?

A poll to represent who is making a tutorial video.

1. I'm making a video now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's finished (link in post)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Someone out there who can record their game & post it on YouTube... MAKE AN UPDATED TUTORIAL!!! That is all
  2. ArchieBuld

ArchieBuld Active Member

This could help your early-mid game:

I think this is pretty fair for a tutorial.
    zihuatanejo and drz1 like this.
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

how about an interactive tutorial instead of just a video?
  4. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

I'm just tired of hearing all of the complaints about a lack of a tutorial.

What's needed is:
    1. Gameplay mechanic tutorial

Which explains all of the features from area commands to firing the Annihlasor (which would include the lobby features)

2. A Beginners Guide

To explain what should be focused on for your early, mid, & late-games.

3. An Advanced Guide

Tips, tricks, & techniques for annihilating your opponents. From 1v1's to massive FFA's.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  5. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

that would be something either a modder, or Uber would have to come up with, & that should be the absolute LAST thing that Uber should do. They have a lot to do already, & an interactive tutorial would take ALOT of time & coding.
  6. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

& yes, this makes a pretty decent tutorial, although I think the explanations were a little lacking. A tutorial is meant for someone who is not familiar with an RTS. Your video world serve better as a guide (a mix between beginner & advanced)
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  7. mjshorty

Only because its not something that you would care about because you already know planetary annihilation, but this game is getting criticized for having a small video tutorial that is outdated and just...doesn't tech stuff. I had a couple of friends buy it and ive had to come over to their house and play by play help them learn planetary annihilation. i mean cmon, a tutorial is incredibly important for a game, because you want your player-base to know how to play the game, not just get thrown right into the middle of it like what Planetside 2 did for a while or an extreme example: Dwarf Fortress
  8. ArchieBuld

ArchieBuld Active Member

Yeah, we really need an in-depth tutorial. I think a lot of people would appreciate that.
  9. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

I didn't say to not have a tutorial, I said an INTERACTIVE tutorial. That requires quite a bit of coding, not to mention balance needs to be finished before such a tutorial can be made. Jeezus... Did you read what I wrote at all??
  10. mjshorty

i just stated that thats what we need, for the new player-base, a video-tutorial doesnt cut it
  11. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Look at the reply below the one I gave you, I provided what could be currently done. An interactive tutorial while useful, CANNOT be feasibly done at this time
  12. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Just look at all the games that provide an interactive tutorial, at the time those are made, balance is typically completed, not a WIP.

An interactive tutorial would be broken immediatly with the next balance update. It's a low priority because other things HAVE TO BE DONE FIRST.

That's why video tutorials are the only things available, & while the one embedded by Uber IS outdated, there are other videos out there that aren't. (And remember this, that outdated tutorial was made by a 3rd party, not an Uber employee)
  13. mjshorty

Balance is considered "Complete"(or more accurately, functional) when a game is released, which PA is(otherwise the game is considered 'broken' on release). Uber certainly thinks Balance is nearly there because we havent gotten any balance changes the last 2 patches and the third patch (which was the first release patch) had only minor changes.

As for the tutorial provided by Uber entertainment (the one on the main menu when you click *tutorial*) is done by the Uber team, Brad Nicholson, the awesome guy commentating through the tutorial, is the community manager of Uber entertainment.
    Also, many players dont want to be bothered with 3rd party tutorials, its just simply how it is.
    The amount of views on Ubers Tutorial is over 39,000 views, while the largest view count from the community, from Zaphod, only has about 18,000 veiws, less then half of Ubers tutorial.
    a good tutorial is a great thing for the game, and critics are marking PA down for not having a good tutorial, or even less, advanced tooltips in the UI