Invade Planets?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by atharol, September 14, 2014.

?

Do you want more options to invade planets?

1. No! i'm good.

3.0%
  2. Yes!!!

97.0%
  1. atharol

atharol Member

When will we get more options to invade planets?

Right now lategame is all about who have the most nukes, Its not even about smashing planets anymore, even if somone tryes to build a engine on a planets you just send like 20 nukes and destroy them.

We need the Unit Cannon and maybe some sort of orbital heavy transport ship, that can carry like 30 small units 10 bigger or one hugh battleship so that you can invade water only planets also.

Would be great with some more options to conquer planets so you have other options to invade planets other then nukes only games.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Asteroid belts and drop pods!

Asteroid belts fix the stalemate issues, and drop pods allow for invasions when the unit cannon cannot be used.
    onesparxy, raphamart, ace63 and 2 others like this.
  3. atharol

atharol Member

That would have been awesome!

Are that to be implemented into the game? :)
  4. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

just had a game earlier, 2v2, 2 planets, no metal planet, no gas planet, no smashable planet.

Each team on one planet. Fortified with umbrella, avenger, air patrols and anti nuke. Cos anti nuke is much cheaper than nuke its impossible to nuke someone out. Sniping with laser sats, also impossible. Landing with troops or teleporter, also impossible.

we need more options for such a case (unit cannon, to form a bridge head for example)
  5. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Well they talked about asteroid belts a bit and how that was likely one of the major features to get the next attention. This was a few weeks ago though, before 1.0.
    atharol likes this.
  6. agrazell

agrazell New Member

Sound really great! Just name the transport to Pegasus or something and throw it into the game NOW!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  7. qu3l

qu3l New Member

I totally agree, however in the anti-nuke case if he dosen't have loads of anti nukes, just build a lot of nuke towers and send them all at once. :)
    elkanfirst likes this.
  8. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

its easier to spam antinukes than nukes sooo
  9. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

What about systems without asteroid belts?
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

So, what is wrong with a mass vanguard drop?

Is it the AA? I feel like it's the AA, and bombers afterwords.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

What about systems without orbiting moons, without asteroid belts, and without metal planets?

Well, you just removed all of your main invasion techniques.

The idea is that all multi-planet systems would have asteroid belts. If there's no asteroid belt, then you should know that you're removing your main method of beating orbital stalemates.

Even then, drop pods would be pretty good alternative.

Unit cannon wouldn't fit the bill if there aren't asteroids or moons.
  12. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Unit cannon won't fit the bill period unless we're able to move asteroids again, unless Uber gives it unlimited range (TERRIBLE IDEA).
    igncom1 and brianpurkiss like this.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

14. superspacekingjelly

superspacekingjelly New Member

Why not some kind of planet cracking device where you can trade real estate for KEWs. Problems I see with it are, you are still generating planetary bodies at runtime and, it makes securing moons less important, as well as screwing up single planet systems. Although, it would be cool.
  15. atharol

atharol Member

I totaly agree, Would be awesome with a few new options to invade planets. But what will happen when its a water only planet?
    In that chase you most be able to send ships aswell :S
  16. steampunked

steampunked New Member

While I personally don't like the idea of the UC (I would rather see it replaced with drop pods- see (3))- I am all in favor of having more options regarding planetary invasion. Regardless of whether or not we get the UC, I would still prefer we get an expanded orbital tool set. That being said, we also need to be cognizant of keeping the orbital envelope balanced.

I would like to see:

(1) Heavy transport (can carry 30+ T1 units or 10+T2 units)
    (2) Heavy orbital cruiser- with the caveat that its function be to support invasions and NOT be an orbital super weapon. Should have enough life to withstand a reasonable amount of hits from umbrellas (which actually fire relatively quickly) and do damage comparable to, say, 2 Anchors. Again, it's not there to be a game winner, it's just there to be serve as support. Hell, we could make it a missile boat and say it will only attack space based and atmosphere based enemies (does not target ground at all) just so it can deal with protecting the orbital envelope while also dealing with bomber spam.
    (3) A suggestion for the UC cannon's mechanics. Don't make it a cannon- instead make it a building that launches units packaged in to drop pods. The way this works is that you simply tell units to enter the building and the get automatically packaged. You can set the building to continuously cycle (whenever a unit enters it immediately gets packaged and shot to the target destination) or leave it in manual mode whereas it will continue to package units until it is full (say max capacity is 50 units - T1 or T2- though this could always be balanced if as needed) and when you select your target destination, it launches all of the units in volleys of say 10 units at a time. The units then land in a saturation spread (like area attacking with multiple nukes).
    mophmoph likes this.
  17. eRe4s3r

eRe4s3r New Member

steampunked it totally agree with that list. To top it of a T3 orbital dreadnought could be put in that can "deflect" ground attacks and if you order it to can land, once. And then acts as a armed teleporter and factory. The cost should be about half of what activating the death-laser costs.

This coupled with a support capital ship that can handle ORBIT units and there would be no stalemate for long ;)

Or basically, we need tier 3 ^^ The stalemate issue was never going to be fixed just because we don't have shields.
  18. YourGrandma15

YourGrandma15 New Member

I totally support steampunked, this game needs the option to make a good spacefleet to make planetary invasions just more epic and fun.
  19. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

I'd go for ..

1) Some kind of EMP that disables orbital and air units within range for X seconds, allowing you to punch a temporary hole through to the ground.
    2) A way to drop an army into that temporary hole you've just created. Whether that's a giant transport, a teleporter you can fly to the planet and then drop to the ground, unit cannons, whatever - I don't care, so long as you can send a decent number of units. Remember you could be trying to establish a beachhead on a planet with 1000 bombers and 2000 vanguards!
    3) Anti-orbit units. Vehicles that target only the orbital layer, but are mobile.

The hard part is balancing these to prevent commander-snipes.
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Also: Just done some modding, you can have multi-unit transports right now, with one number change.

But the transports don't know hoe to pick up a full load in one go, so you have to micro it.