On why SMNC failed and what that means for PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tiblolan, October 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiblolan

tiblolan Active Member

As I've been with Uber since the beginnings of mnc, I have seen how they treat their games once the decide to embark on a new project, and its not pretty. They left MNC and SMNC in shambles and trends indicate that they will do it again to PA. I would be cautious before handing any money to Uber, considering their track record. As I've said before, everyone interested in HR should ask themselves whether they should back a company that has a history of mismanagement, outright lying, abandoning their own games, not addressing bugs and balance problems, not having important features at release and/or prematurely releasing games that are wholly unfinished, amongst other things.

I have made all of this and more available in this post. I hope you take the time to read it through and come to your own conclusions.

I wish the PA community good luck
    Jaedrik, cptusmc, thepilot and 7 others like this.
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

sadly i have to agree to this post
  3. orangerinapay

orangerinapay Active Member

Didn't scathis clearly state that they could not continue the game because they did not get the funds to support it?
    That in itself is a good reason why they stopped (you can't work with no money) and decided to try and crowd fund a new game to gain money and to create and update other games.
    jeffwadsworth and tigerwarrior like this.
  4. burlayz

burlayz Member

But the reason it didn't make any money is because of bad decisions, not listening to the fans and rushing the game out the door
    These were all things that could have been avoided
    brianpurkiss, elkanfirst and ace63 like this.
  5. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

stay salty tib
  6. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Wauv one more thread ..... :/
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

the reason smnc failed is because it's a f2p no body bought into and uber not being riot ...
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

9. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

SMNC was a free to play game. Companies cannot function without revenue. Not enough people spent money on SMNC. That was the reason they stopped supporting it, nothing else.

PA, on the other hand, still has considerable potential for revenue. But yes, if at any point PA stops making them money then they'll probably stop supporting it just like SMNC. It's called business.
  10. jaysaurusrex

jaysaurusrex Member

Also don't forget the part "We will continue to work on SMNC while PA is under construction".

PA users if you still defend this company you are blind, and I hope the worst.
    nawrot likes this.
  11. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

in any case they will need to give PA things like the unit cannon before stop working on that!
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well as the last updated to SMNC was 12 months after the PA announcement they *did* keep working on it....
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

SMNC was already losing money and got 33 content updates after PA was announced. That were weekly for the most part.
  14. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

It's people who just don't understand the realities of game development that really get my goat, and act as if they have a flawless knowledge of the market, pressures, and financial situation.
  15. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

SMNC got dropped after a lack of funding - or more correctly, well past that point. On PA they will hopefully pull the plug well in advance. Could not possibly blame them for that.
    PA missing advertised features, though, is another matter entirely.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

SMNC was directly competing with TF2... which is already well-established and successful.

PA is/was competing with a total lack of RTS titles on the market.

I don't think we have anything to worry about so long as Uber focuses on RTS.
    optimi likes this.
  17. tiblolan

tiblolan Active Member

This is not a fully accurate view of my claim. To clarify, I'm not making that claim in hindsight. We fervently warned them in 2011-2012 when problems were first being detected. If you actually read my post and the evidence, you would've seen that. We told them what they were doing was the wrong way to go and uber failed to act on our warnings. They only have themselves to blame.

As for the "pressure":
  18. cola_colin

That still doesn't mean your suggested changes would've fixed it.
    jeffwadsworth and kvalheim like this.
  19. tiblolan

tiblolan Active Member

Sure, but one would think actually working on a problem would be better than not working on it at all.
  20. cola_colin

And you seriously think Uber went "oh we have this game here, it's in the red since every. Hard even at that. Let's don't care about that!"?
    They were in the best interest of making it work, I don't know the story of smnc, I never played it, but I am sure they worked on the problems it had. Obviously not in the way you would've liked at all, I can see that.
    But that doesn't mean they tried to fix it in some other way. All we can say for sure is that way failed. Your suggestions might have made it better. They might have made it worse. We don't know.
    squishypon3 and DeadStretch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.