Getting allies to spawn near each other?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by warpobscura, September 28, 2014.

1. warpobscura

warpobscura New Member

Is there any way or plan for allied Commanders to spawn near to each other, on the same planet in a multi-planet system? I hope I'm not the only one who finds it incredibly annoying when I start a team game and find myself the only player on my team on a planet, with multiple enemy players on the same planet.

I know other RTSes have such an option to let members of the same team start near to each other, so I'm a bit sad that PA doesn't have this low-hanging fruit.
  2. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

I suppose you are not playing share army? Well, you should be able to spawn on the same planet as everyone else, you can choose yourself. If you want to choose the same planet as your team, use teamchat (shift+enter) to tell the planet, and if you are playing on a very large planet you can ping to show where you will be spawning.
  3. warpobscura

warpobscura New Member

What about if I'm playing single player and thus only have AI?
  4. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Then i do not know, AI is pretty bad at communicating. Guess you have to take the hit if you play with AI, although it would be good if there was a option to choose where your ally AI spawns, or to see what they choose. Would be good actually if the game shows where every player spawns, both AI and real.

Edit: allies then of of course.
  5. mrcurry

mrcurry New Member

First, welcome to the forums!

It would be good to show where your team has elected to start during landing selection. Just like the landing spots show up so could the selected spawns of teammates, with appropriate colour and name.

That allows people (and AI) to coordinate better while not forcing their hand.
    Last edited: September 28, 2014
  6. warpobscura

warpobscura New Member

What a pain...

I mean, I'm sure most of us who play lots of RTSes know of games that will give the option to place allies' start locations near each other, right? I can't think of a reason why this common practice would be left out.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Players can ping the map prior to spawning, which is how it's done in multiplayer. I agree it would be nice for the AI to do the same.
  8. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

That may still be an issue when army is shared, since ping are of the same color, even when the whole team is on audio (which is far from being the general case).
    I like @mrcurry suggestion, since we have our own pinpoint :
    upload_2014-9-28_13-48-20.png
    It would be nice to have allied teammates pinpoint too, even when not yet confirmed. Something like :
    upload_2014-9-28_13-49-42.png
    Or more closely :
    upload_2014-9-28_13-50-3.png
    masterevar likes this.
  9. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

This would be a nice option for team games. 'Spawn close to team-mates'. WOuld have to be an option though, some people might prefer having their own 'patch of land' to secure on their own.
  10. warpobscura

warpobscura New Member

So far as I've seen, the games that have this do have it as an option rather than a mandatory thing.