How's Naval Balance Coming?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by brianpurkiss, September 19, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

A dev (can't remember who) said that there was a Naval balance in the works. And... nothing has been seen or heard of it since.

Can we expect to see anything soon?

I used to love SupCom naval, and really would love to get some naval matches going on PA.
    eratosthenes, ace63, cmdandy and 2 others like this.
  2. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Is it just balance that the naval game needs, or also additional units?
    cmdandy likes this.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Depends on who you ask.
  4. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

right now: balance

work on more units later.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

We definitely need subs and sub hunters (torpedo boats).

But since stuff like that is such low priority for Uber... I'll settle for naval balance.
  6. Auraenn

Auraenn Active Member

I'd love for naval to actually be useful. They feel like long range peashooters that can barely assault a base. On top of that the unit pathing for naval units is ridiculously bad.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

We can work with the unit roles we have now, and once done, look at what is really missing from a working balance, much like orbital.
  8. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

the balance of the naval game is.....go dox and slammers, they are way better/more cost effective/more maneuverable/effects land better then any naval units (except maybe T2 navy units, but nobody ever gets to that point, then again, dox and slammers will never get shot at by the 2 T2 naval units that we have currently)
  9. raphamart

raphamart Member

I used to like the naval from beta, it was so cool and useful. They were vital if you wanted to rule a map with some water. Now they are just useless and I think the models are so cool!

Please, provide this rebalance quickly, Uber!
    mjshorty likes this.
  10. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

philoscience and zihuatanejo like this.
  11. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

More units would be nice (and removal of underwater combat fabbers), but this is the best I could do with the current unit set: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-burntcustards-mini-balance-mods.64088/#post-1002499

I think the MORE SPEED, more consistency, and the ability to fight Dox while they're underwater with a cheap boat (the Sun Fish, which I halved in cost to 150) are the most important things here.
  12. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

I would like to add my voice to the choir asking for the return of naval stuff. I really liked SupCom's naval, especially the sub/surface ships dynamic; it would really add something to PA imo.

And yeah, Dox are kinda nonsense on water maps atm. It makes me sad.
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I really do like supcoms navy, but wish it had more stuff to help with a amphibious assault/bombardment/support.

Combat ships is fine, but without just battleshiping it up and killing anything in range, you are kinda limited to a little fire support and landing troops from air-transports/air support.

Id love some mobile dox factorys, and naval transports for full on bulk movement.
  14. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Why even bother with the clunkyness of a naval transport when you could have a factory ship which builds amphibious units. I mean, a water variant of the bot factory that only builds amphib can work too, but mobile factory would be more fun, also, it'd give naval the unique ability to advance your production line closer to the enemy base without needing new factories, and also retreat your production when defending.
    monkeyulize likes this.
  15. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

basically your asking for bot factory to be buildable in shallow water?
  16. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

It sounds more like a real mobile naval factory, which could build a certain unit set. I think its an interesting idea and gives naval play a unique aspect (which it sorely needs).
  17. pieman2906

Basically, Naval needs to bring something to the table that Air and Bots alone cannot provide. First order of business, naval need more torps, if naval are restricted to puddles, then they need to OWN those damn puddles. The thought of having to assault an area of your base near water you have a naval presence in should be daunting to your opponent.

Naval dominance shouldn't give you outright victory, but bots and air should fear going anywhere near water, since they're on BOAT turf now.

Naval should be effective at area control in the seas they reside in, enemy movement should be rendered highly restricted to near impossible through waterways you control uncontested.

Bombers and slammers will still be able to brute force their way through navies, sure, but they will PAY for the privilege. Dislodging navy without a navy of your own should be a costly endeavor.

A navy can't roll into your base (assuming it's on land), you're more or less safe in inland areas, but on planets with water bodies, Naval should be very good at locking down area control and making it hard for the enemy to move.

If I win the naval battle, the Sea is MY turf sucka! I catch you tryin' to so much as sneak a Dox across a river I'll be on you!

Anyway, that's the sorta vibe naval units should evoke.
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I too always felt naval should be slightly OP on it's own terrain. Right now, it is generally the weakest of units, and it has had a history prior of being particularly exploitable where the terrain gave opportunity. I took Brads commander down before with bluebottles chasing it, they used to barely catch up to commanders but they in fact did so. Now, the commander is stronger than 20 ships, he can kite-retreat them with a longer ranged weapon and make quick work of them, just a second or two per ship.
  19. pieman2906

I was just playing through Supcom's campaign earlier today. I was shocked at how speedy the ships were, i always remember them being slow as heck, but in comparison with land units, their speed actually isn't too shabby at all.

(I was also reminded of how terribly useless any and all T1 ground to air AA is.)
  20. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

or the Rise of Nations solution of all land units embarking on water that arent amphibious like the dox and slammer be turned into cute little boats that can easily be shot down if you dont cover your landings
    kryovow and pieman2906 like this.