I'd love to see a "Friday Devblog" for PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zainny, September 25, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The only issue were the console players, xbox, as Microsoft had a whole month or something to review an update for any game before it's pushed or something like that.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The main issue I've seen is people expecting the game to be quickly dropped in favor of another game.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's a behavior I'd expect from a publisher for whom a game is little more than a certain % win of the money invested. PA has no such publisher and I think the guys and gals at Uber are personally invested into wanting PA to be a great game, they'll have a heavy lean towards not dropping the game at the first sign of trouble.
  4. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

We will continue updating Planetary Annihilation.
  5. cola_colin

I don't expect anything less from you :)
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Always good to hear (although no doubts on that personally). Also why are people against Uber starting a new project? They have a decent team now, getting some of the guys and gals over onto something new needn't have any negative implications for a current game once they've finished adding in major features :) I personally would love to hear what they're cooking up for the future!
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm just passing on what I see a lot of people saying.
  8. cola_colin

Because the more people work on PA the better for the game I so love :p
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Oh I fully agree, the more they can do with PA the better :) Still there is going to become a point where all the bigger things are in, and at that stage certain team members will likely be free to look at something else... This of course could be a long way off (i.e. "Not Soon" :p)....
  10. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Not selling?

http://tools.garry.tv/steamchart/?show=261640,4000,620,233250

This chart graphs the place on the topsellers list, you can see portal 2's sales increasing from the steam music sale. Its not the best graph in the world and it is slow, but you can see the sales proportionally to other games ;)

Source: https://twitter.com/garrynewman/status/298717416995840002
    Last edited: September 26, 2014
  11. cola_colin

What has my post to do with the portal 2 steam music sale (whatever that is)?

EDIT:
    6 spikes into the upper region of steam sales ranks in the last 6 month
    http://tools.garry.tv/steamchart/?show=233250&range=180

nice tool

That guy behind PA's PR seems to be doing a good job :)
    Last edited: September 26, 2014
    thetrophysystem and cptconundrum like this.
  12. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

That was to show how and that the tool works. That sale made the portal 2 sales skyrocket so you see its graph of portal 2 skyrocketing too ;)
  13. cola_colin

14. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Do miss the livestreams, I thaught they were pretty cool. Are more planned or is that finished now?
  15. cptusmc

cptusmc Active Member

Updating what is the question. Are we going to get updates focusing on the topics that have been constantly popping up by the many people who have come and gone throughout the development process? You know: saved games, offline play, a tutorial, mini-maps, duel screen support, and more gameplay options (Unit Cannon, Multiunit Orbital Transport, Naval). Or is Uber going to continue to ignore its customers and give useless updates like: tree swaying action, polished dirt, cup holders on tanks, or our latest update - Steam trading cards, badges, and achievements?

Waiting on that Unit Cannon ... since Alpha ... it's the principle of the damn thing! :mad:
  16. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Uber ignore it's customers. How are they ignoring their customers when they have answered pretty much all the questions already? Useless updates? Are we reading the same patch notes?
  17. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Actually, you've succinctly given a fantastic reason and example for Uber not to be as transparent with their development process going into the future.

In the early Alpha, they talked openly about their plans and goals with regards the unit cannon. They were excited about it, they shared that excitement, we got excited about it. So excited that they haven't been able to shake the constant clamour for it despite having announced several times that it's much more technically difficult to implement than they'd first anticipated and has had to be shifted back in favour of other priorities.

I'm waiting on most of those features at least as much as you are. But constantly changing the topic of every single thread on the forums into a "where are my features" thread isn't helping anyone. Releasing too much information has bitten Uber on the arse before, as the forums over the past few weeks have demonstrated. They have said they are working on it and will release information when they are comfortable in doing so.

==

For the record, I'd personally love for Uber to adopt a suggestion similar to that in the OP. However, I fully understand and support their decision to be more controlled in their communications approach going forward.
  18. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

Let's say I wrote words on the internet about PA. What would you want to hear? You guys know the types of things I talk about. And the things I have written already. I'm not sure what I would write about next.
    Remy561 and squishypon3 like this.
  19. cola_colin

More tech stuff, whatever you know best.
  20. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Needs more evangelising of Sublime Text. The world needs to know! :D

I'd read anything, really. Knowledge is power, as they say.