Released but not done....

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by namelesst, September 18, 2014.

1. namelesst

namelesst Member

Am I the only person who has a problem with this being called a release?

This is the last game I will back or preorder. Don't get me wrong, I think it was money well spent and there has been immense improvement from the dev's work but I take issue with something being "released" with still "plenty of work to do."

To hell with everyone demanding release. Call it released when it is done. I am tired of companies "releasing" a half baked product that they are still working on full time. Either it's done or it isn't. Many people buy the game, see the state it is in and often never come back. It's just shady and rubs me the wrong way.

That said, good job, keep working.
  2. napperjabber

napperjabber New Member

Release? More like release candidate. I'll wait and see what Service Pack 1 offers before I talk more about this.
  3. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

The problem is that nordic games is cracking the whip on uber, making them release. They have already extended and thy have a contract to obey.
  4. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Blame Nordic games for everything. Starting to think it was a mistake for Uber to partner with them...
    stuart98 and christer1966 like this.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

What makes you guys think that?

Mike
  6. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Last edited: September 18, 2014
  7. namelesst

namelesst Member

I like how they say they shipped because it was done....

I was always told I'm only done if I am done. You know.... no more work to be done type of thing.
    cmdandy likes this.
  8. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

It is what it is, we don't know for sure why Uber released when they did, but no doubt they had compelling reasons. I do worry that it will lead to premature bad reviews and weaker sales, but what's done is done and the only really important thing now is further development. And I believe that Uber have stated multiple times that they intend to continue with development.

And essentially it /is/ a done game. I can see why they said that. Yes, offline mode and custom servers etc will be nice features to have, but for the vast majority of people, the game works, it works well, and it is a lot of fun to play.

So welcome to the real world people, where companies don't have infinite resources and the luxury of sinking thousands and thousands of man-hours into projects until they have reached their dream of perfection. **** happens, let's just roll with it, enjoy the game as it is, and look forward to the new features yet to come.
    drz1 likes this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

They never claimed to be finished completely, they just think they've completed their initial goal. What they had imagined the game to be originally.

To Uber 1.0, release, it's just a point in time. It's not the end. Same with any game that updates honestly, such as Tf2.
    DeadStretch likes this.
  10. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I agree with you, although it is hard to quantify just how many people who bought this are happy/ unhappy with it...
    cmdandy and zihuatanejo like this.
  11. j0hnb0y

j0hnb0y New Member

Is this just your assumption or is this fact?

I think PA has a rather short future unfortunately. I have a feeling PA 2 might be on the way for a rather hefty premium before this game gets anywhere near as good as it should/was promised to be.
    cmdandy likes this.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Bleh, I really don't feel like searching for the quotes at the moment as I'm in class. Maybe later, I can give you offline is coming quotes though!

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/new-offline-is-coming-quotes-for-the-saviors-in-need.63989/
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I would love to know what made you come to this conclusion?
    drz1 likes this.
  14. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

So you think one more thread complaining about the rushed release of PA, would make a difference, why not just post in on of the serveral other thread's where people cry about this topic?
    darkmecha, squishypon3 and doud like this.
  15. gatokatcha

gatokatcha New Member

The very same way. So you think one more try to suppress the concern about this rushed release is necessary ? Why not let to Brad his work ? If you followed the link in nicb1 post you'd see he is taking "care" of the issue.
  16. namelesst

namelesst Member

I know the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Unless you are a pain in the ***, none of your concerns will ever be addressed typically. So one more thread complaining is one more thread they will see. Maybe next time they won't claim release with a game they aren't done with.

Look, either its released and the only thing left is tracking down a few bugs, Or it's not done and they are still adding to it. I just want companies to be honest about their intentions towards a game. War of the vikings was the last alpha/beta I was a part of. Patches never stopped, each one after release making it worse. War of the roses was an amazing game on release. I've since uninstalled it because of every patch they made destroying it. I'm tired of companies releasing something they aren't done with.
    cmdandy likes this.
  17. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I still love the game, and I tried to defend it, to almost unhealthy levels, on Steam etc. But Uber won't just make things easy by themselves, by either: releasing the game later when it had offline; making an official announcement on launch, or shortly after that explained offline was coming.
    As such, I have just read post after post in the last two weeks, of people saying the game is trash and the devs are greedy scum for releasing the game without offline and not saying anything, with assumptions, mis truths and blatant lies flying everywhere ( the recent one was that Uber asked for the metacritic score to be removed be us it was bad). brad popping onto Steam for about five minutes to respond to couple of people saying "offline is coming" is not enough. Why didn't he start an entire thread announcing that offline was in the works? If it was because he didnt want to draw attention to the problem, then there was no worry about that, because just about everyone on there is moaning about it, including discussion boards and the reviews, which by the way, are now all negative when searching by most helpful this week.
    As such, it just feels like this launch has been a huge disappointment, as a massive fan from when I first aw the kickstarter video. I still love the game, and hope it does well, and i think the devs are talented, genuine and passionate, but I just get this horrible pit of the stomach feeling whenever I go onto steam now, or look at the metacritic or review sites.
    I think I'm going to take a break for a month or two, and hopefully some of the features that people are complaining about will be in, and some of the brouhaha will have died down. I really hope PA does well, financially at least, so that Uber can keep improving it, but I think I just need some time away from it, or at least here, for a while.

Feel free to call me a whining sissy pants, but I think for my own sanity I'm going to stay away for a while. Hopefully see some of you guys in a couple of months for some epic gaming :)
    cmdandy likes this.
  18. slipstik

slipstik New Member

These last 2 years Uber was great about giving us information about the game until they decided to release it. I dont know if this is because of Nordic but i bet it is. They are a publisher after all and all they care about is THE MONEY. I'm still wondering why uber bothered to partner with them. The game was doing ok on steam and would of done great on GOG. You can bet Nordic made them keep the DRM and rush them game out the door before it was Done. As its almost unplayable to me as is stands (poor internet where i live) i was waiting on the offline play and to have it pulled with no word from Uber as well as them going back and removing all info about offline play. That just doesnt sit well with me. Oh but we got an annihilaser woopty do.
  19. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Nordic is not the Publisher of PA. Uber is. Uber and Nordic just have a distribution partnership. For the physical disc versions.

I have no idea where people are getting all these crazy theories from. Also Uber has spoken about this topic... Offline and Save is coming soon.
  20. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

Uber has a history of bad after-launch support. 'Tis fact.
    We shall see if they stick true to their claims in PA. For me, it will be the first and last straw if they fail.
    cmdandy likes this.