orbital arriving pinpoint, possible change?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, September 12, 2014.

?

Change orbital arrival mechanic.

1. make orbital units arrive the midnight of that planet (preferably not stacked but in formation)

42 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. keep it as is, suck it n00bz, I pwn u asses all day lel get rekt

81 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

listen I'm not entirely against that solution all I'm saying is you're not addressing the root of the problem, in this case you're (you @cdrkf and you are) just addressing the SXX snipe exploit.

orbital arriving clipped (no matter the AMOUNT of units) is a big issue for any unit.

I want them to arrive spread out or in formation.

it's the clipping that's an exploit that allows you to deliver more power than you have.

this is particularly true for, say : an extremely well defended set of jigs on a gaz giant. You can have a huge cluster of avengers among them, if a guy sends his avengers right in the middle, he can win the fight even with highly inferior numbers because his avengers occupy the same space and not yours. It's not fair. It's bullshit.
    Last edited: September 16, 2014
  2. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Im gonna wait a few updates and see what uber is going to do, they probably got ideas and stuff to improve orbital combat but there is also some other things they might give priority.
    cdrkf and igncom1 like this.
  3. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Remove orbital warfare, it adds nothing but micro and a clusterfuck of icons to the game. Orbital fighters are asf spamm 2.0 which is a lot worse than in supcom.
    There should be no weapons in space, only orbital radar. Make the space peace agreement reality.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well that's a bit drastic to do now, not that I don't agree.

But if this is what uber want to do with their game, then....well lets find ways to make it work a little better.

Also:

"Make the space peace agreement reality."

This is a terrible argument for galaxy crossing kill bots.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

If that were to happen we'd be forced to never use gas giants.
    corteks likes this.
  6. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Orbital warfare is currently completely brokn. OP explained some of the issues. For noobs the current orbital implementation might be fun, but for more ambitioned gamers its a pain.
  7. squishypon3

Orbital needs more units if anything, we can't just take orbital put as it'd mean not only the removal of orbital, but also of functional gas giants. I'm sorry, but it's too deep, all we can do now is improve upon it with more interesting units and such.

I've been working on a balance mod, Statera, and that's the route were going with. Our reception about everything else was very nice, so I'm pretty certain this is the only real route left.
    corteks likes this.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well, yeah, but that's because of the smaller interaction within orbital and from outside of orbital.

There are 3 anti-orbital units, not including the nuke launcher, and one of the being a static defence, the other being a orbital, static defence.

Like, we need siege for the orbital turret, and some kinda umbrella killer, I feel, or at least something to help with a ground invasion.
    corteks and squishypon3 like this.
  9. tatsujb

this is fixable, no need to temporarily remove orbital.

but at the very least have orbital arrival be split up.
    corteks likes this.
  10. leighzer

leighzer Member

11. tatsujb

: D aaaaaaaaaaaww shucks I wish I had 'dem moderator privileges too.

oh wait, you don't!

thread live ooooooooooooooon!
  12. tatsujb

okay so anything else that would work, I'm open to suggestions.

you guys can't possibly be of the opinion that there's no exploit going on right now and that everything is fine.
    [​IMG]
  13. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Arriving at midnight wouldn't make sense.

But maybe the computer could generate a certain area around where you ordered it, and have it land randomly in that area.
  14. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Your midnight idea isn't a good one imo. All that needs doing maybe is a cooldown of about a second so popping sxx don't cause damage. Alternatively make it so they can't 'keep one in the chamber' when going inter-planetary. Stacking orbital isn't so good either. Whenever a new unit pops in have it as close as possible to the intended location, with minimal/no stacking.
    corteks likes this.
  15. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

uber calls it a feature.
  16. tatsujb

do they now?
  17. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

I don't really have an opinion on this, but I really hate it when arrogant people evoke science to make people feel stupid, especially when they completely fail at the science.

Midnight is not necessarily the literal middle of the night and, using the modern system of telling time, rarely is. The time when it is the middle of the night varies depending on the length of the day, time of the year, and latitude within a time zone. Maybe you missed the part in geography when you learned that the earth is spheroidal and tilted and that timezones span multiple meridians. It simply isn't possible for it to be the middle of the night everywhere within a time zone when it is midnight in that timezone. For example, here on the east coast of the United States, sunset is at 6:59 PM tonight and sunrise is at 6:48 AM tomorrow. This means that the literal middle of the night is just before 1:00 AM. Similarly, the meridian was at 12:54 PM, not at noon. Tomorrow the middle of the night will be at a different time, though technically, in my city, night begins at 8:30 PM and will end at 5:16 AM, but viewed this way the middle is still just before 1:00 AM. 12:52 AM plus a half a minute if I've calculated it right. You'll note there are 3.5 hours of night before midnight, and 5 hours 16 minutes of night after midnight. And this is only true where I live, at a different latitude in my timezone, the figure is different.

The actual SCIENTIFIC word you are looking for is solar midnight, which is actually the middle point of the night or, technically speaking, the time when night is equidistant to dusk and dawn. Though, I guess what you really mean is where the sun is at nadir if you consider the location where the sun is directly overhead to be at zenith. If you really want to be mean to people who don't understand science, try understanding yourself first or else you will betray your arrogant sense of superiority.

Sincerely,

An actual scientist.
    Last edited: September 21, 2014
    Obscillesk, crizmess and xSkitz like this.
  18. squishypon3

Sauce?
  19. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

I don't see why it'd be a problem to just stop SSX from stacking at all, regardless of its travel plans. It doesn't make sense anyway for them to all be literally above each other firing straight down. Problem solved.
  20. tatsujb

Why just SXX, don't you realise this is a problem with avengers too? ...with any unit?
  21. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

The main complaint was about commander sniping I thought, but yeah, why not.