Scrambled Lobby Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Support!' started by masonmatter, September 29, 2014.

1. masonmatter

masonmatter New Member

So I PA a long time ago after winning it at one of the tournaments at PAX East. I love the game and played it a ton and then stopped for a while. I just now recently came back to find that the game is unplayable. Anytime I try to join a lobby, regardless of whether it's a Singleplayer or Multiplayer lobby, it becomes all scrambled and I can't click anything. I've included a picture to show what it looks like, not pretty I know. Once in I can't even leave the buttons don't work, I have to alt+tab out and close the game manually. I originally thought this was a problem with the amount of ram I have (4gb, full comp specs are posted at the bottom), but am not sure since I can't actually get into a game. I verified the integrity of the cache, tried again, nothing. Deleted all my mods, nothing. Re-downloaded the game twice, nope. I really have no idea what to do and I'm not sure if this is a bug or just my computer acting up. If anyone has any idea what is causing this please let me know I really would appreciate the help, I love this game and want to start playing it again ASAP.

Computer Specs:

Processor- Intel i7 870 2.93ghz quad core.

Graphics Card- EVGA GeForce GTS 450 superclocked.

Motherboard- EVGA P55 SLI Socket LGA1156, SLI+PhysX, Crossfire

Ram- Corsair dual channel 4GB P10600 DDR3 1333mhz

Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda 1TB sata 3G

Power supply- OCZ ModXStream Pro 600 watt

Attached Files:

Last edited: September 29, 2014
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Looks a lot like you have some old mod breaking it. Do you think you can figure out how to open the UI debugger and check the errors it prints for the lobby scene? The coherent debugger is in the game folder somewhere. If not somebody needs to write a little more text on how to do it ;)
  3. masonmatter

masonmatter New Member

I can get to the debugger but I'm not 100% sure how to use it. Is this it?

Attached Files:

4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

bulls-eye, you have some mods active. (The failing one maybe is some sort of extended system preview?) Check pamm and disable them.

EDIT:
    Btw the mods are in
    "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\mods"
    So they stay even if you install the game. The right way to get rid of them is to use pamm and just disable/update them. Or use the nomods flag, I think pamm can start pa with that as well. So yeah deinstalling pamm doesn't get rid of mods, it just gets rid of the easy way to control them ;)
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

If you have Lobby Rankings by Captain Conundrum installed, it's the culprit.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Also, I love titles that always end in "of death"...

Like the death punch of death. Or the pelvic thrust of death. Or the turn your back and count to three of death.