Let's figure out what is wrong with the uber-launcher

Discussion in 'Support!' started by zgrssd, September 15, 2014.

1. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

People have been reporting the uber-launcher not working left and right consistently for a few days.
    At the same time every time I try to completely re-download the game, the download and extraction works without a hitch.
    As long as it cannot be reproduced there is no way for Uber to fix it. So we need to find some correlations between the computers that do bug out, or differences to those that do not.

There are two alternative ways to get the game, but this thread is about figurign out what is wrong with the current Uber launchers download:
    Download via Steam:
    http://www.uberent.com/pa/faq/
    Point 3

Go Launcher:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/alternative-go-launcher-build-for-windows.59287/

How the Uber-launcher seems to work:
    First it downloads a bunch of .bundle files into the chache folder (according to 7-zip just a renamed .gzip file, containing a similary named extension less file of bigger uncompressed size).
    It then unpacks the files into the cache, under a temporary name. The count sugest that those are the actuall files that will later be in the game folders.
    Then it renames/moves the files to the stable or PTE directory, as applicable.
    Then it deletes the cache.

I managed to grab the .bundle files during extraction and copied them to a seperate folder ("c:\saved bundles"), to make some tests on them.
    I have a total of 49 files with a summed size of 979.894.745 Bytes
    I grabbed myself this hashtool (the first I found, I used to have a much better one):
    http://download.cnet.com/Hash-Tool/3000-2248_4-10969531.html
    And generated the hash values (attached due to formatign issues)

My system is Windows 8.1

Anybody else willing to go to such lengths? Especially someone who has the issues?

Attached Files:

2. xkjq

xkjq New Member

Actually it's slightly more complicated than that.

If you look at Pyrus' python port of the go patcher (it's for easier for me to read)

https://github.com/pa-pyrus/papatcher/blob/master/papatcher.py#L323

you can see that the bundle can be of more than one type - in some cases its further compressed.
  3. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

My Monty-speak is a bit rusty, but I figured they only compressed the real payload with gzip for lower transmission size.
    7-zip was able to extract every one of the bundles, except for "8e049947d79ec72b1e3e2296d75bea9d9cc49751.bundle".
  4. harrierx

harrierx Member

The Uber devs responsible for the launcher probably have a much better idea what might be going wrong (especially since several people posted logs and other details) and could ask the right questions to track down the problem.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am genuinely interested that you got this far with this. The problem more likely has to do with people having a missing or different file for DirectX, I hear it uses 9 and 11 library and sometimes the version that comes with newest OS don't have the older libraries. Or possibly a particular error with certain computers.

It still bears merit that you managed to find a manual way to do it. It sounded more difficult than the go launcher, which I made a 8 minute video quick work out of.
  6. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Log's only tell you so much.
    And finding out wich user can give you data like the hash values of the files is hard. I hope we got anybody with the problem, the skill and the interest to do it.

Errors are never truly unique. At least not ones that are as common as the launcher trouble. Checking if the files download properly is a first simple step.

The launcher is using the CoherentUI of the game for display. It could be a decompression unrelated issue colliding with a too wide error catching.

Could also be stuff like the launcher using .NET framework for his decompression and an older version having a bug in those decompresssion algorythms (my .NET Framework is up to date, since I sometimes programm in C#).
  7. xkjq

xkjq New Member

So now having actually read the code I can explain that - the majority of the bundles are gzip compressed, others aren't (presumably the binaries that won't benefit from it).
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

cool.

there was an old network code that prevented you from joining any second game without restart pa.

I tried troubleshooting it as "capture packets of bugged user, compare to packets of user without issue".

that's probably what we need to do, find any two similar systems and installs, one having the trouble, and go throught all dependencies like .net, DirectX, and such.
  9. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

I, for one, would greatly appreciate any progress on this front... I haven't been able to reinstall since I reformatted my computer, and have been manually downloading drivers and looking for solutions everywhere to no avail. It's terribly frustrating!
  10. JWest

JWest Active Member

Also, while I continue to struggle to get a steam key, I still sit through this every game:

Checking manifest...

Checking manifest...

Checking manifest...
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Make a shortcut to PA.exe directly and start that. Use the launcher only to patch the game, that is the only thing it is good for anyway.
  12. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

We won't get anywhere if nobody with the unpacking issue is willing to grab those bundle-files and get hash values for them.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

zgrssd likes this.