Alright Uber, What're Ya Doin'

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, September 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That's not the problem, Uber can make use of the same methods as Uber, the problem is PA isn't really setup for it right now. No quote myself;

At this point, one could potentially say that Uber is trying to mimic Valve without having a proper understanding of why it worked for them. It's kinda the same thing as when people develop "WoW-Killers" by mindlessly copying the "WoW Formula" but then made changes to without understanding how the formula worked and just made a mess of the entire thing.

Think about it, TF2 was a complete game at release, the same can't be said about PA in it's current state where it's missing servers, saving, has useless Naval and first passes on the Annihilaser and Gas Giant biome.

Mike
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

so you suggest instead to... ?
    reptarking and squishypon3 like this.
  3. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Perhaps they manage to bring Chris Taylor on board to help make PA more awesome?
  4. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Why? So he can bankrupt Uber too?
    nawrot likes this.
  5. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Say what ya want about the financial happenings that happened at gas powered games, but when it comes to the actual games, his influence is second to none when it comes to building an RTS. Supreme Commander series is without a shadow of a doubt one the greatest RTS of all time, and yes he may not have done it alone, but his vision and feature sets full of idea's are about the best in the business when it comes to this stuff. I'd like to have him on board in a gameplay/vision capacity, not the business side of things and lets face it, I highly doubt it was him who bankrupted GPG, it was probably more along the lines of a conflict between investors/developers/publishers. When a company goes bankrupt, its never the fault of just one man but series of events. Uber don't need another owner their perfectly fine on their own, but to have someone of his capacity in vision, ideas and gameplay direction, well, that would just benefit all of us, wouldn't it?
    bradaz85 likes this.
  6. KNight

As in what Uber should do now or what they should have done much earlier in the Development of PA? Either way it's not really a simple answer.

Mike
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Whilst I'm certain Christ Taylor is a great guy to have on a team (Mavor certainly respects him), I don't think that Uber can be considered 'lacking' in terms of creative vision. The problems with PA are more budgetary / time related (and are quite efficiently being sorted out imo). I'm not sure involving Chris Taylor would have improved PA given the limitations Uber have had to work under. He *might* have had the reputation to tempt a publisher, still I don't think that would have been a good thing overall- the larger budget would have come at the cost of a significant amount of creative freedom so PA could be a very different game under those circumstances (and not necessarily one we'd like... "our surveys show that most players don't like spherical maps, sorry PA has to be flat maps I'm afraid" etc).

Uber have had the freedom (and the guts) to do something pretty radical, so IMO they *have* the right team already :)
    cwarner7264 and Quitch like this.
  8. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Bitch, and provide no alternative.
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think the principal of letting things settle, then generating a buzz in the run up to a major update is a good one. Where it's less helpful is in relation to things that are late / missing. I think in the case of the latter it would be a good idea to be actively saying "yes were working on this, we've tried X this week, moving along nicely" to keep the nay says at bay. They have done this a bit, but perhaps a little more regular updates on these features would be a good idea.
  10. jeffwadsworth

jeffwadsworth Member

Just got an email for confirming the shirt, system name, etc. That could be the big thing, etc.
  11. Geers

Geers Post Master General

If it is then I'll be genuinely disappointed.
    ace63 likes this.
  12. KNight

In case anyone else missed it, but a KickStarter update went out a couple of hours ago as well.

Mike
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The usual feeling after any hype. You have to come down at some point.

EDIT:
    I think I read that ks update text before somewhere. Weird. Doesn't look completely new to me.
    ... right those are the latest patch notes or rather the initial text. Nothing that should excite anyone I think.
    reptarking and squishypon3 like this.
  14. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

The thing is, if you keep building a hype and fail to deliver on the expectations you create, people will eventually stop caring. Even if it's a great announcement for an entirely different project.
  15. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

Because I am a smartass with no friends I need to correct this.

Uber is a multimillion dollar company.
    Valve is a multibillion dollar company.
    cptconundrum and cola_colin like this.
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm not even mad. That made me laugh.
  17. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Oh boy the comments on that kickstarter update.
    Well they had that coming...
    reptarking likes this.
  18. KNight

Yup, sounds like Deja-vu to me! ;p

Worst case is a follow up saying that there are more surprises in store and now not only are you toying with the people who were let down(setting them up for further disappointment for the same reasons as the first time) but now, you're taking the people that were happy about the prior reveals and setting them up to be potential disappointed.

Hype just never pans out in the long run IMO.

Mike
    Last edited: September 30, 2014
    brianpurkiss, ace63 and FSN1977 like this.
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

That's literally something we already knew, so I doubt that's the big thing. Especially since all signs currently point to it being non-pa related.
  20. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Funny how I cant even try to get the steam achievements until the offline capabilities are released. lolz
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.