New Super Weapon Idea

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cody8598, March 31, 2014.

?

How do you find this Idea?

1. I like it

30.6%
  2. Nah it's not good

69.4%
  1. wienerdog4life

wienerdog4life Active Member

739+ (certainly there are more) planets known in our universe and this guy thinks they all look like Earth. ok darling :*
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's not the point, you're whitelisting all those that ARE filled with lava (once again) a majority case.

you're going to try your drill on the 10% that aren't is that it? or are you going to toss in Gas Giants into the lot and try to drill on them too?
    Last edited: April 2, 2014
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Not really a new idea. Stuff like this has been suggested before.

I don't like it – mainly because we don't need more superweapons.
  4. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

Not quite, you can not target the planet effectively as you do not have line of sight or radar or something. basically you are just shoot blindly and if you have 20 nukes why can't your opponent have 20 anti-nukes?
  5. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Preasure exists everywhere in the universe.. and any SIZEABLE body of mass should generate enough pressure on itself if create a molten core.
    Geers likes this.
  6. tabrisangelus

tabrisangelus New Member

i have lots of pressure on me, does that mean i have a molten core.
  7. tatsujb

yes a very warm heart. :)
  8. pizzalover3000

pizzalover3000 Active Member

been suggested, I like the idea personally. I personally would want to blow up my own planet because then I can move out before the planet blows up.
  9. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Well, I tried it last night anyway and couldn't figure it out.
    The only button that I got was "annihilate"
    Anyone have video of how to change a planet's orbit?
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I have a feeling that the ability was in at start of Gamma (but unfortunately not working properly) so they subsequently removed the button until it's fixed. So I don't think its possible right now...?
  11. Geers

Geers Post Master General

12. wienerdog4life

You do know that it isn't pressure that causes a molten core, right?
  13. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

You do know pressure and temperature are directly related.... pressure is a force per unit area....
    The force exerting the pressure is derived from gravity. Mass and temperature are not directly related.. pressure and temperature are..
  14. wienerdog4life

It's heat left over from the formation of the planet and nuclear decay that keeps our core molten.
    aevs likes this.
  15. aevs

aevs Post Master General

First;
    Most of the earth's interior is solid. It only behaves as a liquid in a geological timescale, that is to say, over a really really really long time. Drilling through it would probably introduce a whole lot of other complications, but to say that "beyond a couple miles deep there's only lava" is flat out wrong. The liquid outer core is 2800+ km below the surface.

As for your claim that most (especially for the claim that "90%" of) planets have a molten interior: [citation needed]. There's really no way to come up with a figure like that without making it up on the spot, considering how small our sample size is.
    A lot of the planets (and I'll include the moons of the gas giants here too) in our solar system do have molten cores, but certainly not all. Of those that do, most are less active than the earth's, many we still aren't even sure about, and as I've mentioned before the liquid core is not just "a couple miles deep".
  16. tatsujb

dude even with the metal with the highest melting point in the universe (I'm not even going to ask, how you manage to make it into a drill with mechanisms and all) you drill would still melt 2800 km in let alone not even be able to point down anymore.

It's unfeasible. detonating as deep as you could go all you could ever do was provoke some sort of big earthquake and landslides at a grand scale.

I know the figure isn't right but what do you want. you would certainly be hard pressed to try and claim a majority of planets don't have a molten core especially since for a majority of the solar systems we discover the only planets they have are much closer to their sun than we are.
  17. wienerdog4life

Asking how we can make a feasible drill to burrow into a planet in the same game where we can strap rockets to a planet to change their orbits. lol come on, man.
  18. cody8598

cody8598 New Member

Yes I was inspired by that scene :D
  19. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

You know that you will have to replace the whole core of a moon with fuel to move it right?
  20. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

To deny the resources to the enemy. "Scorched earth" is a thing.
    This option would be in addition to planet smashing. It will also propably not work on moon or metal planets (but you could overload the core of the planet - somewhere the anni-lasers power has to come from).

With the anni-laser in the room we now know they just find a new orbit.
    This could be a nice "not quite as powerfull" version of the anni-laser. You would still need enough presence to actually finish that thing on the target.
    Maybe if it had a time to work and could not be canceled, it would be fairer (so even you have to destroy it and start from scratch, if you change your mind).

Not less feasible then FTL travel and planet sized superlasers that can blow up anything with a glance. It is really, really hard to destroy or move a planet, yet we can do it easily:
    How to destroy the Earth

Since we can already do much less "feasible" stuff, blowing up a planet using boring a hole and drop some Anti-mater would be feasible. Note that the guide is about permanently destroying it (so it will not just clump togetehr again). For our purposes we need nothing like this.
    It would also be feasible to just turn the whole surface in to lava (using all the magma) or otherwise making the surface inhabitable/unbuildable.

As the developers say:
    "We are not shooting for realism. We are shooting for awesome."
    Rule of cool trumps science in this universe.