Is local server still on the way and when is it likely to be released ?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by doud, October 4, 2014.

1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

OK, so zaphodX told us from Pax Prime 2014 that local server was on the way (01:45) and should come pretty soon.

Since then (it's a month now), we have now news at all about it.
    So basically, when is the server likely to be released ? is it a matter of weeks ? months ?
    Thanks.
    kjotak109, tunsel11 and Planktum like this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Let's hope during the next 4 weeks.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Just on a point of information, what was being used there was essentially a copy of the software that Uber has running on its PlayFab servers. They were getting it to work using a series of batch files and a somewhat complicated set of specific instructions that needed to be carried out in the correct order to get the thing to function.

It said "using local server" because it wasn't connected to PlayFab - at least that's my understanding.

What Uber are hoping to release with offline mode is something that will automatically and seamlessly fire up on your machine when you select a single player skirmish.

Long and short of it is that that video doesn't really show much regarding progress on what Uber hope to release as part of offline. It's just a hack they enabled to get it working at PAX. They had a similar set-up running at PAX East in April this year.

I don't know the status of offline, but like the rest of you I hope it's high on their priority list.
    Planktum and kayonsmit101 like this.
  4. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Well I'm not requesting the offline mode / server for the coming weeks, i'm simply requesting from Uber to provide a rough estimation of when we can expect to get it, like people pledging HR can expect, roughly to get the game by 2016. I simply would like to know for example, if it's reasonable to expect it before christmas or if it's likely to be released by early 2015. I can understand it can take some time, and i will not blame uber if we need to wait a couple of months. Uber is able to provide a rough estimation for a new game delivery. I would expect they can do the same for offline play / server .
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Basically it's just button to toggle between local environment and PlayFab. You can run PA with "--devmode" and you'll see exactly same red text.
  6. paulied77

paulied77 New Member

I agree with "doud". I think it is the least they could do to provide some insight as to the development timeline of features that should have been available from release. A little bit of reaching out to the customer base would go a long way toward smoothing over their failure to deliver on time. They are getting thrashed in reviews on steam, as well as other places, and yet they keep silent. They need a new head of customer relations, or maybe A head of customer relations.
    Nicb1 and Planktum like this.
  7. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Don't be silly, their customer relation problems are not their fault, they are just unlucky to have such a negative customer base (sarcasm). When are they going to see some sense. This new kickstarter is going to fail. The next few days we will see a rapid decline in pledges.
    philoscience likes this.
  8. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Please define "trashed" and bring some reliable facts ...
    upload_2014-10-4_19-32-22.png
  9. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

That's called vocal minority. People enjoying the game are actually playing it, the others are just expressing their rage / disappointment ...
  10. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Steam forums are unreliable. You should know that already.
    Geers, squishypon3 and Fr33Lancer like this.
  11. burlayz

burlayz Member

And the discontent here, on reddit, on the kickstarter pages themselves?
    How do you explain all that away?
    nawrot likes this.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

[​IMG]
  13. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that steam forums in general (for any game) is a pile of craposts.
  14. burlayz

burlayz Member

Because they're unhappy with the game?
  15. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Maybe. But, for example, the last time I went in the PA forums during early access, they were flooded with so much misinformation that I flew right away. I quite had the impression to be in the youtube comment section.
  16. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

Dunno, I went to check it out.

Currently the first 5 reviews on the PA page on Steam are all negative. By default there isn't a positive one in sight. Unless you press "Load More Reviews" twice. Which means, the first 7 reviews are now negative.

The first review (that's negative) brings "1,544 of 1,928 people (80%) found this review helpful".

After not even a month after its release, PA is already offered 50% off on Steam. Its current Metacritic is 61, and the relative box is no longer visible on Steam on the PA page.
    bradaz85 and tunsel11 like this.
  17. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

The 8 first french reviews are positive, with people that played more than 100 hours up to 650 hours. Overhaul, 75% of the reviews are positive. :)
  18. ncostes

ncostes New Member

So actually, no. Go read the Borderlands 2 forums. Right before the Pre Sequel release (coming Oct 14). The forums are not filled with hate. People are asking questions, giving advice, etc.
    Ditto for Divinity: Original Sin. I mention these because I happened to be playing these recently. Now compare what you see there with what you see on the PA forum on Steam.
  19. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

As of yesterday pledge rate has stalled out. So good call.
    Planktum likes this.