be backing HR. I just am waiting to confirm that I can actually play offline entirely (no DRM). If you can host a LAN server (as they have said you will be able to) it literally means you can host a private server and have whoever from where ever you want join it, they just need to know what your IP address is.

So like I said before, the only thing they're likely missing is a way to publish your hosted server on a global server list. Which is reasonable, considering that their tech is possibly set up to look through their known Playfab servers for games, not the entire internet.
  11. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Yeap! And you can use programs like Hamachi? (I think) to play over "LAN" over the internets.
  12. pizzapotamus

pizzapotamus Member

They can certainly require a login when using their crap-arse severs for multiplayer, but if using their own servers is the only way then it's not DRM free and they pitched it as DRM free. Whether it's reasonable in the general case to expect to own the product you've purchased and be able to use it in the future is something we apparently disagree upon however in this specific case it's completely reasonable as *it is what they said they would deliver*. Also they "they wouldn't have anything to sell" is complete nonsense, they'd sell the game, just you know without DRM,like any number of DRM free games that people still buy, or music from itunes, etc.
  13. cdrkf

Well they're releasing the server capability, so irrespective there isn't anything to argue about :p

For the record I'm not a fan of drm either, however I really don't think we have anything to complain about where pa is concerned.
  14. pizzapotamus

pizzapotamus Member

I'm just saying if someone actually cares about DRM as a key feature they probably don't want to pay for something that currently says online only DRM...especially when they say it'll make the game better. We'll consider it later isnt' really something to put money down on. If "later" ever happens then giving them money would make sense(assuming DRM was the hold up) but just throw money at them and hope? Nope.
  15. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Yeeeaah, that way you will be able to pirate the game and you would have a built-in online play for you. Sweet idea.
  16. pizzapotamus

pizzapotamus Member

Well I backed it so I wouldn't be pirating it......and once again whether or not it's a good idea in general(we disagree) *IT'S WHAT UBER SAID THEY WOULD DELIVER* and apparently are, eventually at some point in the future...although they'd sold it as at release.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  17. cdrkf

Oh! Follow you now we're talking hr... Yeah that's exactly why I think its going to be an update during the kickstarter. There are plenty of anti drm people who won't back the game due to the statement about drm.

Thing is hr is going to be built on pa, and now there is no question that pa engine has the capability. So I'm predicting that drm free will get added to the hr campaign as a 'due to popular demand' type deal to help build up the hype again and increase pledges.

I'm also expecting mac and linux announcements as again these as pre existing capabilities already in the engine. Uber did this during the pa campaign as well, its important not to play all your cards at once with a 30 day campaign!
  18. valheria

valheria Active Member

About bloody time..
  19. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

THE Thing we´ve been waiting for!
    So now: Don´t shut up, but take my money anyways! :D
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  20. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

I'll like to join the happy f** around time, but i am a bad bad person.
    Anybody thinked about performance ? If this update does not include some HEAVY optimisations, i feel some people will be very frustrated...
    Nice lag server side, nice ressources consumption client side.
    Now run both of them on your own computer.
    (i told you i am a bad person... Altrough the removal of the bandwith bottleneck should maybe help a bit !)
    Have a nice day ! :)