PA Metacritic reviews

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Shwyx, September 9, 2014.

1. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

The only problem with that is not visible enough. So not enough eyeballs and gray goo have seen it. larger amount of people need to see it.;)
    drz1 likes this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Unfortunately a lot of people still reference user reviews for their decisions.
    lokiCML and drz1 like this.
  3. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Some how I don't think a "yeah, yeah, it's coming, shut up already" is going to work out as well as some think.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Here's mine. PLEASE upvote on meta!

I find it funny that people are rating this so low. I have been a long time supporter of Uber Entertainement and this is by far the only game and company that got me interested in competitive RTS and game developing in general. Before i talk about the actual game (which is going to be the majority of this review), i want to explain why people are rating it low.

Uber created a kickstarter page back in the days around 2 years ago, and they surpassed their goal by A LOT. They promised features that would be implemented in version 1. Those features WERE implemented! Naval battles, gas giants, full orchestral score... ALL OF IT! Take one good look on the forums and you'll see no one asking where those features are. About offline mode; technically that was not a promised feature since it was never shown on the goals page, and Uber knows this. They will implement offline within weeks or even less. It's really some BS what people are saying... :(

About bugs; There are many bugs. So many that I am making this rating a 9 instead of 10. I told Uber it was a bad idea to release the game so early, but they did anyway. But, this does not mean the bugs are bad or gamebreaking at all. In fact, there are just minor bugs floating around inside the code that is being worked on almost 24/7 by Uber and the community combined. No crashes, no freezes, etc.

About performance, including client and server side; You need RAM. A LOT of ram. I have 8 gigs and at the end of a game with many planets i am up to 98% usage. It does not stutter though, it is perfectly smooth unless you have 4GB. I recommend 16GB. This game, on client side is perfect. You can trust me on that one. (unless you have a terrible PC ofc.)------ Server side; for being able to build thousands of units, almost 50,000 in a single game, these servers are running amazing. Nuff said... jk. When lag does strike it hits in the form of slow-motion carnage, instead of rubberbanding or stuttering, that makes lag sometimes even fun.

About the lore/game concepts; you should not be reading a review for this, check out the steam info.

Conclusion: This is one of the most ambitious games ever made during this generation. PA is under constant development, even an active Modding community that makes things like "team color commander explosions" or "Boom Bot wars". There's even balance mods for a change. I bet no other smaller studio could develop a game of this scale in even in 2 years. BUT WAIT... it's not done being made. The release tag is something i don't like, it should still be beta stage (gamma as they called it, almost finished but not quite).

if you actually want to play one of the most epic RTS games created, then you need to be the one to prove the whiners and haters that this game is worth your money and time.
    drz1 and Planktum like this.
  5. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

In no uncertain terms should Uber tell potential customers or the community-at-large to shut up.;) What should be done is then telling everybody the reasons behind those features not being in the initial release being foreword, up front, honest, etc. That could mitigate, minimize, lesson some of the misunderstanding and visceral responses.:)
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

seriously don´t bother with meta critic ... like at all ... the way the rating works there is just abissmal ...
    what matters is still how much you get out of reviews informationwise rating like this is at best moot
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

we didn't do too bad. is anyone seeing my review topmost or does it just always show your own review topmost?
  8. tohron

tohron Active Member

That's not entirely true - when looking at crowd based reviews for a product, I usually look for the ones that are somewhat critical, but aren't displaying obvious biases or irrationality. If I see the same themes cropping up in different such reviews, I pay attention, otherwise, I'm inclined to look at the product favorably.

I definitely do tend to ignore the 10/10s and 0/10s though.
  9. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Here's what I think of Metacritic:

lokiCML and stuart98 like this.
  10. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

There are no critic reviews for PA at the moment, it seems Uber did a pretty good job on telling medias to suppress them.
  11. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Because Uber has the necessity, funds or inclination, right?
    squishypon3 likes this.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yeah, there's no way Uber could do that, I'd imagine that'd be EXPENSIVE.
  13. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

I rarely read 10 or 0-2 reviews, as they almost are always very biased, i do like 4 and 8 ratings a lot as they tend to be the most reasonable (4? really? ya its just me) but will read 3, 5-7, and 9.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  14. icycalm

All reviews are biased. That's what having an opinion means. In the case of 10s or 0s they are just very positive or very negative opinions which you don't agree with.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  15. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Well there is a difference in how extreme a bias can go however
  16. icycalm

Yeah, but if you discount all 10s it means that you believe that masterpieces are impossible.

The question is not the rating. It is the person who is making it.
  17. squishypon3

Not really.

You see the bias he's talking about is something like.

Someone who gives a 0/10 because they hate the company, or its principles. I've seen reviews of PA that were 0/10s that listed a buncha stuff that was done right yet because PA had a in game store for example it was 0/10. That's a ridiculous bias.

It's like the;

10/10 "It was okay" -IGN

Meme.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Crap on Metacritic all you like but let's be honest: Most people can tell the difference between rants and actual reviews.
    bradaz85 and drz1 like this.
  19. icycalm

But that's still his opinion, no? And no matter what you do or say, you can't take that away from him (which is what people try to do when they label someone's opinions as "biased") For example, I hate "indie" games. All the "indie" games I've reviewed I've given them 2/5 max, and I have not played any of them for more than 20 minutes because I can't stand them. Now you would say I am "biased", and I would agree with you, but it's not my fault that games made under the influence of a certain ideology tend to have similar characteristics that I dislike. And it's the same with someone hating the output of a particular company or genre or whatever. You can say that our opinions are bad or stupid or inferior, and you can try to explain why, but simply saying that we are "biased" and thinking that you've made a point is not going to cut it, as far as I am concerned.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  20. squishypon3

No, because giving a game a rate because of things that have nothing to do with the game play experience isn't fair, and saying a game is good, yet giving it a false score is purposely missleading.
    meir22344 and drz1 like this.