The Importance of Market Signals in a Free Market

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by cptusmc, October 6, 2014.

1. cptusmc

cptusmc Active Member

@tiblolan has done a fantastic job compiling, in this post, examples of, in his words: "history of mismanagement, outright lying, abandoning their own games, not addressing bugs and balance problems, not having important features at release and/or prematurely releasing games that are wholly unfinished, amongst other things."

Unless you do not believe in free markets, let your dollar do the talking. This would be an incredibly powerful market signal that the community no longer will support their historical mismanaged business practices. It would be a clear message that the customer is no longer saying: well, this time it will be different. Maybe than, they will change their appalling practices.

Ultimately, Corporations are merely a reflection of their customers; all of its decisions and actions are based on this; if not, they will go bankrupt. As long as people are willing to pay their salaries, they will continue to mismanage their games and customers.

I do not want Uber to go bankrupt but I do want them to take our skepticism more seriously than they have in the past; the "bottom-line" is the best attention getter.
    tatsujb likes this.
  2. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

comcast seem to be doing alright ;)
  3. elodea

elodea Post Master General

As does Monsanto

lol facepalm.gif
    Geers and tunsel11 like this.
  4. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

This fabled free market of yours requires an equally fabled free will to start with. Thus I have great faith in Uber getting their next kickstarter project funded.
    nawrot likes this.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I disagree on basing your whole critic on a single post from a single person who very apparently is angry.
    So you really think that guy knew exactly how to fix smnc years ago without even being part of the company that makes smnc?
    squishypon3, vyolin and cptconundrum like this.
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Someone make a sub forum for all this **** please :cool:
    squishypon3 and cptconundrum like this.
  7. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

First off there is no such thing as a free market there are only highly regulated ones. Secondly a company cannot support a product if there is no revenue to do such a thing. Uber was apparently going insolvent so they had no choice but to drop support for SMNC. I'll also like to point out that they kept SMNC servers running at a detriment to themselves. I would have given you guys 30 days notice and then sucked down the servers.;) Also red herrings throughout.:eek:
    Last edited: October 6, 2014
  8. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Free market assumes that everybody is logically thinking what is best instead of believing every stupid political or marketing lie. Same mistake as communism did when they assumed everybody is working during work hours instead of stealing.
  9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

This does not belong in the PA forum, it has nothing to do with PA. Can we please not clog up what few productive discussions we had?

@cola_colin @wpmarshall @cwarner7264 @raevn I call the moderators forth!
    elodea and lokiCML like this.
  10. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Amongst other ludicrous assumptions, yes. And ain't nobody got time for that whole thinking business, anyway.
  11. Zblub

Zblub New Member

What is your point?

First you're acting all knowledgeable, with terms like ' free markets', ' dollars talking', 'powerful market signal' and ' historical mismanagment'.

Then you say: "I do not want Uber to go bankrupt"

If you don't see the fallacy in your own post then I suggest you send a powerful market signal to your school because it seems there is some historical mismanagement going on there.
  12. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

There was certainly a lot of conspiracy and self-righteousness in Tib's post that I recognize BUT - I'm gonna have to admit on this one there was a hell of a lot that reminded me of Uber's dealing with PA. Devs telling dedicated players they don't understand the game, they don't understand balance. Total lack of proper tutorials. A vision of 'how the game should be played' that over-rides any and all community feedback. A pattern of increasingly hostile interactions followed by eventual total silence. It was kind of eye-opening for me as I have often wondered why the Uber community seemed somehow amiss; it seems many of the most dedicated players fled in droves as they are doing now.

I think we're done here.
  13. cptusmc

cptusmc Active Member

Bankruptcy will result if a business continues against market signals, it is not a given that bankruptcy would occur. Business's can reverse and still maintain enough market share from the goodwill of its brand to survive. Businesses that go through bankruptcy, depending on the chapter filing, could result in a forced dissolution of the entity. I wouldn't want that, just a change in business practice.

At the end of the day, the way in which you spend your dollar is the most powerful tool you have as a consumer. Ears perch up when operating cash flows are at risk. @nawrot is right, I could talk till I'm blue in the face but at the end of the day, it is the customer that is the ultimate decider. Most certainly not me.
  14. cptusmc

cptusmc Active Member

Same thing happened to Gears of War franchise ... ah, good times ... :p
  15. cptusmc

cptusmc Active Member

Since this has been moved to unrelated discussion, I will delve into this. Even though there are other competitors in the area, customers still choose Comcast. This is because Comcast offers the customer the best price for the quality product the customer demands. If the customer valued better customer support over the product's quality (faster internet connection per price), Comcast would be forced to change its business's model.

So an economist would say that although Comcast does not offer a perfect product, Comcast still offers the customer the best quality product for the best price being charged.

BTW: your post made me smile, non the less ... :)
  16. cptusmc

cptusmc Active Member

Are you suggesting that we do not have free will? That everything is fate? :p

In my opinion, this is not an axiom of Free Markets. Free Markets derive more from the human action axiom which means, people behave purposefully. What makes sense to me, may not make sense to you because value is subjective.
    Taxman66 likes this.
  17. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

Austrian Economics +1

I hope everyone knows that, by definition, a corporation cannot exist in a free market. When I say 'free market', I mean a purely free market without any government intervention.
    cptusmc likes this.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

A free market is a market where the government doesn't intervene. That doesn't happen anywhere as far as I know.
    Taxman66 likes this.
  19. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

People do things purposefully, usually to benefit themselves or to benefit others. I don't think it's that hard to observe.
  20. Geers

Geers Post Master General

WHOOAA! NO WAYZ BRO!
    Taxman66 likes this.