KNight's Custom Commander Adventure

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by KNight, March 10, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I don't know what's transpired between you and uber, however I don't think it's worth not getting your custom commander.

I'm guessing they told you off at some point, rightly or wrongly, given your status as a higher level backer.

The thing is, not submitting your custom commander is unlikely to be noticed by anyone bar those already following this thread so it's a pretty empty gesture, and I think it isn't worth throwing a good opportunity away.

Honestly I don't really see what more you can do with tyrant beyond the armoury, so personally I'd submit that. Still if you really prefer not to, I liked some of your earlier concepts of tyrant that are a bit different. Also bear in mind that creative ip is somewhat more flexible than technological ip, so an exclusivity agreement on one model can be readily circumvented by making a number of adjustments to the design even if the core subject is the same, so submitting a version of tyrant shouldn't prevent you using a sufficiently modified version in another scenario.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Be that as it may, if it comes down to take-down notices or worse it'd be difficult for me to fight even if I did think I was in the right about having made sufficient changes. At the end of the day it's just not something I want to deal with at all so in order to make the best use of the Tyrant I need to keep it free from such complications.

Which concepts did you like from earlier in the Tyrant's design process? You can easily view the whole photoset here.

Mike
  3. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I say send in a model based around this version of the Tyrant.
    [​IMG]
    So just add a bit more detail and such, but basically use this model as the one to submit.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. KNight

I'll admit, at this point I had kind of forgotten about this variant, looking at it now I think I could probably make something out of it, go for more of a lithe/wiry build compared to the beefier Tyrant...

Mike
  5. Nicb1

Sounds like a good idea. Make sure to keep us posted about any progress you make on the model :)
  6. cdrkf

@KNight This is what I was thinking of :)
  7. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Dunno, I kinda like the Pathfinder more. Those brackets give him more distinctive look. This one is cool, but kinda generic - among one hundred of them he will be just lost.
  8. KNight

So lets try this;
    [​IMG]
    Neither is complete and not the best picture but it should work fine in terms of comparison.

Mike
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I prefer the left one - I feel like you can imagine why :)
  10. cdrkf

Actually side by side I prefer the left one as well. I think if you could include that 'open loop' motif over both shoulders as well it would look really distinctive :)
  11. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

+ 1 for the Pathfinder (is that some bull-bars concept commander ?)
    The other one looks like a schoolboy having such a heavy backpack ...

Tyrant or RIOT !
  12. Nicb1

I like both, why do you have to make us choose.
    Ah well, I'm leaning towards the left one.
  13. KNight

Clearly I am the most terrible person.

You should have seen me during the production of the first Basilisk for BlackOps, I was insufferable giving out hints and leading people on.....ah good times! ;p

Mike
    Devak and Nicb1 like this.
  14. KNight

Did some poking and prodding;
    [​IMG]
    Thoughts?

Mike
  15. cdrkf

I personally think the 45 degree angled shoulders on the earlier version were quite distinctive. Otherwise I think this version is a nice improvement :)

I'm glad your going to submit a commander, and as a plus we potentially get 2 'by knight premium brand' commanders to mess around with rather than just 1 :D
  16. KNight

I'm actually thinking of doing something more like a "bare" shoulder and bulking the upper arm up a bit more than usual.

Mike
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Nipple piercings.

Overall quite a nice guy(?) through.
    Last edited: October 7, 2014
    nanolathe likes this.
  18. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm interested to see what you do with those nanolathe tanks on the back :)
  19. TerrorScout

TerrorScout Member

I know its hard to let go of your work. But as long as you can still make a similar one for mods witch would be able to overcome some of the restrictions I think you should maybe rename it to something like Tyrant in another language and then put it in the store unless you know you will be needing it for a mod.

Now the new model looks like it has potential too but your best work should always be your newest work the Tyrant is not your best work ever unless you stop creating.
  20. KNight

My concerns don't actually directly relate to modding, the potential usage of the Tyrant goes beyond just PA and Uber.

I don't really want to get into a philosophical debate about my thoughts on my work, but I will say this. I can't believe something like that it's such a huge blanket statement and only applies to optimists. I'm a Realist and I know that while some of my newer works are certainly better than my older works it doesn't mean they all are and by no means is my newest work also by best work all the time.

It turns out that making the best anything is really hard because you have to beat out like 99% of everything else, by that measure it's much easier to make some good which is where I think a majority of my work falls into in the end, I don't have all that many duds in the end.

Things like the Basilisk MKII and the Tyrant will always be some of my favorite/best works not because of triangle counts or other concrete factors but because I like them, I have more of a connection with them compared to other works, and that's completely fine even if I never make anything I would rank "Better" and it's still okay even if I make new things and I rank them all together.

Mike
    Last edited: October 10, 2014
    squishypon3 likes this.