FAFOREVER TAKEN DOWN

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Lextoc, September 24, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's what I was told by KF Tiger and Ruthlessone. As I said, grapevine + open to contributions.

Please help me reinstitute the facts.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I've only bothered to read the a few lines of what you wrote. Some things that seem weird/wrong:

People got kicked from halcyon due to inactivity. You could configure that number up to I think 60 minutes. People would write dots to stay in chat. If the chat was full new people were put into the channel "freeport".
    I am quite certain GPGnet had a replay vault.
    FAF really had a function that accepted your GPGnet credentials? WTF. That would mean GPG stored passwords unencrypted and even gave them away to zep at some point. Sounds at least weird to me..
    GPGnet allowed you to change your name at least at some interval
    I don't think the clan feature of GPGNet segmented anything.
    The map vault in GPGnet did work as far as I remember, same for the mod vault. Just no automatic downloads.

Though my memory isn't perfect either and I did never play that much with FAF. I only used GPGnet A LOT for quite some time.
    cptconundrum and reptarking like this.
  3. tatsujb

yeah I thought so as well.
    yeah a little weird to me too I'm keeping it until further light is shed though.
    1000 character capped but what I meant to write there is that you could take a name that had been taken, that isn't currently in use. whereas in gpgnet i never got to have tatsu and was stuck with tatsujb just like here.
    ok that one's personal opinion, i'll admit. I still maintain.
    it was slow and there was like three windows you had to open to get to one map. the faf map vault is all in a single tab of the one window.

thanks for helping! keep it coming!
    Last edited: September 25, 2014
  4. plasma_wolf

plasma_wolf Member

I'm not willing to go into the details because otherwise we'll have an argument about how another argument started and went, but ZeP had to deal with this more than once. I think that this pulling the plug has more to do with the fact that it's the last straw for ZeP.

Anyway. The way I saw it, ZeP was the person who was hated by someone for not pushing a change, he was hated by someone for pushing another change. He got into arguments for not moving on fast enough and a week later he got into arguments for moving too fast.

He also got the brunt of the hate. It may have been a large project, but ZeP was (in my view) always the one who got the hate for it.

At some point, he said "you're making me physically sick of my own project". That means that he experienced it as his (if he was being a bit of a dictator, that's something you can argue about to be changed). Anyway, "you're making me sick" is a rather extreme point to make, then a reaction such as this doesn't surprise me completely.

I don't agree with it from my current point of view, mostly because there were donations involved and other people also helped, buy if a project was completely my own and completely on a voluntary basis, I would've packed it up and taken it with me if people were to say I was doing it wrong, only to have other people say I was doing it wrong if I listened to the first group.

To have someone who's involved for less than a year and a half to declare what is essentially a hostile takeover, after years of work from your part, must've stung quite badly for ZeP. I have reread the post in question and it indeed is fairly reasonable, in essence: "I'd like to help but if I can't, wish me luck".

But after years of what happened, I also would only have seen the darkest side of it.
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

tatsujb likes this.
  6. tatsujb

7. tatsujb

okay so a Zep announcement is planned for later this evening.

hopefully good news.
  8. tatsujb

seems you where right. I edited.
  9. tatsujb

OK back online.

Small hiccup. FAF is indestructible.
    upload_2014-9-25_20-25-44.png
  10. cola_colin

Till the next time zep feels angry I guess.
  11. tatsujb

hopefully not. but yeah you got the gist. We just bear with it. Put anybody else in his place and FAF would have been dead years ago. Of course several men would be smart, but hey, life doesn't always give you what you want.
  12. tatsujb

Last edited: September 26, 2014
  13. cola_colin

reads like that new person realizes it is a really bad idea to run such a project alone and never even give the source to anyone. Opening it up after all means the original developer can just go "I don't feel like this anymore" without this kind of chaos. It's beyond me why zep did not open source the whole thing years ago.
    cptconundrum and reptarking like this.
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

To feel important?
    Quitch likes this.
  15. colonelsheppard

colonelsheppard New Member

I was told somebody offered him 10.000€ for FAF. And thats the guy that will now become the new leader. But better let this settle i cant oversee the chat right now.
  16. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

Visionik is the new owner, word is that he offered Zep 10k for everything. He now wants to establish a group leadership and make everything open source. Zep himself will quit after helping with the transition.

So I guess everything will be fine. Thank you Zep for making this move, it was the right thing to do. And thanks to visionik aswell of course.
  17. cola_colin

10k lol
    so zep was in it for the money after all
  18. tatsujb

"tout est bien qui finit bien" :D
    https://twitter.com/Ze_PilOt
    I think the 10k part is just a rumour.

EDIT: ok maybe not :
    upload_2014-9-25_23-17-55.png
  19. tatsujb

we're calling it the Faffening.
  20. gnatinator

gnatinator New Member

Nice to see other Linux users on FAF.

That's a load of garbage. Ze_PilOt had dedicated 3+ years of his life and thousands of man hours. $10,000 will never compensate for that (unless you're 16 and living with your parents), but it's a nice small bonus for his hard work.
    Last edited: September 26, 2014
    tatsujb and squishypon3 like this.