PA is really, really bad on Linux right now

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by liamdawe, August 22, 2014.

1. xkjq

xkjq New Member

I've had to move back to using --software-ui again. Without it I still get the blackscreen and resizing doesn't fix it.
  2. xkjq

xkjq New Member

It's better, but by no means "fixed".
  3. atari911

atari911 New Member

Updated my Intel drivers today (Mesa) and an update came through on Steam for the game and I am able to run without using the --software-ui switch and i get full menu! Also, the game has not had the control issue in a while so that may be fixed as well...

Look guys, i know that the game is released and people are paying for it but it really seems that the Uber guys are making progress on the Linux front... Not only that but they are actually fixing bugs which means they care about the Linux world! Part of loving and using Linux is being outside of that walled garden and sometimes that means the work needs to be done by real people rather than a huge bureaucratic machine.

This thread is getting less relevant by the week!
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. atari911

atari911 New Member

I was so excited that the menu worked without the switch I didnt even start to play... looks like there are some interesting things going on:

1) There is a small artifact (a black line) above the cursor.
    2) The metal spots icons are being displayed with a air unit icon (I think its the Firefly icon).
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I think you can fix 1) with the mouse cursor fix mod, which you can find on PAMM. You need that if you don't use --software-ui. I'm surprised you get even a half-decent mouse cursor actually. :)
    I have seen 2) a really long time ago. It may have even been during alpha. The solution then was to open the debugger and go to the icon atlas view and hover your mouse over the elements if I remember correctly. That forces a reload, which get you the proper icons again. That bug was supposed to be gone though.
    Out of curiosity, what version of Mesa are you on now by the way?
  6. yrrep

yrrep Member

I've always thought both of them were basically the same issue. At least for me, the uifix mod always affected both. (If I recall correctly.)
  7. DeathByDenim

Ah, could be. It's been a while.
  8. atari911

atari911 New Member

FYI; setting the --software-ui back fixes both problems so they are related to that fix.

The Mesa drivers i am running right now are:
  9. DeathByDenim

Could you also try without the --software-ui, but with the Mouse Cursor Fix mod on PAMM? If that fixes it too, then you can simply ditch the software UI.
  10. atari911

atari911 New Member

Yea will do.
  11. atari911

atari911 New Member

Looks like with the --software-ui off and the Mouse Cursor Fix mod applied everything works pretty much as expected. The icons are now correct and the game will exit back to the main menu without giving a black screen.

I played about 5 games vs the AI and not one of them did the input crash so it looks like that may be gone for good now! - Really helps when playing muti-player!

The only thing i noticed was one of my air fabbers was showing as brown when i was playing as purple.
    cdrkf and DeathByDenim like this.
  12. hobarrera

hobarrera New Member

I'm getting the same issue on Archlinux, Intel HD 5000:

mesa 10.3.0
    xf86-video-intel 2.99.916

Shouldn't the have dissapeared post-alpha?