Thoughts from my first skirmish since alpha

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tbthegr81, October 2, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I personally think PA has the 'feel' (much more so than SupCom did to me- not that I dislike SupCom for that matter, just rather a different game imo). Uber have kept the unit set pretty minimalist though
    I just don't think anything the OP said was *that* outrageous? Also note his response to my suggestion of trying out some mods, doesn't strike me as someone trying to cause problems for the sake of it.

Since when did we (as in the forum community) get quite so aggressive to relatively new users?
    Last edited by a moderator: October 2, 2014
    MrTBSC and squishypon3 like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The irony?
  3. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I think the new guy didn't know the word shields is forbidden here wich might have triggered the whole thing.
    tatsujb and mered4 like this.
  4. tbthegr81

tbthegr81 New Member

Well... I'm kinda assuming the core mechanics of this RTS is already in-place since it's been released.
    Core mechanics is the engine and the basic input/outputs of the game.

Like, Player can build Unit
    Unit can attack other unit
    Different units can build different things
    And so fourth.
    The extended mechanics is "A unit that does this specific thing" or "Maps that behave in this specific way" and I hope PA is in the second stage...

To be fair, a cannon that shoot's units a long distance thrue the air and or space should be classified as an experimental transportation system!
    And thats part of my point about experimentals, they can be buildings too. Like the good ol' Experimental Fusion Power Plant. It gives you a helluwalot of energy... But if it blows it takes everything around it with it. It's a gamble to use and you better protect it.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'd argue that the Halley engines and the catalyst structures count as 'experimental' units in that sense. Really OP game enders :p
    squishypon3 and MrTBSC like this.
  6. tbthegr81

tbthegr81 New Member

And why is that anyways.
    I know the shields is a thing that can be missused/overpowered... Like in Supcom where you can make a Lv5 Shield that covers your whole base... But for the shield to work you cant let any units thru witch is way harder when the enemy can go around the planet.

Also, I always thought shields in SupCom was pretty BS since they stopped all kinds of weapons, I always liked the Balanced Annihilation shield more that only stops plasma...

Yeah that's certainly true...
    bradaz85 and cdrkf like this.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Afaik, Halley's aren't OP. In fact, I'd claim they are underpowered. But I digress. :D
    Last edited by a moderator: October 2, 2014
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. tbthegr81

tbthegr81 New Member

Look, I didnt mean to upset anyone and no, I havent read any threads in the forum since Alpha...
    Im just a long-time TA player who got overjoyed when people who have produced some of my favorite RTS posted a Kickstarter where they wanted to make a new TA, take it up a notch and make everything bigger and more awesome.

I wanted to write something about the game I helped kickstart and what I think of the current build.
    I had no idea that people have already posted lots of mods that adds lots of the things I miss from vanilla PA, I know they need more time before the game is on par with the old games.

But I find it a little annoying when people hate on TA and PA comparisons since I feel the whole point of PA is to make a new TA, even though EA owns the name and trademark. But not just a HD remake but taking TA to the next level! If others see this as a new game that have nothing to do with TA... Well, thats what you think then. I have nothing against such thoughts but please respect mine.
    bradaz85 and cdrkf like this.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yea the thing however is it is not a new TA ... sure it uses aspecs and features from both TA and Supcom but it is ultimately its own spin ..
    and the licence of TA is aquired by wargames not EA ... thank god for that ...

the thing with comparissons is people often do it in a 1 one 1 way and more often than not people dont think their comparisons through ..
  10. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Come on, people. Lets try to welcome people to this forum, instead of biting their heads off, yeah? This is disappointing :(

@tbthegr81, welcome once again to these forums, we are glad to see you back! PA has much inspiration from TA, but understand that it is it's own game in the end, so not everything will carry over (and TA never had death stars or planet smashing ;)). What you see in the game is not all there will be, either - Uber have every intention of continuing to develop and build out this game. I hope you stick around and find out :)

Edit: Cleaned up this thread. A lot.
    Last edited: October 2, 2014
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Can we go a bit easier on new forum users in future please? Some completely unnecessary unpleasantness in this thread.

EDIT: Dammit, Raevn.
    bradaz85, squishypon3, Raevn and 2 others like this.
  12. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

Shields, and stealth is already shot down ( I would have liked it too )
    D-guns are in the game so are anti nukes. ()

Some things you mentioned have been in the game but are removed again later on (bot AA, T2 fighter planes)

And then you mention some things that have no real use to be in the game (Geothermical plants and wind generators)
    Ok Geo plants could be a nice bonus early game, and who used wind power in TA?
    Also why have 3 simular units in a game?
    Why have mobile radar if we can have orbital radar? There is no need for it.

Unit count PA has more units then TA to play with.

Naval has been fun at times in the past but uber made its movement slow and people don't create much water on planets anymore ...
  13. tbthegr81

tbthegr81 New Member

Yeah, my first game I never went into orbit so I didnt see the orbital radar.

I downloaded the Statera mod cdrkf told me about and it rly made things better. Not perfect, but better!

Also, when I talked about anti-missile countermeasures I was referring to something that can counter small unit-fired missiles by either disabling their aiming-computer or maybe via flares. There is a type of this system in Balanced Annihilation.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

We're thinking of a megabot being in Statera when it's possible. ;)

It won't be horribly OP though, probably use energy to run and be horribly expensive. :p
  15. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

The sniper bots can shoot down tactical missiles fired from catapults, T2 bombers and bluehawks, but not shells from the sheller, pelter or holkins, since these are dumb-fire shells made out of only metal, good luck shooting those down.
  16. tbthegr81

tbthegr81 New Member

Thats not something I whould have guessed :S
  17. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Not me either, figured it out by looking at wikis.
  18. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I never seen a tread edited this hard till now but im glad for it.

Well you missed the nose of the salmon by a bit then, a day or 2 ago in another topic. Also here you quoted me, but i wasn't bitching, it was just a poor(?) attempt to stop Geers jokingly making tbthegr81 look like a fool. Im not sure how i did on that and your post made me question me.
  19. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

No, for me the Core is the entirety of the inner workings of the game. From the engine itself, over pathfinding and targeting algorithms and unit behaviors in general, different order types, control mechanisms and UI features.
    Units on the other and are merely the outer shell, that relies on the carrying structure of the inner workings. The unit layer is rather flexible and pretty much independent of the inner workings. You can tweak it all you like, but in the end it's only stats, it's not the core. There are grey areas like the teleporter and such.
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Good work on the massive editing, holy bajeezus

Poor @cwarner7264, @raevn makes a good ninja huh?