Alternative Unit Modes

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neptunio, September 23, 2014.

1. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

I've been thinking a lot recently about why battles in PA (as a player) feel to me a little empty when compared against battles in other big RTS games. I think one of the main reasons I feel like this is because once I have produced my troops, particularly in the mid-late game, there isn't really that much more to do except move or attack move various places on the map. I came up with an idea of giving units alternative modes you can choose to toggle. The key should be that these modes do not make the unit stronger, just more adept at dealing with certain situations. I also didn't really want to have abilities that you use, as this would probably introduce too much micro into a macro-oriented game.

Here are some of my ideas:

Bolo (T1 Tank)
    Can engage Hunker mode. While in hunker mode, the bolo cannot move, but has additional attack speed. Useful for area control, means the tank can be used almost as a mobile laser turret for strong methodical pushes.

Grenadier (T1 short range artillery bot)
    Can engage Artillery mode. While in this mode, the grenadier enjoys increased range, however its missiles take longer to arrive at enemy targets. The key is that this gives the grenadier the ability to outrange laser defence turrets (don't worry, see spinner below for a T1 counter). Secretly getting 5-10 together against a turtling opponent could be just what you need to break their defenses.

Dox (T1 bot)
    Can engage Sprint mode. Gains increased speed but loses the ability to fire on the enemy while in sprint mode.

Boom bot (T1 kamikaze bot)
    Can engage Leap mode. Instead of running across the surface, the boom bot jumps (think like a kangaroo) across the surface. While in the air, it cannot be targeted by anti land, but can be targeted by anti air. I just love the idea of boom bots leaping into an enemy line to explode.

Spinner (T1 AA tank)
    Can engage Intercept mode. Loses the ability to shoot down air while in intercept mode, but gains the ability to shoot down enemy long range projectile fire (artillery; pelter, grenadier, sheller).

Obviously there are a lot more units out there, and I haven't really thought these through particularly much, so any good ideas for improvement or for other units can be added to this post.
  2. dusanak

dusanak Member

Seems interesting but also really micro intensive in such a macro oriented game as PA is.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

You must construct additional pylons.
    komandorcliff, Geers, corteks and 5 others like this.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I'd definitely see this could be a fun addition.
    However I can see people posting they want the unit to just automatically toggle via some AI ;)
  5. Auraenn

Auraenn Active Member

This would be really cool but I'm not sure how well it'd work out in a macro intensive game.
  6. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

I don't like the boombot one, but the other ones are great. Micro wise it would require less micro than the uber cannon and it would add the needed flavour to some rather boring units.
    neptunio likes this.
  7. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

violates WYSIWYG though

not fond of unit modes personally. If you have APM to spare, expand more.
    corteks, brianpurkiss and squishypon3 like this.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Uber has already stated they're against special abilities and such, surprised nobody mentioned that. :D
    corteks and brianpurkiss like this.
  9. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  10. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Oh love that boom bot leap mode idea.
  11. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Mod, not vanilla.

This is heavily micro oriented and does not follow WYSIWYG without some clunky UI to compensate.
    meir22344 and igncom1 like this.
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It could if you design the units properly! ;p

Mike
  14. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

We don't play zoomed in looking at the models. The strategic icons would have to change would get clunky and messy real fast.

Still doesn't change the fact that it is a micro oriented mechanic and Uber has said they don't want unit abilities.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That's why I cut it out of the quote. ;p

Mike
  16. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

I'm sorry, but this would NOT require more micro than loading units in an astreus/pelican or using the uber cannon, so the whole micro thing is a bad argument imho. I do agree they shouldn't go to far in it, but a few simple ones would be really nice.
    Changing the icons would not be tough at all, something as simple a dot/square/triangle similar to the current T2 symbol. They got a whole system behind the icons, it might be flexible enough to show the abilities by just changing the strat icon without having to do clunky stuff.
    I understand 'a similar thread' may have been discussed to death about 'a similar topic', but this obviously is a NEW thread so at least give this NEW thread a chance. Discuss, put in your opinion. This forum is more and more an echo chamber shouting "WYSIWYG", "macro not micro", "confirmed no", ...
  17. dusanak

dusanak Member

Actually I quite like the Bomb Bot leap idea. However I think that it should be made their standard attack so that they get to certain distance and then just leap to the enemies to explode.
  18. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Instead of toggle-able alt modes, why not a special attack that uses PA's "ammo system"?
    Map them to the d-gun button on the UI. Upon activating the attack the unit engages targets differently for a set time period. Similar to hero spells in other RTS games.