PA mod manager in vanilla Petition. <3

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, September 22, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I know a long while back Uber said they'd work on some sort of in game mod marketplace. I don't know exactly what the priority of it is but considering the other more pressing issues... it can't be too high.

Would it ever be possible for some kind of vanilla integration of it so that a much larger user base will utilize mods? You could even add it as a tab in the armory or something, I don't know.

I'd also love to see some sort of small adverts within the manager for well known or heavily downloaded mods. PA stats being one of them.

I think mods are what really completes the game, of course Uber shouldn't use it as an excuse for not including features that were listed, but it'd be a very nice way to have... something in the meantime.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: Okay, its official, I made a ridiculous petition.

https://www.change.org/p/uber-enter...tion-mod-manager-into-vanilla-pa-in-some-form

How many votes do you think it should take? Haha. :p
    Last edited: September 23, 2014
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Because PA is not a steam based game.
  3. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

+1
    squishypon3 likes this.
  4. squishypon3

Only means it'll still exist when Steam eventually shuts down. :p

Edit: But let's not get too far off topic, haha.
    christer1966 likes this.
  5. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I would love this, especially for bringing balance mods to the public
  6. trialq

trialq Post Master General

A description and link to pamm in the pa and steam launchers would be nice, until the mod marketplace gets implemented (which I assume will be a while).

Whatever happens, I can breathe happy knowing that PA is not a steam game ;)
  7. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

I think in the near term a community news tab which features mods etc would do wonders be quick for unber to do aswell, while they work on a mod ui, i bet a few people dont even know you can get mods for PA
    Nicb1 and squishypon3 like this.
  8. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

You know what'd be better? This!
    Raevn and squishypon3 like this.
  9. squishypon3

I bet that's what we all said said about poor old gamespy. :(
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's exactly what I suggested to @BradNicholson a while ago.
    No real response so far though (yes this is intended to ping him to keep it in his mind :p)
    Last edited: September 22, 2014
    squishypon3 likes this.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

PAMM is good enough that I wouldn't mind seeing it ship with the game as it is right now and then they could just add a button in the launcher to open it. I suppose no matter that they do though, the Steam kids will get angry if mod support isn't done through the workshop...
    squishypon3 likes this.
  12. Maldor96

Maldor96 Active Member

I run pretty much run all of my games from steam and the workshop integration in my opinion is a good idea but has some drawbacks. If PA doesn't want to use the steam workshop for mods I'm perfectly ok with it. If they do, good for them :)

As for integration, make a mod that is PAMM, or something that launches PAMM :rolleyes:
  13. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I'd very much like to see this happen, as the modding community has the ability to bring the best out of the game and even encourage more people to buy the game and keep playing. If this mod exposure is not dealt with by Uber soon, I can see some potentially really good mods being buried and forgotten about as well.
    squishypon3 and epicblaster117 like this.
  14. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

15. squishypon3

Everyone, let's start a petition! Haha. :p
    reptarking and Nicb1 like this.
  16. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I have PA on steam like many others and use PAMM and i think its pretty good and i also noticed steamworkshop doesn't work half te time.
  17. squishypon3

I'm still stuck on what's a reasonable amount of signatures to make Uber consider this, I know 300 is not a large amount of players in the whole community..

I'm thinking 500, up to 1000 maybe.

Basically I'll want to spam this to all my friends who play PA and even just randoms in the lobby. :p
  18. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

You have my name by your side.
  19. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I both hope and think that Uber will not implement a default PAMM integration any time soon. Don't get me wrong: PAMM is a powerful tool, I'm using it myself. And we've already got several very powerful mods, several of which are adressing key issues the game is facing right now (balance or 1vs1 ladder).

However, mods also have downsides.
    1. PA currently has a small community, there are very few active players, rarely more than a dozen games available during prime time, and the bad ratings won't help with that. Mods will always split a community, both in mod users and non-mod users, but also across the game modes.
    2. Mods can make developers lazy. The phrase "mods can fix issue XYZ" that's thrown around these forums so much should really get people thinking. Uber should fix the game's various issues; user mods for the most part are nothing but a temporary band-aid.
    3. (minor point) default PAMM integration would take away from developer time, QA testing etc. The game has much, much more important flaws that need to be adressed ASAP.
    My 2 cents. I know, I know, I'm negative like always. I like PAMM and what it does, but I don't think the game as is could use it.
  20. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

There are a lot of very very good mods that don't affect other players and you can use them in regular games. I have over a dozen and they smooth out the experience. Some are just personal preferences others I think should probably be incorporated.

I haven't used server mods for the same reasons you've laid out. Doesn't mean PAMM shouldn't be available to more people.
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  21. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General