Suggestion: Different Nuclear Missile Launcher Missiles

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by steambirds, October 2, 2014.

1. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

well I think that the Hornet missile and if possible a EMP missile would be very cool...
    the balistic one and the antimater one are point-less because nukes ahead do much damage and the hornet would make the same of a the balistic but w/ more AoE
  2. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

Has the interplanetary nuke seperate and more expensive than the regular nuke completly been forgotten?
    Beeing able to dominate your starting planet and then the solar system with the same exact weapon without realy having to build anything else is a bad idea. Also, driveby planet nuke shootouts were ******* cool for the very short time they were possible.

Edit after reading the OP again: What i said has nothing to do with the warheads, its the carrier system, but still my point stands.
  3. steambirds

steambirds Member

The big difference between the hornet and the ballistic missile is that the ballistic missile has a very small blast radius and is very cheap to make. The hornet takes longer to build, but has a wide area of effect, at the expense of less direct damage.
  4. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Anything that increases your need to know what's going on in the solar system is detrimental considering it's fairly hard to know what's going on in the solar system.
  5. steambirds

steambirds Member

Another thing to add: The antimatter nuke is not interplanetary, meaning using it is going to require loads of fortification
  6. kerbalweirdo123

kerbalweirdo123 New Member

:(
    tunsel11, schuesseled192 and igncom1 like this.
  7. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

I would like an orbital nuke, it's pretty straight forward, it would detonate in orbit, and damage everything in range. But everything in the water, air and ground is unharmed. It would be nice to destroy laser platforms with, as well as whatever is near it.
  8. schuesseled192

Doesn't need to be separate from the current nukes.
  9. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

i'll go ahead and say my piece. Yes, i would support multiple missile types. some examples i thought of are:

"Falcon" AA Nuke- small yield, Shockwave-esque missile, ludicrously fast, Air units caught in the blast are KO'd. everything else survives. relative cost - moderate

"Dragon" Napalm Missile - Wide AoE-DoT weapon. ground units caught in the blast continuously take damage, leaving only high hp entities - like vanguards and buildings - relatively unscathed. relative cost - med-high

"Ameoba" Cluster Nuke/ MIRV - upon nearing destination, or upon destruction, releases several smaller missiles at random dispersal towards the destination point. however, these mini-nukes can also be intercepted. meant to overwhelm light anti nuke defenses. relative cost - ludicrous (but perhaps worth it)

"Buzzkill" EMP missile - like the name implies, does not destroy anything, but freezes victims for a short amount of time. radars are disabled, units and turrets wont move or fire, and factories stop working. relatie cost - med-low
  10. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

The current nukes CAN target orbital.

EDIT: Without harming ground below.
  11. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

But can I blind fire in orbit? or do I have to target something?
  12. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Wasn't this actually going to be a thing at one point anyway? I'm sure I read one or two of the devs discus it a while back. Then the release build was rushed out the door.
  13. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Can only blind-fire in orbits of gasgiants, but to be fair you only need an orbital radar to see ALL orbital units, no need for blind-fire.
  14. schuesseled192

Reallt?
  15. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

That was my reaction too, but yes. But when targeting orbital around a planet which is not a gas giant, tha nuke will follow the ground before rising to the orbital layer, looks a bit weird.