Awesome Job on the Random System Generator

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, September 14, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've been attempting to get back into actually playing. So I've been playing around with the AI in a variety of setups.

I must say, the random system generator is pretty impressive. It doesn't just create random planets, it actually puts them together in interesting ways.

I just played a system where 4 smashable planets with spawns orbit a larger planet with a ton of metal. I've played a variety of other systems that create interesting scenarios like that.

It's pretty awesome.
    spittoon, Remy561, drz1 and 4 others like this.
  2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Oh indeed, the systems are cool, like that PAX one is now legendary...but the planets need work
  3. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Who worked on the PAstats maps? i recently played on one with two moons trailing each other which slowly started colliding at snail pace after 10 minutes, that one was very nice.
    spittoon likes this.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Not news to me. In GW, not only have planets been generated in interesting configurations, but even better, they have been given signature gamemode types. My first 5 release build GW matches:

1st was 3 planets with 1 inner asteroid, scarce metal but halleyable. All but asteroid was spawn planets.

2nd was 3 planets with 1 really distant asteroid, scarce metal but halleyable. By distant, literally a 4 minute orbital travel time.

3rd was a gas giant with 3 planetoid moons, a gas giant subsystem if you will.

4th was 3 planets, with only a single metal point per spawn and no other metal otherwise. Basically, really scarce spawnwars. That was actually pretty rough for a GW scenario.

5th was a single planet with a rather large radius.

That alone is an impressive variety.
    spittoon and pieman2906 like this.
  5. mishtakashi

mishtakashi Active Member

Many of the maps currently in the PA Stats pool were created by Elodea for the 1v1 Grand Cheddar cup tourney that he hosted a week ago or so. That's one of his systems.
    spittoon and pieman2906 like this.
  6. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

You. You!!!

I know have an excellent idea >: D
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

note that the systems you refer to may not be random system but uber-selected systems. they are mixed in there.
    Last edited: September 15, 2014
    spittoon likes this.
  8. hohopo

hohopo Member

I assume they have templates that are then randomly generate
  9. Prezombie

Prezombie New Member

It's awesomely varied, but it would be nice to be able to lock in a few parameters and let the generator work within those definitions.

Also, I just had a randomly generated 5 planet 5 man FFA, which was beautifully balanced, all on the same orbit. It would have been an amazing match, except for the fact that one of the planets was orbiting in the wrong direction and the collision consumed four players who failed to notice that tiny problem until it was far to late to push orbital.
  10. raphamart

raphamart Member

Random generator is ok for now, but i think it needs some tweaks and give us more options in the future.