PA Modding Reference Guides, Applications & Tools

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Raevn, June 16, 2013.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

NOTE: some of the following is very old, not updated and / or potentially out of date. Check Recommended at the end of this post for latest information.

Below is a list of reference guides and resources for modding Planetary Annihilation. Please post any additional tools, utilities or references in this thread and I will include them here.

Reference Guides

General Guides
    • PA Modding Changes - A summary of changes introduced in PA builds that affect modders
    • Unit Composition - A quick rundown of all components/files that make up a Planetary Annihilation Unit. A good place to start.
    • Hardcoded paths & files - A list of resources and paths that are currently hardcoded into the games' executable file.

Blueprint Guides

Model, Texture & Audio Guides

User Interface Guides

Applications
    • Blender - Free 3D Modelling tool. You will need the Blender Importer/Exporter (see tools, below)
    • Paint.NET - Free advanced version of paint, good for editing PNG files with transparancy
    • FMOD Designer - Free tool for viewing & creating FMOD sound banks and event lists

Tools
    Recommended (NEW)
    Last edited by a moderator: November 12, 2020
    humaniod1, Anonemous2, Quitch and 8 others like this.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

stuart98 likes this.
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Re: PA Modding Reference Guides, Tools & Utilities

<reserved>
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. doctorfiet

doctorfiet Member

Hello,
    I think information about "mousetrap" - the library used to capture mouse and keyboard events, would be usefull too. I digged into several mods and none used mousetrap functions but implemented their own keymapper - system...

http://craig.is/killing/mice

Btw: These keyboard - bindings listed there could also be used in the settings section in pa. I think that especially the functionality to have input sequences is _very_ usefull. One could realize some sort of "build menues" with this - without even modding something, only by binding sequences to build commands...
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Mousetrap was not part of PA since the start of early alpha, I think that is why so far nobody used it.
    However I'll check it out when I rewrite hotbuild some time. :D
  6. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Is there a PAPA import/export for 3DS Max?
    Blender is doing my head in .. lol <--- free yes, awesome NO .. lol

If there is I'll go back to modeling in Maya 3D and export to 3DS Max for final touch-ups and texturing, then export that to PAPA.
    tristanlorius likes this.
  7. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

8. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Im waiting on news for that to. I use 3ds max as well, an Im dying to get my hands on the textures and Models of the commanders and start up my own.
    tristanlorius likes this.
  9. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

metabolical showing coherent debugger

@ 40 min
  10. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

11. wondible

wondible Post Master General

12. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Why don't we create a repo in the PA mods org for that? That way we all can edit it and work together to make some helpful docs. Great idea though! I also added you to the org so you can create it yourself and push mod commits directly to the repo.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

LavaSnake likes this.
  14. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

15. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

@raevn if you know how could you give some info about buikd bar icon moddig?
    cause i´m trying to make this:
    [​IMG]
    into a t2 like (dark blue colour).
    But I have 0 knowledge of how to do so, (programms needed, some tips of how to use them,..).
  16. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

stuart98 and tracert like this.
  17. aidanofvt

aidanofvt New Member

Alright, I can see what files I would need to edit for a simple balance mod, but how can I save them into a coherent "MOD?" Like, how can I make my file-changes into something the game recognizes as a mod?
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Would you be able to remove PA Mod Manager from the Tools section? It hasn't been a valid tool for a couple of years now, but the post is still really helpful. In its place you might want to point to the Planetary Annihilation Titans Modding Wiki.

Also for consideration, Visual Studio Code, given that a lot of people seem to still use Notepad++ despite being inferior for the task due to the lack of real-time validation.
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General