Spectating an in-progress match, I can't see any units

Discussion in 'Support!' started by planktum, September 12, 2014.

1. planktum

planktum Post Master General

@garat @varrak Whenever I spectate an in-progress match, the planets load, but I can't see any units.
  2. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

3. planktum

4. mikeyh

5. mikeyh

warrenkc and planktum like this.
  6. planktum

Voted!
    warrenkc likes this.
  7. dreamquest

dreamquest Member

I've been reporting this since release, but looking at that beta site linked above, you mean this has been a confirmed bug since March? Good golly. o_O

What bugs me is that in the three or four times I have created or responded to threads about this, not a single soul, including the devs, tried to help resolve the issue. The spec system can't be entirely broken; after all, people are posting matches everyday with seemingly live play-by-play commentaries. So what's so special about our setups that we can't view the players but most others can?
    Last edited: September 18, 2014
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

The others can, because they are present as spectator in the game lobby. Once the game has started, there is no way to spectate an already running game. You can watch the replays afterwards just fine though using the replay browser and the lobby ID.
    It's just a low priority bug as you can tell. :)
    dreamquest likes this.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

And there may be people who do not even want that others randomly can watch their games while in progress.
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

@ezerek recently commented and noted that "Oh, didn't know this was still happening". It will get worked on.
    dreamquest likes this.
  11. mikeyh

The default spectators is now zero so it's only possible if you add spectators. (it was 1 just prior to release)
  12. dreamquest

dreamquest Member

Ah! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I finally know the reason for my two weeks of frustration.

The thing is, though, I kind of figured that might be the problem, but whenever I try (only three times, actually) to join as a spectator to a game still waiting for players, I get a "Login Failure" (or something similar) message. So based on that, I figured the opposite of what you said and thought the game had to be in progress first. (For in-progress games, I always get "Login Accepted.")

Anyway, again, thanks for the explanation!
  13. dreamquest

dreamquest Member

Yeah. :( Looking at the lobby right now, there are four games in the queue, all with 'Spectate' set to 0/0.

So, in a nutshell, random spectator mode is not supported? Will it ever be?

Edit: Yay! After two weeks, I was finally able to spectate a couple of matches tonight. To answer my own question (struck out above), I guess it seems the match creator/host sets the # of spectator slots in the match creation screen. So, yeah, I doubt most people care one way or another, so if defaults to zero, it will probably remain zero since the creator simply doesn't notice or care. So please consider changing it back to one.
    Last edited: September 19, 2014
  14. furyhunter600

furyhunter600 New Member

This bug is still present in the current build.