Love this game but biggest disappointment of all

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by gabbsc2, September 24, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Lots of people don't seem to comprehend that PA scales to the system it runs on, and that it doesn't currently run on your computer.

It runs of a cheap server so everyone can play simultaneously, rather then having hundreds of people waiting hours for one of the few decent servers to open up.
    powercube13 likes this.
  2. powercube13

powercube13 New Member

This is why we need the server, I can rent a server from OVH or SoYouStart for 50 dollars

I use that server for my Minecraft minigames server and it holds 150 12 player mini game servers, this should easily be able to host 4-6 15 player games. :D Just my two cents
    igncom1 likes this.
  3. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

I have tested the game a few times to see what the server can handle. Even one player with 500 or so units moving them around can cause at least some small sim speed issues. Imagine what happens when 2,3,4 and up have several hundred units. Well, you don't have to imagine what happens. Just see video from OP.
  4. igncom1

I think if I remember correctly the servers we play on are restricted to one core and a minimum amount of ram each.

And PA can be multithreded, so........ PA off-line will be off the motherducking hook.
    powercube13 and squishypon3 like this.
  5. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Unless something changes in the very near future, i think its a strong argument, that we need tier 3 units maybe even tier 4 units.

Because if the game cannot handle the amount of units for a fun game, that only other way is to limit units with hard cap, and let players tech up.

Because its definitely frustrating atm. This is the main reason beyond orbital being clunky, that i prefer 1 planet and at max a few tiny moons to play one. You hit the unit cap so fast with more than 2-3 players and then game goes into slow motion :( and units already MOVE slowly, when the games go into slowmotion, the units just move at the speed of snail
    warrenkc likes this.
  6. igncom1

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...sappointment-of-all.64522/page-3#post-1006342
  7. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I just ran into the 'soft' unit cap myself in a Galactic War game :( Got pinned on a planet against 3 AIs, tried to slug it out, but the sim just slowed to a dead crawl.

It's too bad, because they've gone so far down the road of 'lots and lots of little units fighting is cool!' that I doubt they can reverse course and do drastic things to reduce overall unit count. Game feels snappy and responsive when you start - it's a real drag when you can't finish the game though :(
  8. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

The question is Why didn't they just work on LAG rather than making up lies about what they were going to do. I have to say this game is worse than supcom2 and is the most piss poor effort to date