My two cents on PA: Meh...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by webkilla, September 23, 2014.

1. webkilla

webkilla New Member

Sounds like a plan to me. Orbital shields that only protect against orbital SXX bombardments? ground-shields that only shield against direct-fire? Indirect fire shields? For added fun: make them mututally exclusive: So you can only shield against one thing at a time. This either forces you to micro you shields, or choose your frontlines VERY carefully
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The dev's have mentioned in the past about utilising a defence that takes into account how the player has rotated it.
  3. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Pretty unecessary considering there is a 50/50 chance your opponent won't see the attack anyway, even more likely if it's an orbital attack.
  4. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

well in reality you should be expecting more a TA 2 , than a FA 2... but anyway thanks for share you feeling w/ us.

and about subs, well they are having a some techinal problens, but after this is fixed they will release then!

also if you want to play SupCom we yet have FAF!

also for this "Rushing" strat, if you play on maps w/ much less metal you will get a better experience... so if you are going to make a map 20M is probably the best for a 10x10KM like map
  5. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Supcom has incredible variety in their units, and even direct upgrades still have uniqueness for both units most of the time.
  6. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

There used to be one. It was taken out because that was the single unit that spoiled both TA and SupCom by being the unit you had to mass-produce in order to win big games. It was doing the same thing to PA and so they got rid of it. IMO air is one area that is nigh-on perfect in PA as it is now.
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Not really, at all. Again, visual uniqueness is not the same as functional uniqueness, much of Supcoms units have the same function and just replace their past iteration.
  8. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

UEF t1 arty gives vision of the target area on explosion, t3 doesn't (not to mention it can fire while moving). Additionally, the t3 aeon arty is unique in that it can also move while firing.

Aeon t1 tanks hover, the obsidian and harbinger do not (the harbinger also has the ability to reclaim).

Cybran mantis can be used as assisting engineers

All t1 point defense has higher dps than any t2/t3 point defense, just shorter range. Additionally, because of the lower height of t1 PD you can use walls to greatly enhance their survivability, something you can't do with t2/t3.

most t2 fighter/bombers are less effective as mainline air defense vs mass t1 interceptors, they are used more for snipes or eco denial

uef t1 frigates use false radar signatures, making mixing them in navies a very useful mind games tactic

There are more examples these are just the ones off the top of my head.

All techs in supcom are useful in different areas of the map (why would you commit an expensive t3 units to simply deny some mex spots? t1 arty is extremely good for building damage at ALL stages of the game, because it is so cheap compared with the expensive and brittle t3 arty).
    cmdandy and Pawz like this.
  9. schuesseled192

And all of these 'features' are genuinely not apparent.
  10. squishypon3

Erm.. I'm talking per faction, it's unfair to point out how units of entirely separate factions are different. Not to mention the fact it had factions ruined total unit variety, imagine if every faction was one! That'd be one diverse game!
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that would in no way cut it.

GW, as I've voiced before needs to be rethought from the ground up.
  12. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

Haha, Squishy, you are the kind of guy who could deny that the water is wet. Good luck with that :D
  13. squishypon3

I'm sorry, but you can't truly think Supcom units had a lot of variety, I believe if you take out all literal direct upgrades (exact same role only better) then you have a mere 10 more units in whole than PA. That's over all the unit types, including t3 for supcom.
  14. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Everybody agrees that there is stuff missing. The best thing however is that Uber is planning to work on this game as long as possible (alias as long as money keeps coming). So things that are missing now can be added later which is awesome! :)

I really loved seeing this game grow from the alpha livestreams to what it is now, so I'm always eagerly waiting for a new update :)
  15. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

the T2 anti-air fighter was removed from the game because it was OP and game breaking
  16. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

This is probably the friendliest chats i've seen where someone doesn't like the game and doesn't get steam rolled with negativity.

Carry on.
  17. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

@squishypon3

FWIW squish, each example given by @monkeyulize was in-faction comparisons with higher tech units of the same the faction. Yes, there was some role obsolescence, but not nearly as much as you're making out.

And yes, you can say that the 3 factions of Supreme commander have way more variety than PA - unless you're trying to argue that just because 3 units fill the same *role* (eg, Cybran T1 bot, Aeon T1 tank, UEF T1 tank), that they are essentially the same. I would disagree - yes, they all fill the same role, but each one plays out with a unique feel, and *that* is what people mean by variety.
    cmdandy likes this.
  18. schuesseled192

You could go further and say there's no point in building land units when you have experimentals, naval and air sure, but land? pff.
  19. squishypon3

Again, giving examples from entirely different factions doesn't count, I'm talking unit variety within one faction. Of course units will be different when each faction has a whole different premise behind their units. I want examples of diversification within one faction, and their is, but not as much as people are saying.

Like I said before, if you cut out every duplicate unit from ONE faction, you'd have only ten more units than PA does, that might sound like a decent amount... until you decide those up into every unit type and add the fact supcom has an additional tech.
  20. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

Sorry for buttin in, but they promised a whole lot more than what is on the release.. WHERE IS THE UNIT LAUNCHER? THE ASTEROID BELTS ( OR SMALL ROCKS IN SPACE)? These are in the kickstarter vid, but nothing more than a meer concept has been brought up by a fellow modian. I love this game, the idea, the skill needed, but it does need those empty spaces in the build que to be filled up.
    cmdandy likes this.