Sun orbiting objects should cast shadows on orbiting objects

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BooberSmack, September 28, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Brown dwarves, yes but even the oldest white dwarves are a few thousand degrees (kelvin).

Some neutron stars end up as pulsars and those are basically interstellar lighthouses.

1/3 very poor. See me after class.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

White dwarves are still dark compared to average stars, no? And yes they may end up as pulsars, but what about when they're /not/? (Imagine a pulsar going off mid game, teehee.)
  3. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

For a similar experience, play on an AMD card and wait for daytime.
  4. Geers

For reference I found an article about the discovery of a 12-billion year old white dwarf with an estimated temperature of ~3750 degrees. But it doesn't say what scale they're using. But if they're doing their job right they're using kelvin.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

1/10,000 times the sun's light sounds dark :>

Edit: basically not wrong, just not complete. :p
  6. Geers

3.83*10^22 watts.

3.38*10^25 was the peak power output of the most powerful nuclear device ever detonated.

Now considering it's several million kilometres away... yeah pretty dark.
    komandorcliff likes this.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

technically there could be a "blind" game mode with just icons where you rely on radar and scouting.

who says robots need to rely so heavily on the first sense or at all?

radar is so much more informative.
  8. Geers

Er... It's essentially the same thing:

[​IMG]

SCIENCE SON!
    komandorcliff and Remy561 like this.
  9. tatsujb

:p 'xept one possibly gives you 3D info about it (going as far as a full 3D model of the object you're detecting and you could also potentially be detecting something beyond your line of sight over the horizon) and the other only 2D

Science son! :p
    Geers likes this.
  10. Geers

Touché.
    Remy561 and BooberSmack like this.
  11. tatsujb

12. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

its just strange for the lighting to not be shared if planet smashes are projected on near by planets... i use blender and there is a lamp which emits a full sphere of light all round and would think this to be a genuine lighting effect, and heard that alotta new next gen games use the same lighting to lower texture memory. just read something like that but no real deep thread on those, but i have noticed spot lighting uses more mem then lamp lighting...
  13. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Concerning planets shadowing planets; there was a long running bug that got fixed just before the launch version which caused the lighting environments from separate planets to effect eachother. Each planet has a large cube that surrounds it that handles all the lighting for that planet (including light-like effects like fog of war and range indicators). When two planets got close enough those cubes could overlap over the other planet and you could see the planets shadowing eachother. However the areas that weren't shadowed we're now double lit and double fogged.

The reason we don't do a sphere light for everything is shadow resolution. Most of space is empty, thus a spherical shadow mapping would be mostly wasted space.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This explain everything.
    Anyway how does effects of planet explosion after Catalyst hit work then? :rolleyes:
    Remy561 likes this.
  15. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

There are some faked volume lighting effects in the planet death explosion that are just particles with depth aware shaders. These don't care about lighting environments, so they can spill over onto other planets.
  16. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Word.
    optimi and squishypon3 like this.
  17. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

I can remember a couple of absolutely epic screenshots that would've only been possible with this. I can't find any of them atm, but I can remember there being a shot somewhere of the lighting from explosions on one planet being visible on another (or maybe it was from generators, I can't remember it clearly). Looked absolutely crazy good and really helped cement to me that the map was an entire system, and not just a collection of planetoids.

Epic bug, we shall mourn thee.
  18. Geers

[​IMG]

Pretty.
    corteks and squishypon3 like this.
  19. aevs

aevs Post Master General

For the record, current estimated age of the universe is <14 billion years. So geers, "trillions of year's is a little inaccurate.

Edit: nevermind, misread that as Brown dwarf.
  20. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

@bgolus
    Somewhat related, but there's still z/ordering issues with planets, their glow, and the sun:
    upload_2014-9-30_23-15-45.png

The red pen shows where the glow disappears behind the sun, even though the planets are in front. The glow correctly appears in front of other planets (blue pen, bit hard to see but it's there).