40+ Planet Systems, we will ever have access to such scale?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by komandorcliff, September 14, 2014.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

gas giants, smashable planets and deathstars already have their stategic value ... simply put in a number of starting planets with limited recources that makes the system a expand to game ... its all a matter of the mix ... one more reason i want to be able to set an exact number of mexxes per planet ...
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

How'd you get the terrain surface area ? is that a mod or just photoshop on?

If it's a mod I want that mod.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Depending on planet size. The radius is not the area. So a size 1000 is four times bigger than a size 500. Which is four times bigger than a size 250. Which is four times bigger than a size 125. So you could have a loooot of planets, I'm too lazy to do the math atm.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It's a mod, on PAMM, something like "estimate area" idk.
  5. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Surface Area
    tatsujb and bradaz85 like this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

holy ****, awesome, Uber should be using this mod for the hard limit they set

EDIT : wow i'd actually seen it before, just never tried it, and I forgot about it.

good work @wondible!
    bradaz85 likes this.
  7. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

It is released
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I think his point was that we used to be waiting for release for performance, bug fixes, and server access. And release is here, but we don't have that.
  9. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

That's true for a flat surface. But on a sphere you have to apply a different formula.

A = 4*π*r*r

Where π = pi, and r = radius.

:p
  10. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I'd actually love a mode in the system creator where we can set all the planets to no metal, then manually plop down metal points where we want, and also set up available spawn areas as an option, that way we can make tournament maps for 1v1 easier, and make interesting scenarios.

another feature i'd love to see eventually is some way to restrict players to all spawning on different planets to each other. there are some great systems with interesting set ups that often don't see much use thanks to people spawning together on a starting planet and duking it out only on that one world. it'd also be another way to have balanced tournament play, since you can make several identical planets for the spawn planets, so everyone is in effect getting an identical spawn. Then the real battle can happen among the other planets.
    blocky22 likes this.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

simply systemeditor with more detailed planet/mapeditor ...
    blocky22 likes this.
  12. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

if A = 4*π*r*r
    and A2 = 4*π*2r*2r

then, where (c = 4*π)
    A = c*r*r
    A2 = c*2r*2r

A = c*r^2
    A2 = c*(2r)^2
    = c*4(r^2)
    = 4(c*r^2)

so
    (A2)/4 = c*r^2
    as A = c*r^2 = (A2)/4
    (A2)/4 = A
    A2 = 4A

so area is proportional to r^2
    meaning: double radius = quadruple area.

So while the equation is more complex, the ratios are identical for changing Length vs Area vs Volume.
    2*Length = 4*Area = 8*Volume
    n*Length = n^2* Area = n^3*Volume

Note: This is only applicable to shapes that have identical lengths in all dimensions (line, square, circle, cube, sphere)

This message brought to you by Pedants Anonymous. Correcting everyone since the dawn of humanity; just because we can.
    Last edited: September 15, 2014
  13. cmdrfirezone38

cmdrfirezone38 Member

True true. Sometimes spectating is just as fun as playing because your not sure what is going to happen. Do you have a steam name, maybe we can play sometime, you will probably destroy me. lol