[REL] Custom Skybox

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by superouman, February 16, 2014.

1. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

I'm trying to get a PIP without a skybox taking up precious screen real estate. I'm thinking that the easiest way to do this would be to tell the PiP to render a custom skybox, and point it to a file with a transparent skybox. What do people use to make skyboxes?
  2. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

Hate to disappoint you, but that is unlikely to work. The PIP-pipeline likely does not have support for transparency and compositing images with transparency already. You could message @varrak who might be able to tell you more about what options you have, but it's not as simple as rendering a transparent skybox in the PiP.
  3. trialq

trialq Post Master General

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...-from-space-engine-and-import-it-to-pa.56567/

This will change all skyboxes. I don't know if transparency works, I doubt it but you can find out. Let us know how you get on.
  4. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

Thanks for the responses. I edited a side of the face to see what happens when I delete all the colors in Photoshop and save it with transparency. Looks like the main camera defaults to white, while the pip goes to black. I don't have any more technical knowledge to throw at this.

Attached Files:

5. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

where is the link? i want to download the mod but i cant find the link ;:C
  6. trialq

adoghost likes this.
  7. rollcage

rollcage New Member

I'm not able to make "Custom Skybox" mod to work. I'm wondering if it can be someting with PA Mod Manager to do..?

The "PA Install Location" is blank when I run PA Mod Manager. I have the game installed of D drive instead of default C:

There is a blue dot on custom skybox.. And all the .papa files are there..

Attached Files:

8. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Did you just installed PAMM and the mod ? In that case, you need to run PA directly the first time, and PAMM will afterwards auto detect PA's location. I don't know if PAMM shadows the files / loads the mods until PA location is set. Give it a try and let us know
  9. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

The only requirement is that PA has to have been run once in the entire history of the computer. It doesn't matter if PAMM was installed at the time or not. If there is a log file, PAMM will find it and extract the installation path. Even if it doesn't, the mods will still work. The only thing that won't work then is the "Launch PA" button, but you can still just start PA in the normal way.

@rollcage, can you post the log files in c:/Users/ xxx /AppData/Local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log ? There might be some info about the mod not loading. Also, does the "xxx" part contain international characters?
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  10. rollcage

rollcage New Member

The log folder is empty
    (C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log)

I also tried to install Storage Wars (start with 50k meteal), but that did also not work when I started a skirmish. Still wondering if the blank path below PA Install location could be the problem..
  11. DeathByDenim

"Also, does the "xxx" part contain international characters?" :)
    Or is your username really MyUser?

It seems to have trouble reading/writing stuff to your local PA directory. So no logs, no mods, etc. I've only seen that happen when the username contains international characters. Do you have that?
  12. rollcage

rollcage New Member

Good question Mr.

It actually contain a Nordic letter "ø". Does it have to be international letters only?
  13. DeathByDenim

Hmm, I guess that bug is still around. That's annoying. There is a rather complicated workaround that involves making a new user account on Windows without international characters and run PAMM and PA from there.

It should also be possible with the "Run as..." menu option from your main account and selecting the newly created user. The menu option should appear when you right click the PA or PAMM executable, I think. This is from memory, so it may not be accurate, but I can't seem to find the post or bug report at the moment.
    rollcage likes this.
  14. trialq

This the second time today I've seen someone talk about workarounds with new windows accounts without weird symbols. @Mereth suggested it for pamm.
    rollcage likes this.
  15. rollcage

rollcage New Member

Thanks so much for the support guys, mostly appreciated! Even though I didn't like the final answer so much :p
  16. DeathByDenim

Well, if you are interested. I did find the post I was talking about. See here. Incidentally, this is bug FS#3041. Vote for it to get more attention for it.
    rollcage likes this.
  17. snierke

snierke Active Member

Ok, Im a noob, but cant find the folder? I have windows 7, I play PA through steam, I have 3 disks were Windows is installed in one, Steam in another disk.
  18. DeathByDenim

Try <Win>+R and then type "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\mods\CustomSkybox\pa\terrain\sky\textures". That macro should expand to the correct location in Windows, I think.
  19. snierke

snierke Active Member

Thanks, will try when get home
  20. maxor242

maxor242 New Member

I have just downloaded the mod and tested some skyboxes, but I realized that I never backed up the default skybox to anywhere. How can I recover that file?