Black Screen with video, then "mint" error

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by majorlunac, March 21, 2016.

1. majorlunac

majorlunac New Member

After starting Planetary Annihilation on Steam, the game runs, changing the cursor, even playing sound and accepting interaction (Hear video? -> Esc -> Menu?), but I see only black. When I try to run it again, I get an error saying some sort of error occurred and to report it using the code "mint".

*I use Oibaf's Mesa PPA and have both of the following installed:
    libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0
    libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:i386

*Error logs:
    sendspace.com/filegroup/iDTxtQati5Kpgrz9EEc9WzvI5AX8SDnaAovr08s%2BWhQ

*System Information:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System: Host: lunac Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
    Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
    Machine: Mobo: Gigabyte model: H87M-D3H v: x.x Bios: American Megatrends v: F10 date: 07/16/2014
    CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4670 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
    flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27138
    clock speeds: max: 3800 MHz 1: 3778 MHz 2: 3783 MHz 3: 3794 MHz 4: 3799 MHz
    Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
    Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
    GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop
    GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0-devel (git-9f2e22b 2016-02-05 trusty-oibaf-ppa) Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
    driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
    Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
    driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
    Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
    IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Drives: HDD Total Size: 1020.2GB (92.6% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB
    ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST920217AS size: 20.0GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 19G used: 12G (61%) fs: jfs dev: /dev/sdb1
    ID-2: /home size: 932G used: 869G (94%) fs: jfs dev: /dev/sda2
    RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
    Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
    Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info: Processes: 205 Uptime: 2:28 Memory: 1859.6/7862.0MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
    Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It doesn't seem to like the graphics driver much. Some of these logs complain about the GPU process crashing. Would it be possible for you to purge the Oibaf PPA and see if that helps? I ask because in the PPA description, it says:
    Seeing that regular Ubuntu is now on 14.04.4, I image Mint 17.3 is based off 14.04.2 or later. So I am just wondering if that is the problem.
  3. majorlunac

majorlunac New Member

I think maybe oibaf just neglected to update the numbers on the first post and the ppa itself? I do see mentions of higher versions, and it wouldn't make sense to be stuck in older versions:
    phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/opengl-vulkan-mesa-gallium3d/24959-updated-and-optimized-ubuntu-free-graphics-drivers/page161?50038-Updated-and-Optimized-Ubuntu-Free-Graphics-Drivers=

Either way, I don't know how I can determine which "mini-version" Mint is using, as I can't find anything with any extra numbers after 14.04, but I know for sure "Mint 17.x is based on ubuntu 14.04".

It's recommended by the Linux guide itself to have oibaf's PPA installed:
    steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/810938082193900075/#c558749825083990579

Really, I was trying to get another game working some months back, and really made a mess out of Mesa and its dependencies. Luckily I knew how to at least get xorg working properly again thanks to having tried repeatedly to compile a new version of Mesa and all its dependencies on Slackware (switched in Jan due to stagnation). I kept asking about how to get at least what I had to start with from the Mint disk, but no one really had a good answer. So I gave up and applied oibaf's PPA, and it works, allowing many games to work. So, I'm very reluctant to mess with Mesa again, unless you know exactly what I need to install, without it removing half my system or breaking/failing to work.
  4. DeathByDenim

Yeah, understandable. Mesa stuff is tricky. And I don't know exactly what you would need to install. I was only going of the read-me supplied by oibaf as a possible cause as they recommend 15.10 apparently. But yeah, I like how the PPA refers to the phoronix post for the latest news and the phoronix post refers back to the PPA for that. :)

By the way, did you try running PA with --software-ui already? That will disable the hardware acceleration for the GUI (but not the game itself). That may help.
  5. majorlunac

majorlunac New Member

Using --software-ui now, it does now show the splash screen, and then loads the bottom toolbar (friends, notifications, time) but the rest is still black, and no interaction with any of it. I even turned steam overlay off, tried to force fullscreen off (window_settings.json, but reverts), but those don't help. I do think the error message changed:

sendspace.com/filegroup/mvaxF5WuCTdSBUdBn6%2BnJg
  6. DeathByDenim

Hmm, that's a bit better at least. And yeah, no more GPU crashes or "mint" errors in the logs.
    Does <Alt>+<Enter> switch between full screen/windowed for you? I think that's the default short cut.
  7. majorlunac

majorlunac New Member

No, but <Alt>+<F11> does, and it fixes almost everything! Well, I mean if there are any black screens, I just toggle it via <Alt>+<F11> and usually fixes. Otherwise, I can play fine so far. Thanks a ton! :)
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. DeathByDenim

Great! :)

The black screen is a known side-effect of using --software-ui, though it usually only occurs after a battle. Really weird that it already happens to you upon entering the main menu. But oh well, whatever works. :)
  9. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Recently --software-ui stopped working for me after mesa 11.2 update on Arch-Linux. Now on radeon open source drivers with OGL 4.1 support. Don't know what about xorg or mesa updates caused software-ui to stop working, hardware ui works but is unstable, Have always had trouble with coherent ui even with Catalyst drivers.
  10. DeathByDenim

So you get a "mint" error now? Can you upload a PA log?
  11. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Now crashes without much info with latest Arch Linux updates.

Attached Files:

12. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Here is the missing log data

[22:00:33.070] INFO Starting async parallel for driver with 3 threads
    libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
    libGL error: driver pointer missing
    libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
    libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
    X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 155 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
    Value in failed request: 0x0
    Serial number of failed request: 101
    Current serial number in output stream: 102
  13. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Wonder if it doesn't like new gcc or glibc libs
  14. DeathByDenim

Yeah, I think I have seen that before with the radeonsi drivers. The steam-runtime libraries are too old for those and are indeed missing the latest glibc stuff. So you need to rename "steam-runtime" to "steam-runtime.bak" to force PA to use the system libraries instead. You most likely will get an error about libudev.so.0 missing, resulting in a black screen. To fix that, create a symlink from libudev.so.1 to libudev.so.0. For Arch, I think it's in /usr/lib64?