A Note To Planetary Annihilation Fans About Human Resources

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, October 2, 2014.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Kickstarter backing is not an investment. You contribute money, and get the rewards stated for your backer level. Unless a reward is "and you get a % of future profits", there is no profit sharing implied or expected.
    Remy561, Gorbles, squishypon3 and 4 others like this.
  2. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Anybody knowledgeable enough to know what SMNC's change log was like after Aug 15 2012?
    elkanfirst and nawrot like this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

so basicly this thread turned into another one of people telling uber how to manage their business ...
    how many of you guys have your own company to manage and experience to do so?
    i personaly dont care much bout human resources but if it works for uber more power them...
    is PA were i want it to? no ...
    was it imo a mistake to release PA without offline? yes ... but that's just my opinion ...
    does it matter them making a new game while working on another? if the first one gets the most important features in we want/need then it does't matter at all to us but to them ... or do you think they can keep paying their employes with just one game? ... good luck with that ..
    you have every right to be concerned and to not invest into a product but stop telling people how to manage a company for when you both have no idea nor expirience how businessmanagement works ...

the sadest thing about this whole thing is that appearantly people still do not realise to what they backed or buyed early into with its risks, posibilities and consequenses ... after 2! YEARS ...
    Last edited: October 3, 2014
  4. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

One could argue that since the project has a chance of failure and the backers could lose their investment of funds that in fact it is an investment. The rewards for this case are simply not monetary. (with the exception of the higher tiers that are now making money, i.e. a return on their investment through commander sales.)

You could call the backers fundraisers. Although that has connotations with a good cause being the end result more often than not.

Or victims some would argue even that Uber has cheated them, perhaps baseless.

We are treading new territory that doesn't easily drop into current wordsmithery so stop nitpicking, investors is a suitable description albeit not perfectly accurate.
  5. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Stop bullshitting around. Crowd funding is not investing. There is no aspect of it that resembles investing other than the exchange of money. This is a useless tanget to this thread.
    pieman2906, Fr33Lancer and Quitch like this.
  6. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I am having a slight case of De Ja Vu.... Best of luck to Uber, they're gunna need it!
    nawrot and cptconundrum like this.
  7. schuesseled192

Perhaps you should think a little more before opening your mouth, funding and investment go hand in hand. People don't fund something without an interest in it or expecting something in return.

In this case a game, that they couldn't have financed on their own. By contributing their investment they took a chance to transform their 30 bucks into a multi-million dollar game that they could then sit down and play. Without the kickstarter campaign this game wouldn't exist, without their investment coming good the backers wouldn't have a multi-million dollar toy to play with. (Sure they can't cash in on that investment, small potatoes)

I agree an entirely pointless train of argument so stop adding tracks to it.
    Last edited: October 3, 2014
  8. philoscience

That is completely idiotic. Investment is a particular contract that guarantees a share of profits returned and a certain controlling stake. Crowd funding doesn't include any of that whatsoever - therefor it is not investing. Is this really that difficult to understand? The moment a crowd funding effort includes shareholder rights and profit return it won't be crowd funding anymore, it'll be crowd investing. Stop playing stupid word games and stay on topic.
  9. DeadStretch

Does this mean PA devs are moving on to Human Resources and a new team will cover PA? That's what I really want to know...

Though I should finish reading the thread first
  10. schuesseled192

You are stating two different types of financial investment and their multiples types of investment on top of the financial ones.
  11. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

from the look of things, no. It's a new team that will work on the new game, at least that's how I have come to understand it.
  12. philoscience

I know you are being deliberately thick but:
    investment
    ɪnˈvɛstm(ə)nt/
    noun
    1. 1.
      the action or process of investing money for profit.
    There is no profit in crowd funding. You donate your money in exchange for a potential product with no guarantee of the quality or form of that final product. There. Is. No. Profit. Crowd funding is by definition not investment. Your wishful thinking and poor grasp of language won't change that.
  13. schuesseled192

And that's not a donation. You accuse me of being deliberately thick, what's your excuse?

Furthermore:

in·vest·ment ([​IMG]n-v[​IMG]st[​IMG]m[​IMG]nt)
    n.
    1. The act of investing.
    2. An amount invested.
    Property or another possession acquired for future financial return or benefit.
    4. A commitment, as of time or support.
    A military siege.
    6. Archaic
    a. A garment; a vestment.
    b. An outer covering or layer

That's 3 matches to me and 1 to you. Round 2?

Investment (along with the financial terminology you have firmly routed in your head) can also apply to putting time or energy into something, in this case we are funding uber's energy and time into making the game, making us investors in their work by our support.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  14. DeadStretch

https://forums.uberent.com/forums/super-mnc-updates.44/ ;)

Well from the video it looked like all the main dudes from PA. I was thinking maybe the new team is who continues work on PA? It also kinda felt like this was Scathis' project.
  15. philoscience

Wow you really are deliberately stupid. Who is quibbling semantics now? You know full well we're talking about financial investment, I.e. the act of giving someone money in return for a profit. What is your point exactly? That you gave Uber money and that makes it an investment? Sure, just like if you give a guy money for a share of the eiffle tower, you've made an 'investment' in him scamming you. The discussion was about the difference between crowd funding (where there is no profit) and investing (where there is). Let me guess your next brilliant reply, where you claim PA is the profit. Just grow up.

Even better, the first lone of your own definition is "the act of investing". Which is what exactly again? Its the act of giving money for a contractual obligation to profits. Thick.
  16. schuesseled192

Pretty sure I would be just repeating myself.

If you don't have anything relevant to contribute then get lost. No trolls allowed.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  17. philoscience

You like to throw down these statements as if they matter. Im not going anywhere. Your the one trolling with this pointless semantic quibble. Oh hey, maybe crowd funding means we all get vests too, since the archaic definition of investment means to wear vests. I'm guessing your about 16 and don't know how to back down from a stupid and obviously incorrect position. Go ahead and repeat yourself some more, your doing a great job showing off how thick you can be.
  18. schuesseled192

As I made the original post, i'm not the quibbler. You are picking holes in my original point because of choice of wording, quibbling. You are being very immature, shut up and go away.
    Last edited by a moderator: October 3, 2014
    bradaz85 likes this.
  19. philoscience

Thanks for giving me a laugh while I wait for my flight. Now you are quibbling about quibbling! Priceless.
  20. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni