A Note To Planetary Annihilation Fans About Human Resources

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, October 2, 2014.

1. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

Unfortunately throwing all developers onto features doesn't make them better or mean they will be finished faster. That's not how software development works. A programmer for example might check out some code so no one else can make changes to it while they work on it. PA has less features to be implement and therfore less code to touch or build meaning having less people working on it will achieve a better result and potentially less bugs. It's just how it works mate.

Cheers

-Todd
  2. kurthunk

kurthunk New Member

People don't lock files in modern software development projects unless they want to piss everyone off. Multiple people can work on the same files at the same time and merge their changes in together. This is only challenging if the two people modify exactly the same lines, and even then you can figure out what to keep.

You logic of fewer developers means fewer bugs makes no sense. It is about the quantity of change being introduced into the system.
    Terrasque likes this.
  3. tranilator

tranilator New Member

Uber, you lost my trust and therefore my support. And I'm not alone as there are many others on Steam, GAF, Whirlpool and of course here on these boards that share the same sentiments.

Best of luck to you guys, you're going to need it.
    bradaz85 and cmdandy like this.
  4. peewee1000

peewee1000 Member

Give PA server software and I will back this.
  5. tranilator

tranilator New Member

Human Resources is unlikely to have offline support ... Uber have said that they will 'evaluate' implementing this feature when the time is right.
  6. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Weighed in, in the other thread. TL/DR: We need something of a roadmap as to what's being and going to be worked on, and possibly team updates every so often. Even in this thread I notice a distict lack of uber employee tags. Surely neutrino would wanna put in a couple of cents?

lapsedpacifist likes this.
  7. j4cko

j4cko Member

The more time goes on the more logical is we won't be getting offline servers that fast. It's working as a DRM now just like Starcraft 2. Problem is there is no demo and servers still lag late game. If that is fixed i would back HR.
  8. dfeghali

dfeghali New Member

Everyone know that PA is not a finished product yet, and everyone know that it needs offline mod, drm free version, Lan, dedicated servers, asteroid belts, modding support, unit cannon, and many more things that need to be done with PA, it feels its so incomplete!

Still i do believe in Uber that they will make it happen and give us the real PA game that everyone is asking for.. please do not add micro-transaction into the game like what you are doing with the Commanders.
    Its so damn retarded!

Well anyway i will be supporting Uber as much as i can and see what its gonna happen with PA and their new Project (Human Resources) its an awesome idea of what they want to do, the trailer is not in game but looks awesome. so i am putting in my money and see what will happen.

Good luck Uber and do not let us down with PA, many still beleive in you that you can give us what you promised and even more with PA.
  9. kongkillha

kongkillha Member

Paid 90usd for PA and haven't had much fun with it since Alpha...
    bradaz85 likes this.
  10. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I paid a fair whack already for PA, and I don't believe I got what I paid for just yet, I won't be backing HR blindly this time, I'll wait for the inevitable half baked release and grab it for next to nothing.
    cmdandy likes this.
  11. ultramarine777

ultramarine777 Member

Oh stop being a fanboy. Many people are rightfully entitled because many people paid huge bucks for this game and the kickstarter and are not getting their money's worth.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Crusader Vs Jihad arguments are just plain old stupid as hell and make you all look like utter fools.

This isn't a holy cause, this is peoples opinions on a video game, and you just happen to disagree.
    kayonsmit101 and MrTBSC like this.
  13. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

Who else here waits to see what totalbiscuit have to say about this?
    elkanfirst likes this.
  14. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I doubt he will as in a previous video he said that covering kickstarters is very difficult because of the huge number of them.
    I doubt he will be particularly interested though regardless.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

How many 1.4M Kickstarters are there currently?
  16. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

I don't mean that he would cover HR, I'm talking about the whole PR fiasco with PA.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  17. InstantMix

InstantMix Member

Dear "Todd",

I'd like to inform you that I myself actually have experience programming and have a working knowledge of how "people do stuff". What you are saying is, in itself, pretty backwards. Putting less people on a team will not necessarily make a better result ( nor a worse result for that matter, but it is still an invalid argument). I have no issues with the company working on multiple projects, I have issues with the company "releasing" ( in words only) a half-finished product, with little to no sign on extra features or fixing some issues with said game ( like the GOD-AWFUL PATHFINDING) , to thenopening a Kickstarter for a new, similar game for which the developers appear to giving their full attention ( for which they have the funds to develop, might I add). That's not giving people a fantastic viewpoint of the company when they have dropped the further development of previous products before (MNC, SMNC) and are now appearing to continue that trend with PA. That's not good for PR - that's just how it works mate.

Cheers

-Instant
  18. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

1. Everyone with an UberEnt account got the email about HR.

2. What would you say if I also told you there was S/MNC music in the HR pitch video? How about there being S/MNC music in early PA trailers? How about early versions of PA had sound effects directly from S/MNC? Toy Rush music? Yeah that's been in vids. other than Toy Rush content.

3. They are targeting their current community and playerbase. You get free SMNC in game money with some pledges on HR's Kickstarter.
  19. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Some of the core devs on PA maybe be getting burned out on PA or have done/added all they could to the project. Is it really that big of a deal if some of them want to move on to something new?
  20. drada

drada New Member

This is ill-time and in bad taste, I feel. Planetary Annihilation has yet to be finished, and allocating resources to another project sounds bad, for any hope of PA's completion. I wouldn't back another project while the current project - Planetary Annihilation - seems to be in the process of abandonment; and, I think the mentality that games are never "finished" and are actually services is the wrong way to think about it. Unless your game is an MMO then I don't view it as a service, and otherwise I fully expect your game to be in a completed state before work is started on new one. It should be all hands on deck as far as I'm concerned.
    ace63, bradaz85, brianpurkiss and 3 others like this.