orbital arriving pinpoint, possible change?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, September 12, 2014.

?

Change orbital arrival mechanic.

1. make orbital units arrive the midnight of that planet (preferably not stacked but in formation)

42 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. keep it as is, suck it n00bz, I pwn u asses all day lel get rekt

81 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

still debatable.
  2. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Are you sure?
  3. tatsujb

Last edited: September 15, 2014
  4. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

5. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Also sry for double post why did you link my account page? What does that has to do with wetjer this is still debatable? Also it might be debatable.
  6. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Guess we are debating wether it is debatable or not, so...
    sry for TRIPLE POST
  7. tatsujb

sorry wrong link fixed it. was the one just above my post anyways.
  8. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Ever thought that the units could arrive higher up in orbit than the orbital layer, giving them space and time to climb down to the orbital layer where they want to enter it?
  9. soundman

soundman New Member

I think there should be some sort of animation like the spawn in animation for orbital when they enter a new oribital layer or a small delay for aesthetics sake and gameplay.
  10. tatsujb

what do you think about orbital units existing neither in solar system map nor planet's orbital layr while they trasit from midnight point to the move command location?

isn't op that they can't be targeted at that point?
  11. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

What the hell is a midnight point? Midnight is a time of day, not a location.
  12. tatsujb

Last edited: September 15, 2014
  13. japporo

japporo Active Member

I'd think that a better solution is that orbital units like the SXX & orbital radars are required to be transported by an Astraeus and deployed before they become operational.

It makes no sense for anything other than the Astraeus and the orbital fighter to have interplanetary engines.
  14. tatsujb

that wouldn't really provide a solution. i don't know how it would pan out in your idea but either you still get comsipes or comsipes with SXX become impossible.

we don't want either of those, we want a gorundwork for being able to tweak balance on that aspect in the first place at all.

and I think this requires units arriving spread out.
  15. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

I'm rather impressed with the quality of animated pictures here :). It's fantastic!
  16. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think there is an issue that orbital (especially the SXX) just appears where you want it.

I don't think making the 'landing' point for orbital fixed is a good idea, all that is needed is a *short* transition phase where the orbital units are vulnerable. It doesn't need to be long, however if your commander is under a hoard of avengers + anchors + umbrellas then he *should be safe* from an SXX snipe. The key is that the person wanting to do the sniping should at the very least have to clear out an area of the orbital layer first. I could be persuaded to have it such that the SXX can fire *before umbrellas* but *not before orbital based defences* as otherwise porcing up with land based guns would be pretty much unbreakable.
    Raevn and corteks like this.
  17. frankablu

frankablu Member

Wouldn't it be easier for orbital units to have a 5 second cool down on arrival?
    That would solve all the problems here and be easy to implement.
    cdrkf likes this.
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

This. A much better solution than some arbitrary moving entrance point that you can't accurately predict due to travel time etc. It's not the ability to enter orbit anywhere that is OP. It's the ability for SSX's to have a guaranteed shot that is.
  19. tatsujb

See that's the clunky approach that stores balance in a drawer and hopes to be able to forget about it's existence that way. it's not satisfactory and even thought it'll fix the exploit, people will keep coming back to this topic because of how clunky and contrasting it'll feel to the rest of the game.
  20. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

How is that clunky and contrasting to the rest of the game? You simply have a charge time on the umbrellas that is slightly longer than the charge time for the SSX's (or another method is to slow down the projectile speed of umbrellas so they won't reach the SSX's before they fire). Avengers have no charge time, so they'll automatically fire first. It's functionally the same as how artillery works. You know you can get a few shots in before the artillery shells land.
    corteks, masterevar and cdrkf like this.