What Uber should Focus on.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Gerfand, September 17, 2014.

1. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Not that I think my opinion matters, but this is what I think should be worked on:

Offline, Save/Load, Galactic War, Optimizations, UI improvements and maybe some extra units... G.W. the most for me, it's pretty shallow and boring as it stands.

And maybe some kind modder can give us shields..
    Last edited: September 18, 2014
    galaxyisos likes this.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I put "feel" in quotations because I was talking specifically about how we were comparing - in this case by unit size & weapon range. There are certainly more factors to it overall (spherical worlds for example cut down the distance between many of the points, especially near the poles), but many of the factors are subjective or situationally dependent. Unit speed can contribute, vision can be too. I don't think Health would be though (it changes the feel, but not in a size related way, but rather a game speed one).

For reference (PA tank vs FA tank):

Unit speed: 10m/s vs 64.449m/s
    Vision: 100m vs 390.6m

These approximately follow the 1:4 ration between PA & FA seen in other stats.
  3. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Well that told me i guess. :p
  4. alienmind

alienmind New Member

Bigger planets sounds good actually. Maybe introduce an option to set half the planet as dead-zone, to make the people who want to have "2D maps" happy.
    Designing a planet with manually placed walls and mex and spawn points would also be nice.
    Other than that, build templates and a better way to visualize/change build queues of factories.
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Your point is still valid. For example my calculations are all based of equatorial circumferences, which is the widest path around the planet. Where you are on the planet will change this. If I get time, I might compare surface areas of the planets vs Sup Com maps, because that would also be a useful data point.
  6. classic1977

classic1977 Member

I wish Uber would focus on giving my money back for this trash. The 4.8 from IGN was super deserved, and I feel vindicated. Told you so.
  7. galaxyisos

galaxyisos Member

i am not good at this kind of calculations but from my basic knowledge

5x5km supcom map=20 circumference ???(5x4 square map)

isnt the widest path around the planet for 5x5 Supcom map 20(5x4) ???or i am missing something:)
  8. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I never really felt we need bigger planets. Would be a cool thing to have, but not necessary. While the maps numerically might not reach the scope of SupCom's stuff, there is a lot more to their form. SC had a lot of ridiculously long range artillery and empty space, and parts of the maps, especially the corners, are traditionally pretty useless compared to a planet, where every place leads anywhere. E.g. take the idea of front lines, they mean there is much less are to defend and to attack than the 'front circles' in PA.

That said, bigger planets are always cool. I wonder why the experimental size was disabled? When i tried a 1.5k terran planet (still got one saved), it seemed to work just fine.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Teehee, nobody trusts IGN anyway, must I bring up the 10/10 IGN "it was good" examples once more? :p
  10. felipec

felipec Active Member

More small things that makes the difference -

1 - It is bad the transition between the unit in orbital route and when they arrive on the planet or when the unit is on the planet and then it start its orbital route. I mean, it should be something more fluid.. every part of the game is really smooth but when I see this transition... it is like paper cut.

2- The gw map doesn't feels like a galaxy. What about the stars follows a more spiral pattern?

3- When a galactic war begin, we should see some animation of the commander awakening or things like that. Right now I fell that there is no lore, nothing to tell. I dont wanna fancy cinematics, but simple animations like in the launch trailer.