"Review" by Rock Paper Shotgun

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by unimatrx, September 17, 2014.

1. unimatrx

unimatrx New Member

2. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Pretty good review. Didn't slam the game for being too hard, rather admitted that he wasn't that good of a player.
    tatsujb and zweistein000 like this.
  3. fredegar1

fredegar1 Member

I don't read RPS much…is it usually a poster boy for yellow journalism like it is here?

For the most part though, I think it's positive exposure for the game.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

That is an excellent review. It's the first time I've seen an author admit that it's not really a game for them but still give a fair review anyway!
    Remy561, Taxman66, tatsujb and 5 others like this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This wasn't really a review, it was a sales pitch for the game.

PA has plenty of flaws that any true "review" would mention. Lack of offline play, no server, no saves, no unit cannon, no matchmaking, etc.

It was a very nice writup and sales pitch for PA, but it certainly wasn't a review.
    wilhelmvx, paulusss, bradaz85 and 3 others like this.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That text makes me want to play that game.
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

A nice read, though review it is not.
    This is just recounting your events and pointing out flaws/pluses that you personally experienced, a review is an analysis and little more than that.

Back in my day (which wasn't very long ago) we used to call these recounts Adventures.

EDIT: Ninjered.
  8. unimatrx

unimatrx New Member

that's why i put it in quotation marks
  9. Lukekk

Lukekk New Member

Not really a review, but there's a video for PA on the front page of polygon. So more reviews should be coming in soon! :) Also, excuse my language, but **** Quarter to Three.
  10. Lukekk

Lukekk New Member

Just to elaborate, they gave PA 1/5 stars, and basically sucked Starcraft 2's ego off for half the review.
  11. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

it'd be a shame if the RPS didn't go towards metacritic, considering it's a pretty good antithesis to the Quarter To Three review.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  12. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Haha, robo-Sun Tzu, hope sorian reads that.
    websterx01 likes this.
  13. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

That review is seriously the worst review I've ever read. Not just because I like PA, but because they are total morons. That metacritic shows such low quality reviews is astounding.

Edit: Fixed tense.
    Last edited: September 17, 2014
    cwarner7264, drz1 and tehtrekd like this.
  14. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

People need to expect the bad reviews. Yes the game is probably quite an achievement for the budget and time it has taken, but Varrak himself has admitted that PA is a game that should have taken 5 years to make, and that to me, is admitting that things were rushed. See the Youtube video. Sorry @varrak , I've given you praise for the RAM optimisation work you have done since release, but in all honesty the development of this game has been haphazard and rushed. It should not have been released in this state. It's not up to the backers to say when the game is ready for release, that was up to Uber to decide, but games get bad reviews for a reason and there's no denying that a lot of the criticism is warranted. My opinion of the game changes all the time, I think this is due to the fact that I love the concept of the game, yet the execution is lacking. Missing features and bad performance of this magnitude, is just not acceptable for a release game. Yes games get patched after release, but we aren't just talking about minor patches.

You don't get bonus points for developing the game in such a short time, with such a small budget. Gamers don't care about that. They want a polished game and you will be judged against other games in the market. You can't design a simple pong game in 24 hours on a budget of $100 and expect to get 10/10 just because of the budget and time constraints you worked within. You get judged on the quality of the game alone and that's it.

paulusss likes this.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Actually I'm pretty sure you're interpreting it wrong, he's congratulating the whole team for making this game so quickly. :p
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Journalists are casuals. The idea that any of them would be so much as CAPABLE of properly playing this game, let alone give anything like an accurate evaluation of it in the context of the history of RTS games in particular and videogames in general is laughable.
  17. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Although you gotta love the way he ends the whole thing. Those last couple of sentences are golden.
    optimi likes this.
  18. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

This is the most arrogant thing I've heard all day...
  19. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

But I think RPS just did it correctly. :)
  20. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General