Leap Motion

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by RCIX, March 7, 2013.

1. RCIX

RCIX Member

I'm going to be very reserved about its potential but:

https://www.leapmotion.com/

From watching devkit videos it seems pleasantly precise and taskable to many different applications. Got one preordered up. Anyone interested in applying it to PA or other games?
  2. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I remain as skeptical of this as I do of the Emotive controller.

If anybody has any luck with either of them though I'd buy em in a heartbeat though.
  3. RCIX

RCIX Member

4. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

It's just a tiny Kinect for your fingers. I'd rather have an actual touchscreen. It does nothing that a touchscreen doesn't do.
  5. arseface

You can afford a 40 inch touchscreen?

And it detects 3 dimensions. Both Kinect and touchscreens work with two dimensions.

I'm still skeptical of how precise it actually is, and what might interfere with it. Also it does seem to only perform the functions of a touchscreen in practice thus far.

It also seems a bit... too small is you get what I'm saying. The range of motion the people in the videos are using is really tiny.
  6. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

No. I can't afford a mini Kinect either. They're both useless on a PC anyway.
  7. RCIX

RCIX Member

Notable facts:
    * It can track writing implements too
    * It does *NOT* have to be mounted below monitor, it can be placed above/to the side/over somewhere else/whatever makes sense for your setup
    * You can link multiple ones together if you want to increase its "field of vision"
    * Has about 8 cubic feet worth of interaction volume
    * Spatial precision is to 0.01 MM (https://forums.leapmotion.com/showthrea ... l-Leap-FAQ)

Again, I'm reserving judgement but I do hope it will be able to do what I think it can.

Did you see the video list? There's Quake, Doom, X-Plane, a Quadrotor in real life controlled by it, Borderlands, ...

Not a ton of game-relevant stuff but it looks quite interesting and usable. Also, the range of motion mostly seems to be a matter of choice on the developers part, they've listed that it's usable up to 3 feet away from the sensor.
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Kinect does work in 3 dimensions.

I have one on my computer, and I've used depth data for hilarious face-controlled mouse movements.

Leap is literally a tiny, hi-res Kinect.
  9. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

There's a reason I said it.
  10. RCIX

RCIX Member

And the big thing preventing Kinect from being usable is A: tracking ability, and B: the data in order to make that tracking ability. Which this seems to have provided both of...

I hope, anyway.
  11. BulletMagnet

For those with that like the idea of a Kinect or a Leap, but are soooo lazy that raising your damn hands is too much effort, I present to you;

I've been trying to build something like this for myself for years (literally, my entire time in undergraduate university I had this as a side-project that I'd [unsuccessfully] experiment with). Then I bought a Kinect. Now I'm buying this, and Imma kick your arses at FPS now.
  12. arseface

DOOOOOOOD.

I feel like I'm gonna end up getting all this junk and only use it for a week. But it'll be worth it because for like a week I'll be able to pretend I'm in a sci-fi movie.
  13. BulletMagnet

That's basically why I'm not buying a Leap. As cool as it is, I don't think I'd use it.

I use my Kinect, because it's got a fantastic mic. array on it.

Hmmz. Just had a thought; is it possible to hang the Leap upside down and use it to track of a pen while drawing? I'm forever drawing or jotting down calculations that I'd love to keep on the computer.
  14. arseface

The technology is apparently there, they're just working on getting the "table mode" software finished.
  15. bilb0k3t

bilb0k3t New Member

I am definitely on the side of rcix, I think a combo leap motion + mouse would make total sense for this game.

I already dream of following sequence:
    1. select units with mouse
    2. rotate planet with a flick of the wrist with leap motion
    3. launch attack!!
    all that in less than 2 seconds!! :cool:

Any way, I will follow this thread very closely, I hope more people will be interested by the idea :)
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

About two years ago, I was consulting with a small Israeli tech firm called "Omek Interactive", and one of our areas of focus was near field spatial recognition. Most of the cameras you see in kinect and such are calibrated for 1 to 5 meters. It's easy enough to calibrate for the 1 meter range, but it means a different camera. The Leap Motion is probably the right way to do it. We were looking at this in the offices here a few months ago, and it's a cool way to handle it. I still have doubts on how applicable it would be day to day yet, but things like this, combined with Oculus Rift, and the new stuff that Jeri and Rick are doing (http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/18/43433 ... ck-johnson) will lead to some pretty remarkable interaction methods in the coming years.

Today, it's just a cool tech demo, but I can easily see in a year or two this becoming a day to day reality on how to play games or interact.

I'm still waiting for the OASIS in Ready Player One, personally. ;)
  17. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

18. nehallenia

nehallenia Member

I pre ordered a leapmotion back in 2012. It's going to be delivered next month, cant wait :shock:

I dont know whether I'll actually tro and use it for gaming. I was more tempted by it's application for 3d modeling (Zbrush) and drawing (Corel painter, photoshop).