Orbital Mechanics

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tpapp157, August 18, 2012.

1. tpapp157

tpapp157 New Member

I'm an engineer that's worked on a variety of space projects. How accurately do you intend to implement orbital mechanics? The equations and algorithms for basic planetary maneuvers (orbit change, rendezvous, etc) are really quite simple. Are you interested in that sort of thing or are you just aiming for something that looks nice?
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

It's not going to be super accurate, it'll be what works well for gameplay.
  3. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

4. tpapp157

tpapp157 New Member

I see you mentioned deltaV in another of your posts which is very encouraging. You must have at least done some research into the subject to even know what that is. DeltaV is the basic first order solution of all orbital maneuvers and you should be able to do the vast majority of what you want to do if you have a good grasp of it and the rocket equation.

If at some point you're interested in going a little further, just let me know.
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Just as an FYI I'm a space nut.
  6. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

Oh woow! That sounds great. At one point I was actually quite worried that the space interface in this game would simply be a flat, static interface only meant for transitioning between planets, so this is great news for me! Is it going to be fully 3d then?
  7. tpapp157

tpapp157 New Member

That's what I like to hear. :D

I've written a bunch of code finding thrust solutions for a variety of different orbital maneuvers. Lambert solvers, low thrust, complex gravity fields, etc. If you need algorithms, I've got them.