Proportional Smashing

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by vorell255, September 14, 2014.

1. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

@sorian @metabolical Can anyone explain how this is calculated? I have had some proportional smashes. I have seen a large smash into a small and the large survive and the small obliterated. I have seen a small smash into a large leaving a crater, and I have seen two relatively similar in size cancel each other out. After playing around with it now I'm a bit confused. Is there some tolerance or how does it calculate what should happen?

For instance I tried smashing 400 radius, 10000 mass, planet into a 200 radius 5000 mass moon and they both died. I thought that the large would survive.

If anyone has experimented to shed light on this or if the devs would be willing to comment I would much appreciate it.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think the *smashing* planet is always destroyed regardless, and that damage done to the smashee is based on radius (mass is only required to calculate orbit distances I think).
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Naturally smashed planets always mutual annihilate.

Otherwise I think if the size difference between the planets is greater than 50% then the larger planet survives.
  4. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

Have you test this? I don't want speculation. Smashed planets do not always mutually annihilate. I think what @cdrkf is saying is close to being correct.
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

No if the smashing planet is bigger enough than the target it will replace the target.
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

Have you tested this since release? If so what were the two radius sizes of the planets in the test?
  7. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

I've got a map with multiple different sized moons, around each other, moon around moon around moon... Every new moon is half the radius of the one it is orbiting. It think i smashed a 400 radius into a 200 radius, and the 400 radius moon replaced the 200 radius.
  8. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

I just did the testing, sent a 1000 radius moon onto a 200 radius moon, and then to a 400 radius moon, the big one survived, it was like a huge baseball bat hitting planet after planet lol
  9. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

ok so why does a radius 400 planet into a 200 radius planet destroy both? I wonder what the difference in radius has to be before one survives?
  10. stuart98

11. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

Stuart are you suggesting that a radius 401 would survive against a 200? I'd like to know for certain that this is the calculation used.
  12. stuart98

Yes.

I could and probably am wrong, but this is my best guess.
  13. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Remember that generally, the crater will always be the same size in every case. The size of the smashing planet dictates how much damage is done to actual units and structures.
  14. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

This isn't correct. The size of the crater is dictated by the size of the planet that was destroyed...Unless both are destroyed.
    bengeocth likes this.
  15. xSkitz

xSkitz Member

I've got a system based on incidental smashes if you want to see different size craters/planets ripped in half.
  16. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I have seen it, I'm asking basically what is the difference in radius that dictates if they both die, or one survives.
  17. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

After testing this isn't correct. The smashing or the one that is smashed has nothing to do with which dies.
    cdrkf likes this.
  18. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

That's not true, I have one small asteroid size planet hitting another much bigger planet naturally (just happens at some point without halleys) and it just leaves a small crater
  19. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

Last edited: September 15, 2014
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. xSkitz

xSkitz Member

These numbers are so inconsistent this is annoying.