OathAlliance's official PA Review

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by OathAlliance, September 14, 2014.

1. drschuess

drschuess Member

@icycalm : Do you seriously believe that PA deserves a 10/10, which according to how people rate things everywhere is equivalent to a "perfect" game? I really enjoy PA. It's absolutely my favorite RTS, but I would never give it a perfect, because it is simply not perfect. If the game was perfect, there is nothing that Uber could improve upon and Uber as a company should absolutely move on to their next IP. However, there are still many mechanics that could be refined or improved. Uber has even admitted as such. Galactic War is still a first pass, the UI notifications could use another overhaul, and orbital play still leaves something to be desired. There's room for growth. In conclusion, you don't give 10/10s for a grand or innovative idea...you give them out for a perfect execution of that idea...and PA is not currently at that level. The thing that makes Uber great as a company is that they are going to continue developing this game and work towards that "perfect" execution. Being a fanboy and giving out an undeserved 10/10 while talking down well thought out reviews is just as harmful to the game as the naysayers giving PA a 0/10.
    TheLambaster and OathAlliance like this.
  2. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

2/10 this post
  3. japporo

japporo Active Member

Seems like a reasonable opinion. The only thing that I would say is not accurate is the "Failings" section, since most of the things you list there aren't intrinsic to the game itself but are simply things that have not been delivered. I would suggest renaming the section to "Promised features" and moving the mention of bugs to the gameplay section.
  4. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

There's no such thing as perfect. Perfection is a misunderstanding. Here is an article of mine that discusses it:

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/how_good_exactly_is_perfect/

I don't want to quote the relevant passages in here, because that might get me moderated or banned (lots of cussing, etc.), but whoever wants to understand that 10/10 doesn't mean perfect should read it.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I'd give it the same, with room for improvement I would give it a 8/10 with servers and savegames, and 9/10 with some other small structural improvements like ladders or internal mod database and manager.

I would give it a 7 while most give it a 6, and I like that he did as well. That isn't just personal like of it. It is realistically the fact the game is very good to play even now. I would give it a 6/10 because it works if it didn't have mods, but with mods I feel it deserves 7.
  6. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

I am not being antagonistic, in the sense that you mean, as in deliberately offensive, etc. I am being antagonistic because my opinion is opposed to your opinion. I strongly believe that your opinion is crap. And I am expressing this belief in your thread about your review, and trying to justify it. There's no enmity involved. Here, have some smilies if you don't believe me :) :) etc.

Anyway, I said my piece so I'll leave you in peace now.
  7. felipec

felipec Active Member

I just hope the reviews are going to be revised after the missing features are in place!
    squishypon3 and icycalm like this.
  8. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I plan on doing it with mine.
    squishypon3 and websterx01 like this.
  9. felipec

felipec Active Member

Great! =)
    squishypon3 likes this.