A Note To Planetary Annihilation Fans About Human Resources

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, October 2, 2014.

1. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

Just curious. Did you back up HR?
  2. burlayz

burlayz Member

Maybe they should finish this game first, they were paid to do it after all, it's their job, they can't just say IM BORED IM BORED NEW TOY NEW TOY and abandon what they were working on.

If you get all semantics with me regarding 'finish' I'll explode.
    elkanfirst, ace63, bradaz85 and 2 others like this.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I know Sorian is still on Pa, Varrak as well.

Basically what we've been told is this new guy joined the team, he has a blog and does comics and stuff I think. Basically the second day he was there he pitched the idea of Human Resources to Uber, they loved it. I can't remember his name at the moment.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Where are those details written?
  5. squishypon3

I believe it was in one of the reviews, might have been the RPS one, I'll go look for it!
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

http://www.nonplayercomic.com/2014/10/it-has-been-nearly-year-since-i-posted.html
    cola_colin and squishypon3 like this.
  7. squishypon3

@cola_colin Nate Simpson is the one with the comic and the lead art designer for the game, so yeah I believe he's the guy who pitched it to Uber, I swear it was in some thread around here.

Edit: Quitch found it, haha. :p
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So Uber hires a new writer/game designer, has him tell them a nice pitch for a game and they make a KS for it. They have to be really impressed by his stuff I guess.
  9. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

They can't have their whole team staff working on PA, Uber have probably hired some more staff, and too many persons will get in the way of each other.

Quoting myself cos im tired and lazy:
  10. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Working on 2 games at once is perfectly acceptable. The problem lies in that Uber are vocal that their vision of PA is completed, despite that they mention they will continue to support it post release. If they consider PA to have fulfilled the kickstarter promise then it damages the trust backers have for them, and just means less likelihood that the trust of many core fans will reward them with HR pledges. In my mind all they need to do is layout their intended development plan for supporting PA and be forthcoming with planned time frames and realistic expectations and I'm instantly backing HR.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

But they still think it is a fulfillment of the KS campaign and vision.

Jon Mavor said:

source
    cmdandy likes this.
  12. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

This sounds like every design team ever. If it was up to them, things would never be finished. I work in one (not in games) and that is how it goes, there is always room for improvement. That is why you have a client who actually paid for the whole thing and who forces you to finish the damn thing in a timely manner.

In this case the client is either a publisher or the crowdfunding community.. and I don't think the community will be satisfied with an always online solution.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  13. abubaba

Of course PA has both a publisher and the community.. the former probably loves the idea of always online. Maybe they made a deal with the devil (publisher) after all?
  14. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Maybe they did. Maybe they (Uber & Nordic) already have a deal in place for HR too. Maybe, Nordic could fund the development instead!
  15. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

For christs sake, EA has had the same sales pitch for years. Always esspecially in sims, online only for the first little while so they find all the issues to be fixed. do you people not really understand how much rereading these things take. 10% is making the game the rest is fine tuning it. and it takes time due to the lack of testers so they take in the public, yes it should be better stated then this collective knowledge of just knowing how things work. And everything comes at its own price, and its never cheap. We helped fund this and still are getting funded by new comers but when people believe today that once a game is out its done finished and polished. but ever since the dawn of gaming nothing is ever done.
  16. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

Uber is still on its own in the publish state. nordic deals with the physical distribution
    @abubaba
    @bradaz85
  17. Galebourn

Galebourn New Member

So... if Uber has enough resources left to work on another game, there sure are some people left to work on SMNC again, right? Right?
    *cries himself to sleep again*
  18. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Funny how people are still desperately optimistic.
    In PA Alpha they said "but it will be better in Beta!" -> in the beta they said "Hey this is just beta, it will be awesome at release", same for gamma, and at release people still claim "Oh it is just released, not finished, we will get all the good stuff later".
    And now, that it is very clear that PA is about to be abandoned people are still like "ooooh that new game is gonna draw funds for PA so development will continue".
    Guess what: It will not. No developer will spend money on a game that is not making any more profits. The fact that they already halved the PA team when there is a crapload of promised stuff missing speaks for itself: They have run out of funds and gonna let it die.

I would have gladly backed HR when they had delivered on PA like they promised, but they straight up lied to all backers and fans and now hope that no one will remember? And the worst thing is that they boldly claim that PA is the game they promised to their backers.
    I am not willing to spend any money on HR for this sole reason - I like the concept and art style, but I have the feeling that it will be a huge disappointment when it eventually releases.
    drada, bradaz85 and cmdandy like this.
  19. abubaba

I agree. And I'm even not that angry about PA, I think it turned out pretty OK all things considered. BUT this whole HR announcement with its always-online-BS makes it look like they are not planning to make PA playable offline either. That was the redeeming factor for me, because I accepted long ago that PA was not taking off in a big way and the only way it would remain relevant was through the modding community.
  20. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

I'm hopeing more and more Chris Taylor can make the next big RTS game worthy of being called a successor of TA and SupCom. I waiting for the announcement of TA 2 from Wargaming.