Annihilated, all progress lost??

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by paulied77, September 12, 2014.

1. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

I would prefere when you lost that battle, you would loose a random tech (+1 per difficulty so loose 4 techs on absurd teehee) so that you could try a different system...because every now and then everyone gets into a situation where they accidentally chose a water planet...with no navy or real orbital tech.....it happens, and the game should abuse you (again...teehee) but not just loose the entire GW because of it

Also Alt-F4 to retry is lame...implement a new loss system and then force a direct save, so if a player alt-F4s right when their comm is about to get horribly murdered, it will save that point, so when they come back in, they will start at that location of their comms getting destroyed (teehee) UNFORTUNATELY: Uber doesnt have a system like that in...yes....no saving in the middle of battles.....ya......every RTS has that except Uber lol
  2. japporo

japporo Active Member

May I suggest a temporary measure of just having a simple "restart match" button for GW matches? That would probably go a goodly ways toward reducing complaints until a save/reload system can be implemented.
  3. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

It would actually be a lot more fun and interesting that if you lost, then you would just lose a planet.

Kinda like how in Red Alert or was it C&C i no one of the games there was other battles going on while you were fighting, and you would see areas taken and lost after you won a game.

That would add to making the galactic war for dynamic, so that the AI can actually fight back. So you have as many lives as you have planets so to speak.
  4. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I think it's absurd that there's no option for an autosave.
    I'd never use it personally, if I ever played galactic war that is, but honestly there's not reason for it NOT to be in there, and Uber could very easily make it optional so players who want to play 'hardcore' mode can.

And don't pull that absurd 'ooh things were much better in the old days, we walked uphill in the snow to our nintendo 64s BOTH ways and we appreciated it' card, I can't think of a single RTS from the 90s that didn't have a single player save option.
    eukanuba and cdrkf like this.
  5. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

If you find yourself losing just quit PA and you will be able to try again. I think we should have an option for Hardcore(one defeat) and Casual(if you die just load it up again.)
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. welshenzie

welshenzie Member

Just alt f4 before it goes to the end screen, that allows you to reload the game at the planet you failed on....... even though that kind defeats the whole point of it being victory or death....
  7. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

well it kinda does its just made unplayable when you die
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Same reason there's no save option in FTL possibly?

I mean I agree there should be a save feature, but just being nitpicky.
  9. japporo

japporo Active Member

I must point out that nobody expects an RTS to have perma-death nor is the player warned* that GW has perma-death. For FTL and the other roguelikes, the perma-death aspect is an advertised feature that customers are actively seeking out.

* It doesn't matter if it's mentioned in the instructions because no one ever reads the instructions. It's almost a fundamental law of physics.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It says it in the description for GW at the start war or choose saved war screen. Also, in the GW startup video.

"Annihilation is final."
  11. japporo

japporo Active Member

As I pointed out, it's unlikely anyone read the description. And "Annihilation is final" is rather vague as to whether it's metaphorical (i.e. part of the lore) or literal.
  12. maskedcrash

maskedcrash Active Member

Here's my 2 cents.
    Galactic war is kinda broken for multiple reasons.
    1. Who ever heard of a rougelike Rts? Most rougelikes tend to be short (comparatively) with playthroughs being approx 30 minutes to 2 hours. The problem is, it just doesn't WORK as a rougelike. Assuming I don't find the enemy commander quickly, a game can last up to ten minutes at best, 20-ish+ minutes if it all goes to hell. Now multiply the 30-ish times. Yeah. Kind of a lot to grind through all over again in case of a failure.
    2. Offline is more important that you would think. Sometimes the lag can get really weird. On the boss level with 4 planets with 4 foes each with halley only required for the chaos dunk, Making sure that you're ready for a slam is important. So I have my commander park his robotic rear near an active portal. I can't invade enemy planets to take out halleys, because they've A.tanked up B.Have massive air fleets that move to intercept at the first sign of a portal C. I cleared out every star system except for the bosses, and not one orbital tech. So, I am building my army for another invasion, and "Commander Core Overheating critical". Blam you lose! After three seconds, a crater appeared where my main base was, and a second later- "Celestial Activity Detected". Thanks, lag.
    bradaz85 and cdrkf like this.
  13. thetrophysystem

I agree with both these points. Offline will be a boss. Ask for roguelike, I decided I don't like playing it like that either. Really, I am grateful they didn't make it any harder to bypass. I just wish they had a toggle, one that doesn't apply "lose" to your game when you lost so it just kept the save as an in progress of before the match happened (leave losses unrecorded), and one that made annihlation final. They could apply that "annihilation is final" line to the toggle. Hardcore: "Annihilation is final". Softcore: "Annihilation at all costs".
  14. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I am now going to make a completely pointless boast, but one that I am nonetheless very proud of. I beat the four-episode, Ultimate version of Doom on Ultraviolence difficulty setting, and it felt damn good.

I am sad to say that I only managed to beat Doom 2 on Hurt Me Plenty, I think on Ultraviolence I was defeated by level 15. :(

Of course, anyone who can't play through both Doom and Doom 2 on Nightmare difficulty in one sitting without saves is a noob and a scrub and should GTFO. ;)
    cdrkf likes this.
  15. Kriegson

Kriegson Member

I don't mind it being roguelike as long as there's some incentive to start all over again, IE hopefully not from scratch.
    Yet to complete a play through (one way or the other) but I hope the "archived wars" gives a really cool feel for the wars past, not just replays of all the battles...though I imagine that's what it will end up being.
  16. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm a total noob at FPS, that's all I'm going to say :p
  17. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Put simply, FTL is advertised as a rogue-like type game, people buy it with that expectation. PA is advertised first as an RTS, a genre everyone associates with saveable single player games, and is also well known as a spiritual successor to TA and supcom, both games with single player saves.
    japporo and cdrkf like this.
  18. portable

portable Active Member

GW is not even a good way to learn how to play. Use AI skirmish matches for that. Your human opponents won't have crippling tech constraints that you have in GW.
  19. thetrophysystem

it isn't a great way to learn, but perhaps get better once you know the game build.

also, it is neither advertised as a roguelike or explicitly not one. If Minecraft didn't advertise you respawn in a bed, would you expect to restart at last save with all items?
  20. portable

portable Active Member

I'm not saying it's bad. I like GW as-is, but it's not a tutorial.