Feature Request: Incidental Annihilasering

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cwarner7264, September 12, 2014.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Just watched this video (timestamped link to highlight what I mean)

Any planets that get in the way of that massive laser beam? They should totally die.
    corteks, Quitch, mot9001 and 11 others like this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

if they get in the way they should block the shot ... while being destroyed ... :D
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Agreed, same as incidental planet smashing, incidental annihilasing should occour (annihilasing, anihhilaserd...ect....Uber just loves adding odd words to the dictionary)
  4. cwarner7264

Thread title amended ;)
  5. MrTBSC

i have a better one... annihilaseration :p ... BAMMM!!!
  6. cwarner7264

Annihilaserization?

Wow. 8 syllables.
  7. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

this could lead to rage inducing misfortune, as you would have to estimate the travel time of any orbiting planets in relation to the laser charging. Nice idea though, seeing as incidental smashes are in!
  8. linike860

linike860 Uber Alumni

We discussed this in the office quite a bit. I believe we actually had it implemented at one time (I could be wrong), but we decided that this had the potential to be a huge annoyance for players. What if you didn't see your other planet getting in the way while your annihilaser was charging up? How do we show that another planet will get hit in the process? People already get confused enough with the incidental planet collisions and that one has a clear line showing potential collisions in its path. Some people already feel that annihilaser ends the game too quickly and making it take down multiple planets would make it so much more powerful. If they were blocked instead that would probably the most preferable IMO, but it would still need to be very clearly illustrated that it might be blocked.
    camycamera, cdrkf, zgrssd and 7 others like this.
  9. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

lol ninja'd :p
  10. MrTBSC

7 actualy ... an-ni-hi-la-se-ra-tion ... why rization?
    nevermind ... + 1 for hitting the wrong planet accidently with the actual target being missed ...
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Planets accidentally smashing an allied planet needs a similar UI so I don't accidentally kill myself because the planet I send to smash hits my main planet.
    Remy561 likes this.
  12. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Maybe wait till the planet is out of the way then? You could add a notification with annihilaser waiting for planet or something.
  13. linike860

linike860 Uber Alumni

I agree.
  14. MrTBSC

additionaly it would need a rechargefunction either in the form of a cool down or consuming enregy till ready ...
    i understand it`s an endgameweapon and even a/the gameender ... but players should still have a bit more chance to stop it after the first shot has been made ...
  15. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I <3 you.
    drz1 and ArchieBuld like this.
  16. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

would it be possible to let the game detect that there is an object in the way so it would wait for the right moment to fire the laser?? I think it looks pretty ugly if you shoot through the sund or planets...
  17. linike860

linike860 Uber Alumni

What if you target a planet that is always on the other side of the sun or another planet than you? Should it fail? Should that planet effectively be safe? That seems bad to me, but others may disagree. I still think that blocking would be preferable to this and that lasers can shoot through the sun without affecting it.
    Remy561 likes this.
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Can I just say that I love your profile picture.

Teeheehee, *hides*
    Raevn, Geers, websterx01 and 2 others like this.
  19. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

I'm agree with that.
    we are legion, we are ponys
  20. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

If this realyl is a laser and we are very literral, then no: It cannot fire through the sun.
    Photons have a really hard time getting out of that hot plasma ball in the first place. The ones you see being emitted now? They were produced first around 10k-170k years ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#Core, 2nd last paragraph) and have been bouncing between atoms trying to get some interstellar medium.
    It is really, really dense and really, really big/resistant to extra energy. Actually you are more likely to expand the sun by shooting it with that laser (because when it get's hotter it get's bigger, wich in turn lowers the fusion reaction so it grows colder...).

Similar things would happen with gas giants. You are more likely to ignite the thing into a temporary sun then blow it up.

I see one primary reason not to (and why perhaps accidental halyeing should also not happen:
    Solar orbits are not nearly as neat and tidy as that abstracted 2D view of the solar system wants to make you beleive.
    We think it works like this:
    [​IMG]

When it is actually like this:
    [​IMG]

Notice how every single planet says "no" about conforming to a nice, flat disk of orbits around the sun? And that is our boring old Sol we talk about, not one of the fancier systems that can't even produce life.

I still think we should keep the System Map 2d. Currently it is the closest we get to a conventional minimap. Adding a 3rd dimension will only consufes players, increase processing cost and add nothing.

I think you should go back to halleyed plaents passing other planets along the way.
    Just make it look like they pass over or under it (rather then clipping through).
    Raevn likes this.