Uber, Please Give Us an Update on Server/Offline/Saves

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, October 5, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I would love you forever if you give us the ability to host our own servers.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

From what I currently know of the way the client connects to servers *if* I can make the server we get on the 9th bind to an external IP I should be able to make the server bind to an external ip, report that to pa stats and have pa stats add that server to your server browser.

... is what I am looking to try. You know I don't give up easily.
  3. brianpurkiss

I will send you as many virtual hugs, thumbs ups, brownie points, high fives, and good vibes as I can.

I believe in you!!!
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Do what the rest of us did and send him 4000 likes! :p
    proeleert, cwarner7264 and stuart98 like this.
  5. portable

portable Active Member

Ok, wait a sec. You call Brad a troll, then he shows up, and says:

"Modders should have a field day with this. You can do 40 player games with this release, though it's not officially supported yet. We've got UI stuff to do on our end, in addition to other work."

Let's go over that again:
    - Modders get stuff! (Uh, no specifics?)
    - 40 players get stuff! (Uh, did you fix the server crashing?)
    - UI gets stuff! (...)
    - Other stuff!

So, you call him a troll, then he shows up and trolls you, then you shower him with lots of love and likes.

Well, I've seen it all. Mad props to Brad. Well played sir.
    Last edited: October 7, 2014
  6. portable

portable Active Member

7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

• Modders already have a pretty good idea of what we get. It will still be fun to figure out just what we can do with this new feature. A couple of us already have plans for some experimental improvements. Also, modders usually have good access to the devs that worked on different parts of the game. A lot of us have been able to send a pm or start a thread and get a direct response within a day or two. Try getting that kind of support from a vendor on a product in an enterprise environment.
    • I have not seen a server crash in a while now. I guess that means yes?
    • Cool, new UI stuff! I'll go take a look at the code as soon as the update comes in.
    • Yay other stuff! Read the patch notes.
    pieman2906 likes this.
  8. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

jvickers and brianpurkiss like this.
  9. brianpurkiss

Just because he has trolled people in the past doesn't mean he trolls people with every post. I also don't see how providing more info about my question is trolls me. And just because he's the one who announced what the entire team at Uber has been doing mean I'm showering him with love and likes.

I completely fail to see your points.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Update: It is on Oct. 9th. So on 8th, I am guna play some new patch of RenX, on 9th I am guna play some new patch of PA. Thread solved, all go home.
  11. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

That's only one item of a very long bucket list.
    Antiglow and ozonexo3 like this.
  12. portable

portable Active Member

Well, I considered deleting my posts after reading more of the forum, and then figured, "ah, what the heck."
  13. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Flailing? I mentioned it once, and didn't use it to disprove any points already made.

I guess I should be flattered I have a stalker :D

Dismissing my post(s) as bait is an attack on my character, because you're insinuating I'm not here for constructive debate. Which I am (or was, before people started dogpiling on me :p).

And I read your post. You evidently didn't read mine, because I responded to that point (also, prior to an edit I swear that line read "Provide real information", as that's the post I was responding to).

If all your require is a set date for said information to be "meaningful", what happens when those deadlines change? This is why I asked you for a definition of real information that Uber could give that people can't then hold against them when development schedules (invariably) change.
    proeleert likes this.
  14. brianpurkiss

Well, I have written on this topic many times in the many threads that have been brought up in this past week or two. Deadlines don't need to be "October 22nd, at 4:52 in the evening." A broad, "in the next month or two" works just fine. As for meaningful information, there have been a number of excellent dev blogs released by some of the Uber employees. Those are also great. Other indie games also have short 2 paragraph snippets of what people are working on. Some are shorter, some are longer.

In short, any information that actually tells us something new and interesting other than "we're working on it."

And, if deadlines change, then an open line of communication helps with that. If we've been given updates, and then the deadlines move back a little bit here and there and Uber provides reasoning, then the community wouldn't get in an uproar. There are plenty of other games that are easy examples of this. (Limit Theory being my favorite example)

But a never ending state of silence or "we're working on it, btw, here's a feature you weren't asking for" isn't cool.

Uber used to only tell us "soon." That gets old. Really really fast.
    ooshr32, EdWood and Planktum like this.
  15. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I'm interested, genuinely, in the personal different (to you, at least), between:

"X is coming soon", and

"X is coming soon, probably in the next couple of months"

Because to me, both are equally-vague. A lot can happen in two months which could change the development plan irrevocably. Feature X could be delivered the day after (both statements). We wouldn't know.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. tigerwarrior

tigerwarrior Active Member

-sips some coffee, having just woken up and seeing the announcement- And you guys were worried. Psssshhhhhaawwww. Anybody else think Uber's gonna try and gonna roll us down a hill? -sips more coffee- Then again probably, cause I feel half of you will never ever be happy with the state of PA. Bunch a something or others... -grumbles- This oatmeal is too coooold
  17. mrguvernment

mrguvernment Member

Exactly, as you WOULD, sorry, be required to report to your normal investors, you should report something to your customer base investors and communicate with them, sure, not as much detail is required, but some insight would be appreciated. I handle the IT side of posts for our companies across forums and i make sure i communicate things as often as possible.

On 2 other forums I am a regular on, neither one likes HR and majority of people are saying they won't fund this game until PA kick starter promises are all met.

With the offline mode announced, funny enough suddenly after HR was announced and what seemed to be bad press around it...I think some faith will be brought back to the PA team.
    Last edited: October 8, 2014
  18. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

@mrguvernment, I am soooo confused by that quote nesting. Did something go wrong?
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The quote with "Mike" at the end is mine and I'm assuming the second one is his reply to that.

Mike
  20. mrguvernment

mrguvernment Member

fixed, sorry looks like i had also quoted myself!