[WIP] Specializing Submarine Detection

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by thetrophysystem, December 21, 2015.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I would like to make/include/suggest a mod to limit "underwater" and "seafloor" a separate vision and make only dedicated units able to see them (at most give non-optimal units a reduced range).

Basically, "artillery" ships that dominate land via shoreline will either not have torpedos or have them but no/limited vision to use them in. Ships that are support may have longer vision to mark subs for larger ships. Subs can see other subs. T2 subs may have a way to hit land, making detecting them necessary. Radar and Orbital won't see underwater anymore. Maybe Sonar for that job. Would be a plus if anything that entered the "seafloor" layer followed the "underwater" layer of vision so commanders can follow suit.

Everything is in the game to do this, barring 2 things I wanted to ask about.

1) This mod will have lots of units, that change nothing but their "vision" fields. Wish there was a way to prevent this from stepping on the toes of all but vanilla.
    2) I seem to be rusty, but is there a way to specify unit vision layers? There are landmines, so I distinctly remember so, but then there are units that change layers so...
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Recon has observable and observer. I recall observer was updated in every unit when sub were added. Observable isn't used much, but there is a "layer" field that appears sometimes; the nuclear_sub (now stealth sub) has "underwater". Units that change layers could get messy though.
  3. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

In elodea's battleship mod I seem to recall that you needed a special building (sonar) to detect subs. If your struggling maybe you could take a look at the mod or ask him for help.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Well like the thread says, it isn't so much "how do I make observable", again, the landmine has all the fields I would need to use.

Idk if it was ever found how to get "seafloor" amphibious units to transition between layers of vision.

Or how to change vision layer of a unit, without overlapping other mods that even touch a unit.