More Misinformation and Bad Publicity

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, September 12, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Last edited: September 12, 2014
    drz1 likes this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well the first post of that thread is *now* by someone much better informed it seams :) I read it and was wondering "what is Brian on about?" until I realised it wasn't actually the OP :p

The comments I've been reading there are actually fairly sensible for once.
    websterx01, cmdandy and Geers like this.
  3. Spriggan43

Spriggan43 Active Member

Why do people hate Uber/PA? Can someone please explain?
    squishypon3 likes this.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I was thinking the same. Although, you'd think you should bring things like this to the proper attention. If reddit is so big, it shouldn't allow isolation from one side to let another side fester some of the most visible false statements against another person incapable of defense.

Another reason I hate reddit. "Hey guys, we shadowbanned the opposing opinion, time to tell the whole internet any wild *** lie you want with no punishment!"

Pfft, if they shadowban brian, and then threads with incorrect information keeps popping up, I wonder if reddit would chew over the resulting slander lawsuit from Uber and consider possibly not harboring extremely biased arguements in the future?

Their website, their content, their responsibility for the accuracy or it's effect in the wild yonder.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  6. brianpurkiss

7. cwarner7264

It's not just limited to vote brigading - comment brigading is also not supposed to happen. Asking people to "help correct misinformation" will land you on the wrong side of the admins if they so choose, and they do keep a particularly close eye on /r/pcmasterrace after last time.

Not trying to criticise, by the way, just trying to save you from potential hassle.
    shootall likes this.
  8. brianpurkiss

God forbid new people join the conversation, especially since there are entire subreddits built around linking to other reddit posts.
  9. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

The linked post is from @blondishmist748 who pretty much is a troll at this point. Just search for his threads here on the forums or his nonsensical rambling on Reddit.

Here's one of his (deleted) threads: http://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryan...rzn/hey_guys_it_is_released_and_still_crashes
  10. cwarner7264

IKR. But we all have to toe the line as best we can.
  11. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

I like reddit, but this is daft.
    All sides of the conversation should be accommodated, and people should be allowed to vote. That post is clearly biased, poorly constructed and inflammatory, and if it creates offense and a flame war then reddit should be equipped to deal with that like the democratic discussion forum it purports itself to be.
    drz1 and websterx01 like this.
  12. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Kickstarter is based on backers. Backers invest money into projects they like.
    As such backers are easier to bait by trolls.

There is also a minor chance the big publisher are encouraging/taking part in this via intermediary. They don't want kickstarter to be too successfull and this is kickstarter game.
    I would not do that from a personal point of view, but from the publishers/trolls point of view attackign kickstarter games makes a lot sense.
  13. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Even though there is a lot of misinformation and exaggeration...its very clear that MANY people hate the launch status of Planetary Annihilation, if we are hearing it from reddit, steam and many other places...then there was something wrong with the launch, because the amount that we hear is just overwhelming to be just a few isolated trolls
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It's partially because of intense bias.
  15. JWest

JWest Active Member

1) They made a lot of money on their kickstarter, making a lot of outside people cautious to begin with (indie developer with a sudden influx of cash)
    2) When it was first on steam a lot of people saw a $90 game that was just a buggy alpha, and called it a scam, which started the negative publicity.
    3) The game is online only now, which is driving more people away.

I don't agree with these conclusions people are making, but these are the common reasons from what I've seen.
    drz1 likes this.
  16. squishypon3

The first one is the least viable in my opinion, 2 million dollars to make an RTS of this scale is NOT a lot. Supcom was something like 10 - 12 million was it?

People and their ignorance.. bah.. :p
    devoh and spittoon like this.
  17. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Trying to correct misinformation is discouraged? Good lord, what a cesspool reddit must be...
    bengeocth likes this.
  18. brianpurkiss

Yeah. A lot of people think that 2 million is more than enough money to build a game.
    drz1 likes this.
  19. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

How do you know they only got 2 million?
    They got 2.2 Million from the kickstarter in 1month + The alpha access + beta access + all the steam sales + sales on their shop. How many copys did they sell in 2 years? PA was several times in the steam topseller list. 100k ? What was the price? There was no publisher so they got almost all the revenue fromt he sales?

I don think 2 million is a lot to build a big game but I think they got far more money than that. You can hardly call that budget they have now an indie game...
  20. squishypon3

But that was after they already had the engine built and such, a big part of the game. You can't just add it up, as it's money coming over time.
    pieman2906 likes this.